Fraud Art Still Holy?

If you're new to the forum or new to Buddhism, this is the best place for your questions. Responses require moderator approval before they are visible.
Tenma

Fraud Art Still Holy?

Post by Tenma » Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:17 am

So, I recently found out that the [name of an organisation], and have found it to be more New Age Fraudery, especially in gurus.

Seeing how they are fake, does that mean all the beautiful artwork such as the one of Yeshe Tsogyal, Padmasambhava, Green Tara, etc. are unholy? Or what? Can one still utilise them? If they are still holy, then can images such as artworks of Green Tara from the fraudulent "True Buddha" School be used for daily practice? Or one must use a thangka or some artwork approved my lamas?

Vasana

Re: Fraud Art Still Holy?

Post by Vasana » Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:34 am

Even a dog's tooth can be seen as a relic...

In terms of thangkas I would imagine the determining factor is whether it's actually accurate and consistent with any Sadhana you practice. I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will chime in but proportions ,ornaments, mudras and other visual features are something that should be adhered to if you are doing a set practice but this might not always be a rule. Some contemporary images although fit for general devotion and connecting with the nature of the deity/yidam may not always be apt for practices.

It's likely one of those things where you should just ask the teachers from whom you received the practices..I would imagine you would receive different answers from dfferent teachers dependent on their view and the view of the practices in question.
'When alone, watch your mind. When with others, watch your speech'- Old Kadampa saying.

Simon E.

Post by Simon E. » Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:50 am

'Holiness' does not reside in art works. They are imbued with significance by the observer.

If they are canonically correct, with orthodox proportions and imagery, and not just arbitrary images, then they are suitable.
“ When the demon is at your door, in the morning it won’t be there no more
Any major dude will tell you”.

Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris » Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:48 pm

£$&^@ wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:50 am
'Holiness' does not reside in art works. They are imbued with significance by the observer.

If they are canonically correct, with orthodox proportions and imagery, and not just arbitrary images, then they are suitable.
You do realise that you are making concurrent contradictory claims?
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde

Simon E.

Post by Simon E. » Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:42 pm

No I didn't realise that. Still don't.
“ When the demon is at your door, in the morning it won’t be there no more
Any major dude will tell you”.

Tenma

Post by Tenma » Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:01 pm

Vasana wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:34 am
Even a dog's tooth can be seen as a relic...

In terms of thangkas I would imagine the determining factor is whether it's actually accurate and consistent with any Sadhana you practice. I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will chime in but proportions ,ornaments, mudras and other visual features are something that should be adhered to if you are doing a set practice but this might not always be a rule. Some contemporary images although fit for general devotion and connecting with the nature of the deity/yidam may not always be apt for practices.

It's likely one of those things where you should just ask the teachers from whom you received the practices..I would imagine you would receive different answers from dfferent teachers dependent on their view and the view of the practices in question.
Ok, thank you. I believe that answers the question.

Return to “Discovering Mahayana Buddhism”