Football and Buddhism

If you're new to the forum or new to Buddhism, this is the best place for your questions. Responses require moderator approval before they are visible.
gettingthere

Football and Buddhism

Post by gettingthere »

Hi there - I'm new to Buddhism and just trying to understand how this works out in different areas of life - especially understanding and handling emotions. How does Buddhism impact on supporting a particular football team? Should I aim to eliminate that? Or just reduce it? Or am I misunderstanding things?! :juggling:

Thank you! :smile:
Simon E.

Re: Football and Buddhism

Post by Simon E. »

How does it work out in terms of preferring apples to oranges?
Or preferring your mother to someone else's mother?

The Buddhist doctrine of Upekkha..'equanimity', does not mean that in everyday life we won't have preferences and loyalties and tastes.
It means that we should always be aware of the real importance of things. And that in the end everything..football teams, apples, and mums..pass away.
“You don’t know it. You just know about it. That is not the same thing.”

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche to me.
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

Nobody circles the wagons like the Buffalo Bills.
Go Bills.

The owner of this site is a Raiders fan.

I dunno. I'm not a Buddha.

"Lord, make me pure, but not yet."
-Augustine

The Bills need to win a Superbowl first.

:tongue:
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

I think it's fine to enjoy the winning of your team.

Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

:rolling:
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Queequeg wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:05 pm The owner of this site is a Raiders fan.
:D Silver & Black, what better place than sin city, Vegas. Only one more year to go before they relocate here.

Are we talking about Fútbol or Football? :tongue:

I think it's fine for lay people to engage in some mindless entertainments from time to time. Equanimity might be tested, but that's good too. One could get happy or sad depending on the outcome, as long as it doesn't go too far, it's perfectly fine. The line would only get crossed (imo) if one started trashing your place in anger, engaging in violence, flipping out, etc. In the end, it's just a game and entertainment, nothing to take too seriously.
amanitamusc

Post by amanitamusc »

Queequeg wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:05 pm Nobody circles the wagons like the Buffalo Bills.
Go Bills.

The owner of this site is a Raiders fan.

I dunno. I'm not a Buddha.

"Lord, make me pure, but not yet."
-Augustine

The Bills need to win a Superbowl first.

:tongue:
It would help if you watched Buffalo 66 :twothumbsup:
Yavana

Post by Yavana »

DNS wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:26 am Are we talking about Fútbol or Football? :tongue:
The line would only get crossed (imo) if one started trashing your place in anger, engaging in violence, flipping out, etc.
Could an exception be made in the case of the former sport on account of tradition?

:namaste:
Wayfarer
Former staff member

Post by Wayfarer »

You ought to see the 2000 film, The Cup
While the soccer World Cup is being played in France, two young Tibetan refugees arrive at a monastery/boarding school in exile in India. Its atmosphere of serene contemplation is somewhat disrupted by soccer fever, the chief instigator being a young student, the soccer enthusiast Orgyen. Prevented by various circumstances from seeing the Cup finals on television in a nearby village, Orgyen sets out to organize the rental of a TV set for the monastery. The enterprise becomes a test of solidarity, resourcefulness and friendship for the students, while the Lama, head of the monastery, contemplates the challenges of teaching the word of Buddha in a rapidly changing world.
'Only practice with no gaining idea' ~ Suzuki Roshi
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

A wonderful heart warming film. :thumbsup:

Punya

Post by Punya »

The Cup is directed by Dzongsar Khyentse Rinpoche, who inspired The Football Sutra:
Addressed in this way, noble Dzongsar Khyentse Rinpoche, the bodhisattva football fan,
Said to venerable Philip Philippou,
“Oh, Philip Philippou, a son or daughter of a national team
Who wishes to practise Perfect Ball Control should see in this way:
Seeing that Perfect Ball Control is accomplished when mind is one with the ball.

The ball is always one with the mind; the mind is always one with the ball:
Ball is none other than mind and
Mind is none other than the ball
https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/janines ... sutra/amp/

There's no problem in enjoying everyday activities, the trick is not to be too attached to them.
We abide nowhere. We possess nothing.
~Chatral Rinpoche
Akasamuni

Post by Akasamuni »

gettingthere wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:22 am Hi there - I'm new to Buddhism and just trying to understand how this works out in different areas of life - especially understanding and handling emotions. How does Buddhism impact on supporting a particular football team? Should I aim to eliminate that? Or just reduce it? Or am I misunderstanding things?! :juggling:

I wouldn't necessarily prematurely renounce something like that unless it was responsible for considerable negative mental states. That's for you to judge as we can all respond differently to spectator sports. Remember, Buddhism is not about 'Thou shalt not ... '. The core of Buddhist ethics is about becoming more sensitive to the harm we cause others and ourselves. This becomes more and more subtle over time, so we find that we quite naturally want to do things with our mind that are less excitable. Having said that, there may be areas in our lives where we might need to specifically stop a harmful activity to help that sensitivity along a bit.

I'd just get on with your Buddhist practice, particularly meditation, and you might find that you lose interest in football over time or just feel less attached to game outcomes. You might even enjoy it more, appreciate finer aspects of skill and strategy, appreciate more the opposite teams' qualities etc. With genuine practice and your own authentic growth and development along the path, things will work themselves out.
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

Renounce hatred that appears when the other team scores. :D
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

For those who do virtuous actions,
goodness is what comes to pass.
For those who do non-virtuous actions,
that becomes suffering indeed.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

Miroku wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:58 pm Renounce hatred that appears when the other team scores. :D
Following a football team (and I imagine the same applies to American football or baseball) furnishes many opportunities to develop both Upekkha and Mudita. :smile:

Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

£$&^@ wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:35 pm
Miroku wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:58 pm Renounce hatred that appears when the other team scores. :D
Following a football team (and I imagine the same applies to American football or baseball) furnishes many opportunities to develop both Upekkha and Mudita. :smile:
Reading how dharma can be woven into ones life definetly makes me feel Mudita :twothumbsup: .
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

For those who do virtuous actions,
goodness is what comes to pass.
For those who do non-virtuous actions,
that becomes suffering indeed.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

SunWuKong

Post by SunWuKong »

gettingthere wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:22 am Hi there - I'm new to Buddhism and just trying to understand how this works out in different areas of life - especially understanding and handling emotions. How does Buddhism impact on supporting a particular football team? Should I aim to eliminate that? Or just reduce it? Or am I misunderstanding things?! :juggling:

gettingthere: are you still here? What did you decide?
"We are magical animals that roam" ~ Roam
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

Maybe he got there.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Yavana wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:31 am
DNS wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:26 am Are we talking about Fútbol or Football? :tongue:
The line would only get crossed (imo) if one started trashing your place in anger, engaging in violence, flipping out, etc.
Could an exception be made in the case of the former sport on account of tradition?
No. :tongue:

:rules:
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Queequeg wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:56 pm
Over 2 million views for that you tube video; it's amazing sometimes which videos get so many views.

Return to “Discovering Mahayana Buddhism”