Who do psychics talk to?

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
Viach

Who do psychics talk to?

Post by Viach »

Who do psychics talk to in TV shows like "Britain’s Psychic Challenge" when they say they talk to people who have died long ago? After all, according to Buddhism, they have long been reborn.
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Re: Who do psychics talk to?

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

Viach wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 2:36 pm Who do psychics talk to in TV shows like "Britain’s Psychic Challenge" when they say they talk to people who have died long ago? After all, according to Buddhism, they have long been reborn.
It's a scam. Watch the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhMGcp9xIhY

That being said, some beings can be trapped in bardo or reborn in a formless realm, so according to buddhism it could be possible. Also many spirits might pretend to be a relative to pray on the family.
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

For those who do virtuous actions,
goodness is what comes to pass.
For those who do non-virtuous actions,
that becomes suffering indeed.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

Viach wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 2:36 pm Who do psychics talk to in TV shows like "Britain’s Psychic Challenge" when they say they talk to people who have died long ago? After all, according to Buddhism, they have long been reborn.
1) Themselves.
2) Their accountants.
“You don’t know it. You just know about it. That is not the same thing.”

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche to me.
LoveFromColorado

Post by LoveFromColorado »

I don't know that rebirth has to happen immediately, correct?

At any rate, time is a mental construct of man to arbitrarily divide "events" from one another. Such a division is not a part of reality - it is a function of language and the way the human mind has evolved to grasp the echoes arising from the input of stimuli around him/her. Same with cause and effect. It is an artificial mechanism that makes very little sense except when you frame it in the context of replicating reality in your mind so that you perceive "I", "you", "it", etc. Do we find such demarkations of "my birth", "when I became a teenager", etc., in nature? Or what about "you", "me", in general? Where does "I" end and "other" begin? With the skin? That is an arbitrary assignment.

We are all part of one big event that is ongoing like an ink bottle spilled on the floor that, while creating more intricate patterns the finer the flows of ink spread, nonetheless are still part of the same whole. "I" colloquially exists because "you" colloquially does as well but it is an artifical construct we build to make sense of stimuli from some time in the "past". Effectively it means "we" can communicate under an agreed paradigm but the division is a man-made invention. Certainly we perceive other minds around us but our categorization of how that works is largely conventional.

Thus, in my opinion of course, psychically talking to "someone" who is deceased is entirely possible. I would not accept any of it without some validation. That said, I personally know a psychic and have witnessed her doing just these things. She would not go on a TV show, though, so I would be highly suspect of anything commercialized in this regard.
tkp67

Post by tkp67 »

While I do not doubt some have good intention they are all exploiting desire for relief of suffering with a temporal solution reliant on a proprietary guide with methods that one cannot adopt for themselves through training. In my mind that is a very dark and slippery karmic slope.
Dechen Norbu

Post by Dechen Norbu »

£$&^@ wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 3:19 pm
1) Themselves.
2) Their accountants.
:rolling:
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

1) Themselves.
2) Their accountants.
We need a "Best of DW thread."
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
Viach

Post by Viach »

Do you really think that ordinary people (who confirm the information of psychics) can play so naturally?
Drenpa

Post by Drenpa »

1) Themselves.
2) Their accountants.
Yes, could be exhibit A on proposed thread for DW gold. :rolling:
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

May all seek, find & follow the Path of Buddhas.
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

Viach wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 4:35 pm Do you really think that ordinary people (who confirm the information of psychics) can play so naturally?
What do you mean?
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

Drenpa wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 4:58 pm
1) Themselves.
2) Their accountants.
Done! viewtopic.php?f=36&t=31260
PSM

Post by PSM »

1) Themselves.
2) Their accountants.
3) Their lawyers.
Tenma

Post by Tenma »

Viach wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 4:35 pm Do you really think that ordinary people (who confirm the information of psychics) can play so naturally?
People can be deceptive, can they not? Human nature is manipulative and gullible. The Barnum Effect of psychics is truly a demonstration of thus.
Drenpa

Post by Drenpa »

Queequeg wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 7:21 pm
Drenpa wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 4:58 pm

1) Themselves.
2) Their accountants.
Done! viewtopic.php?f=36&t=31260
:twothumbsup:

Return to “Lounge”