Another Topic of molesting female practitioner

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
如傑優婆塞

Re: Another Topic of molesting female practitioner

Post by 如傑優婆塞 »

And to add on to the OP posting, as recent as last month (one may look at the date of the FB posting provided below), a Malaysian Tibetan Buddhist centre, Losang Dragpa Center (an affiliate of FPMT) posted a pinned event that features Dagri Rinpoche as an invited Dharma host for their Vesak Day based schedule and then about a day ago, their FB page was inundated with accusatory comments that aren't visible now with LDC issuing an interim statement:

We notice there has been comments and discussion on an accusation against H.E Dagri Rinpoche. As a dharma centre, we take the comments seriously and would investigate further and announce our stand in a statement later. LDC is devoted to the transmission of the Mahayana Buddhist tradition and values through teaching, meditation and community service.

May the legal due process & justice prevail :anjali:
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

This is just sad. What more it will put a very bad press on FPMT which can easily be called one of the best organizations of such a type in the west. Really just sad.
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

For those who do virtuous actions,
goodness is what comes to pass.
For those who do non-virtuous actions,
that becomes suffering indeed.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Post by Schrödinger’s Yidam »

These guys need to give up on celibacy, get a Tinder app, & learn to keep their hands off the congregation—even if she initiated it. That’s the simplest answer to all these lama dramas.
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
2. I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against lama abuse.
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)
jet.urgyen

Post by jet.urgyen »

being monk is a serious thing, breaking vows might lead to misfortune states such as being a minor demon.

Btw, "Rinpoche" title is becoming a double edged sword as people are not precaucious.
true dharma is inexpressible.

The bodhisattva nourishes from bodhicitta, through whatever method the Buddha has given him. Oh joy.
Schrödinger’s Yidam

javier.espinoza.t wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 5:50 pm being monk is a serious thing, breaking vows might lead to misfortune states such as being a minor demon.

Btw, "Rinpoche" title is becoming a double edged sword as people are not precaucious.
“Monk” means celibate. “Rinpoche” does not.

For anyone that has preconceived notions about what the rinpoche title means I suggest they watch Gesar Mukpo’s documentary “Tulku”. It’s quite an eye-opener.
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)
jet.urgyen

Post by jet.urgyen »

smcj wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 5:59 pm
javier.espinoza.t wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 5:50 pm being monk is a serious thing, breaking vows might lead to misfortune states such as being a minor demon.

“Monk” means celibate. “Rinpoche” does not.

For anyone that has preconceived notions about what the rinpoche title means I suggest they watch Gesar Mukpo’s documentary “Tulku”. It’s quite an eye-opener.
this person seems to be a monk.

The bodhisattva nourishes from bodhicitta, through whatever method the Buddha has given him. Oh joy.
zerwe

Post by zerwe »

Ugh. Whole range of emotions here from sadness to real distress. One center that is hosting Dagri Rinpoche
have posted (what would seem to be an alternate explanation) for why Dagri Rinpoche will be delayed in his schedule. I have been a FPMT practitioner/supporter for ten years and I want to see the organization do the right thing. These allegations seem credible and I don't know what to expect going forward.

Shaun :cry:
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Monk” means celibate. “Rinpoche” does not.

What makes you think so? I live with monks, nuns, and people that wear “lay robes”. The difference in clothing comes down to how the skirt is folded. I still have to look twice to see the difference.

In this case it’s a moot point. She was a nun at the time. It’s a major no-no to seduce a nun. Plus in the #me-too era any clergy/congregant sex is classified as abuse if the congregant complains. That’s true even if the congregant initiates it and willingly participated for years. After it’s over, if they complain, it is abuse. The clergy is charged with having a “fiduciary responsibility” to make sure it doesn’t happen. The clergy alone is responsible regardless of any specifics in the relationship.

At least that’s the position of “An Olive Branch”, which has been involved with the Lama Norlha R, Sogyal R, and Sakya Mipham R scandals.

Like I said, get a Tinder app.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

smcj wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 2:36 pm These guys need to give up on celibacy, get a Tinder app, & learn to keep their hands off the congregation—even if she initiated it. That’s the simplest answer to all these lama dramas.
These kinds of things happen all the time with men in powerful positions, they aren't unique to Vajrayana or even religion generally. Celibacy is not a requirement for them to happen either, obviously. lack of respect for the autonomy and dignity of women is the problem, not celibacy or some particular religious setup.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
jet.urgyen

Post by jet.urgyen »

smcj wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 6:29 pm
Monk” means celibate. “Rinpoche” does not.

What makes you think so? I live with monks, nuns, and people that wear “lay robes”. The difference in clothing comes down to how the skirt is folded. I still have to look twice to see the difference.

In this case it’s a moot point. She was a nun at the time. It’s a major no-no to seduce a nun. Plus in the #me-too era any clergy/congregant sex is classified as abuse if the congregant complains. That’s true even if the congregant initiates it and willingly participated for years. After it’s over, if they complain, it is abuse. The clergy is charged with having a “fiduciary responsibility” to make sure it doesn’t happen. The clergy alone is responsible regardless of any specifics in the relationship.

At least that’s the position of “An Olive Branch”, which has been involved with the Lama Norlha R, Sogyal R, and Sakya Mipham R scandals.

Like I said, get a Tinder app.
i think so because of his robes. if a lay person wears monk's robes, that isn't good at all, that's deceiving.

i don't blame a priori, we should see how this news develops.

Schrödinger’s Yidam

I think so because of his robes. if a lay person wears monk's robes, that isn't good at all, that's deceiving.
Con you tell the difference between monk’s robes and “lay robes”?
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Dharma As A Business(DAAB) is the new model. but sexual exploitation is widespread and wrecking the brand. If that gets wrecked the business is dead. There is lots of room for Tantric magicians and yogis, even ones who practice sexual tantra. Daoists have done this for millennia. Having their cake and eating it too is not working. You can't be a monastic(to take donations) and be sexually active. Creepy unattractive midgets need to stop using rank in a hierarchy and psychological manipulation to get laid. They are so common Tibetan Buddhism is looking like a scam. It makes me wonder how "enlightened" these individuals are if they are so desperate to get laid they cannot even be discrete.

It's sad these teachers did not admit who they were. Many years ago my Teacher asked after a decent retreat if I thought I could teach meditation since I had passed certain tests. I had to answer him honestly. "No Rinpoche, I would bang all my students."
Bristollad

Post by Bristollad »

smcj wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 7:29 pm
I think so because of his robes. if a lay person wears monk's robes, that isn't good at all, that's deceiving.
Con you tell the difference between monk’s robes and “lay robes”?
Dagri Rinpoche is a monk and was my ordination master when I took novice vows. He was one of the 10 fullly ordained monks that are required to be present for the recent ordinations given in McLeod Ganj by His Holiness.

His Holiness always suggests that lay teachers should not wear clothing that might make someone think they are ordained when they are not. The young Serkong Rinpoche is a good example of a suitable approach in that regard:

Underneath this, he normally wears a shirt and jeans.
Last edited by Bristollad on Wed May 08, 2019 8:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The antidote—to be free from the suffering of samsara—you need to be free from delusion and karma; you need to be free from ignorance, the root of samsara. So you need to meditate on emptiness. That is what you need. Lama Zopa Rinpoche
Schrödinger’s Yidam

You can't be a monastic(to take donations) and be sexually active.
I’m going to guess you’re not a Nyingmapa.
Creepy unattractive midgets need to stop using rank in a hierarchy and psychological manipulation to get laid.
What say you to all the happy marriages between lamas and their students? A blanket condemnation of them too? Of course not.

Bottom line is it’s too complicated and messy to sort things out on a case by case basis. So the new rule has to be; don’t touch the students. It simply isn’t manageable any other way.

Like I said, have them give back their vows, get a Tinder app, & tell them to stay away from their students.

Simple.
Last edited by Schrödinger’s Yidam on Wed May 08, 2019 8:39 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Bristollad

Post by Bristollad »

Nemo wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 7:32 pm Creepy unattractive midgets
You have someone particular in mind? Most Tibetan monks I've met are taller than me including Dagri Rinpoche and I've never been called a midget. Short maybe, but not a midget (I'm around 5'8" in the morning and 5'7" by nightfall :tongue: ).
The antidote—to be free from the suffering of samsara—you need to be free from delusion and karma; you need to be free from ignorance, the root of samsara. So you need to meditate on emptiness. That is what you need. Lama Zopa Rinpoche
zerwe

Post by zerwe »

zerwe wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 6:13 pm Ugh. Whole range of emotions here from sadness to real distress. One center that is hosting Dagri Rinpoche
have posted (what would seem to be an alternate explanation) for why Dagri Rinpoche will be delayed in his schedule. I have been a FPMT practitioner/supporter for ten years and I want to see the organization do the right thing. These allegations seem credible and I don't know what to expect going forward.

Shaun :cry:
My mistake. Land of Joy's announcement regarding their programme with Dagri Rinpoche was posted on April, 1. However, it does sound as though some centers have had the opportunity to speak up and have not at this time. If the accusations are indeed credible this is disappointing.
Shaun
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

smcj wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 8:04 pm
You can't be a monastic(to take donations) and be sexually active.
I’m going to guess you’re not a Nyingmapa.
Creepy unattractive midgets need to stop using rank in a hierarchy and psychological manipulation to get laid.
What say you to all the happy marriages between lamas and their students? A blanket condemnation of them too? Of course not.

Bottom line is it’s too complicated and messy to sort things out on a case by case basis. So the new rule has to be; don’t touch the students. It simply isn’t manageable any other way.

Like I said, have them give back their vows, get a Tinder app, & tell them to stay away from their students.

Simple.
My point is simply about being a hypocrite. Don't pretend to be a monk and carelessly bang randoms on the side. Especially if it seems you only want to publicly have vows to make a living. I know a few Lama marriages full of infidelity, betrayal and anger as well. The problem is using rank and psychological manipulation. Generally by the dudes who never had game to begin with. A young consort is wonderful for your health and practice. A truly monumental blessing. One that needs respect, enthusiastic consent and discretion. A good consort can easily prolong the life of a teacher by decades even.

Telling girls to lay on the floor or bend over is not foreplay. Tricks like locking them alone in rooms and invading their personal space, threats, manipulation, lying, etc, etc,... The deluge of creepy behavior coming out lately is severely damaging the Dharma. We will become a joke like Catholic priests.
Schrödinger’s Yidam

My point is simply about being a hypocrite. Don't pretend to be a monk and carelessly bang randoms on the side. Especially if it seems you only want to publicly have vows to make a living. I know a few Lama marriages full of infidelity, betrayal and anger as well. The problem is using rank and psychological manipulation. Generally by the dudes who never had game to begin with. A young consort is wonderful for your health and practice. A truly monumental blessing. One that needs respect, enthusiastic consent and discretion. A good consort can easily prolong the life of a teacher by decades even.

Telling girls to lay on the floor or bend over is not foreplay. Tricks like locking them alone in rooms and invading their personal space, threats, manipulation, lying, etc, etc,... The deluge of creepy behavior coming out lately is severely damaging the Dharma. We will become a joke like Catholic priests.
Okay, so your suggestion is...?
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

smcj wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 10:12 pm

Okay, so your suggestion is...?
Not treating women like shit or props maybe? I know it's a crazy radical notion, but it might just be connected to what's going on here.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”