Best Trek The Next Generation episodes?

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
joy&peace

Best Trek The Next Generation episodes?

Post by joy&peace » Thu May 16, 2019 2:29 am

Ok it's a guilty pleasure, but I was wanting to watch one. Do the community members have any recommendations?

D or Voyager I would watch too.
Om Gate Gate Paragate Parasamgate bodhi svaha

Thomas Amundsen

Re: Best Trek The Next Generation episodes?

Post by Thomas Amundsen » Thu May 16, 2019 3:06 am

Yesterday's Enterprise and Ship in a Bottle are great. TNG has too many good episodes for me to recall. DS9 is great too, but that's best enjoyed by watching every episode start to finish...

Yavana

Post by Yavana » Thu May 16, 2019 3:46 am

Q's line from STNG "All Good Things" about the "unexplored possibilities of existence" stuck with me as a kid. Probably should have watched more shows about hustlers and investors. Maybe.. :shrug:

Thomas Amundsen

Post by Thomas Amundsen » Thu May 16, 2019 7:06 am

Yavana wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 3:46 am
Q's line from STNG "All Good Things" about the "unexplored possibilities of existence" stuck with me as a kid.
Oh, yes, Q! Every episode with Q in it is worth watching.

Tlalok

Post by Tlalok » Thu May 16, 2019 5:30 pm

joy&peace wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 2:29 am
Ok it's a guilty pleasure, but I was wanting to watch one. Do the community members have any recommendations?

I will fight you on TNG being a guilty pleasure. Best is definitely S3E26 - S4E01 "The Best of Both Worlds Pt. 1 and 2", Followed by S4E02 "Family" as a reflection on it. Also a great two parter is "Chain of Command" S6 E10 - 11.

That said, the holodeck episodes are pretty yikes sometimes and a few episodes have dated extremely badly.

Thomas Amundsen

Post by Thomas Amundsen » Thu May 16, 2019 6:08 pm

Tlalok wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 5:30 pm
joy&peace wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 2:29 am

I will fight you on TNG being a guilty pleasure. Best is definitely S3E26 - S4E01 "The Best of Both Worlds Pt. 1 and 2", Followed by S4E02 "Family" as a reflection on it. Also a great two parter is "Chain of Command" S6 E10 - 11.

That said, the holodeck episodes are pretty yikes sometimes and a few episodes have dated extremely badly.
Time's Arrow parts 1&2 which bridge seasons 5 and 6 is one of my favorites. The way they present the time travel loop paradox is so satisfying from beginning to end.

justsit

Post by justsit » Thu May 16, 2019 6:16 pm

What, no Darmok??

Yavana

Post by Yavana » Thu May 16, 2019 6:34 pm

Tlalok wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 5:30 pm
"Chain of Command" S6 E10 - 11.
THERE. ARE. FOUR. LIGHTS.
justsit wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 6:16 pm
What, no Darmok??
I grew to appreciate that episode over time. It always comes to mind when dealing with the issue of "untranslatable worlds," which Queequeg brought up years ago and has proven to be a recurring issue when trying to make sense of Buddhadharma.
Thomas Amundsen wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 7:06 am
Oh, yes, Q! Every episode with Q in it is worth watching.
Definitely. I also like those episodes that feature a "meeting of worlds" in the sense of encounters between disparate levels of development such as when the Enterprise encounters Q, but also when the prime directive is broken or "bent" such as in First Contact and Who Watches the Watchers. Also Contagion, where they go poking around the Iconian ruins.

An interesting theory about Star Trek's Federation that seems to me to be technically right—the best kind of right...

If it wasn't for those Vulcans keeping Earth in check...

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/IDIC

Tlalok

Post by Tlalok » Thu May 16, 2019 6:48 pm

Yavana wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 6:34 pm

An interesting theory about Star Trek's Federation that seems to me to be technically right—the best kind of right...

This is similar to a theme in Iain M. Bank's wonderful Culture novels that feature a post-scarcity, anarchist utopia similar to the Federation. The Culture is objectively more humane than a lot of the other civilizations that they come into contact with. One of the more horrifying ones was a collective of civilizations that create artificial hells for the mindstates of their underclasses to punish them in accordance with their religion. The Culture is right to meddle in that to stop it right? But doesn't that make them just another form of imperialist colonizers? But the Culture can't really ethically exist in a universe full of suffering and violence without also meddling in other people's affairs, so there's a deep contradiction between its internal anarchism and its external imperialism.

Great reads, strongly recommended for any Trekkies.

Yavana

Post by Yavana » Thu May 16, 2019 7:14 pm

Tlalok wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 6:48 pm
The Culture is objectively more humane than a lot of the other civilizations that they come into contact with. One of the more horrifying ones was a collective of civilizations that create artificial hells for the mindstates of their underclasses to punish them in accordance with their religion. The Culture is right to meddle in that to stop it right? But doesn't that make them just another form of imperialist colonizers? But the Culture can't really ethically exist in a universe full of suffering and violence without also meddling in other people's affairs, so there's a deep contradiction between its internal anarchism and its external imperialism.
That entire situation.

No step on snek bruh...

joy&peace

Post by joy&peace » Sat May 18, 2019 5:54 am

So if it's not a guilty pleasure, it's an innocent one?

:ugeek:
:thanks:

How come there are 2 devils but no angels?
Om Gate Gate Paragate Parasamgate bodhi svaha

PeterC

Post by PeterC » Sun May 19, 2019 3:45 pm

Tlalok wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 6:48 pm

This is similar to a theme in Iain M. Bank's wonderful Culture novels that feature a post-scarcity, anarchist utopia similar to the Federation. The Culture is objectively more humane than a lot of the other civilizations that they come into contact with. One of the more horrifying ones was a collective of civilizations that create artificial hells for the mindstates of their underclasses to punish them in accordance with their religion. The Culture is right to meddle in that to stop it right? But doesn't that make them just another form of imperialist colonizers? But the Culture can't really ethically exist in a universe full of suffering and violence without also meddling in other people's affairs, so there's a deep contradiction between its internal anarchism and its external imperialism.

Great reads, strongly recommended for any Trekkies.
One of the recurrent themes of the Culture series is the contrast between the ideals of a society and the means with which those ideals are protected and advanced. This surfaces a bit in The Player of Games but is really hammered home in Use of Weapons.

I don’t think it’s a exaggeration to say that the series is some of the best sci-fi ever written. It’s not just the audacity of the premises - machine intelligences so advanced that their thinking is inconceivable to us, entire battles that take place in a thousandth of a second, the ability to copy, store, transfer and duplicate minds - it’s the way he explores what that would actually mean for societies and individuals in a way that’s so...believable.

Rick

Post by Rick » Sun May 19, 2019 4:19 pm

I found The Measure of a Man (season 2, episode 9) fascinating. Data, the self-aware and sentient android, is in a trial to determine if he should be granted the same rights as other sentient beings. Also fascinating for me: episodes that grapple with the Prime Directive. Q, Borg ... lots of goodies.
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily ...

Nemo

Post by Nemo » Sun May 19, 2019 4:58 pm

Interesting how we thought times had changed. Star Trek was so hopeful. A world with no money or greed. Little did we know a cabal of the rich would destroy that enlightenment to maintain their power. It didn't feel like a golden age but looking back it was much better then where we are heading now. Propaganda is such a terrible power for good or ill. We really thought the powerful would give up without a fight just because we were morally right. Such a rookie mistake.
Perhaps that is why I like the profile pic of me in my bunny suit Image

Rick

Post by Rick » Sun May 19, 2019 5:39 pm

Speaking of naive rookie mistakes ... I still have cognitive dissonance when I run into situations where people are willing to harm others so that they and/or their extensions (children, tribe, organization) can benefit from the others' loss and suffering. I get that initial id-driven lizard brain impulse to defend and protect 'at all cost' ... but find it really hard to imagine calculatingly acting on it.

Nemo

Post by Nemo » Sun May 19, 2019 6:19 pm

Rick wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 5:39 pm
Speaking of naive rookie mistakes ... I still have cognitive dissonance when I run into situations where people are willing to harm others so that they and/or their extensions (children, tribe, organization) can benefit from the others' loss and suffering. I get that initial id-driven lizard brain impulse to defend and protect 'at all cost' ... but find it really hard to imagine calculatingly acting on it.
Perhaps such proclivities were removed from the gene pool at the end of the Eugenics Wars.

Yavana

Post by Yavana » Sun May 19, 2019 8:21 pm

Nemo wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 6:19 pm
Rick wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 5:39 pm
Perhaps such proclivities were removed from the gene pool at the end of the Eugenics Wars.
You don't say.

Rick

Post by Rick » Sun May 19, 2019 9:18 pm

Sigh ... it makes me long for the good old days of the Butlerian Jihad.

Yavana

Post by Yavana » Sun May 19, 2019 9:33 pm

Rick wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 9:18 pm
Sigh ... it makes me long for the good old days of the Butlerian Jihad.
We've got plenty of regular jihad going on these days.

#ThinkPositive

Rick

Post by Rick » Sun May 19, 2019 10:46 pm

Jihad me at "We've."

Return to “Lounge”