Calling the Lama From Afar

smcj

Calling the Lama From Afar

Post by smcj » Sun May 26, 2019 8:55 pm

Does anyone know if Kongtrul has a commentary on “Calling the Lama From Afar ” in his “Treasury of Knowledge”? I’d also be interested in any personal recommendations for other commentaries.

Thanks.
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
2. I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against Lama abuse.
2. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)

Miroku
Former staff member

Re: Calling the Lama From Afar

Post by Miroku » Sun May 26, 2019 9:03 pm

smcj wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 8:55 pm
Does anyone know if Kongtrul has a commentary on “Calling the Lama From Afar ” in his “Treasury of Knowledge”? I’d also be interested in any personal recommendations for other commentaries.

Thanks.
Garchen Rinpoche recently gave commentary on it. The video should be on youtube if I am correct.
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

smcj

Post by smcj » Mon May 27, 2019 12:42 am

:thumbsup:
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
2. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)

Aspiring.Monk

Post by Aspiring.Monk » Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:32 pm

Is there a place where one can purchase the Drikung version of Calling the Guru from Afar?

Thank you.

Miroku
Former staff member

Post by Miroku » Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:41 pm

Aspiring.Monk wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:32 pm
Is there a place where one can purchase the Drikung version of Calling the Guru from Afar?

Thank you.
In both places I have mentioned above. But it is the same prayer in all traditions as it is made by rime master.
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

heart

Post by heart » Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:04 pm

Miroku wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:41 pm
Aspiring.Monk wrote:

Thank you.
In both places I have mentioned above. But it is the same prayer in all traditions as it is made by rime master.
Not really, there are many prayers called "Calling the Guru from Afar".

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)

Miroku
Former staff member

Post by Miroku » Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:21 am

heart wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:04 pm
Miroku wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:41 pm
Aspiring.Monk wrote:

Thank you.
Not really, there are many prayers called "Calling the Guru from Afar".

/magnus
I see, well I thought they meant Jamgon Kongtrul's version. :D

catmoon
Former staff member

Post by catmoon » Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:26 am

I have this silly idea, but I'm not QUITE sure it's silly.

If you are serious about calling the guru from afar, wouldn't it be correct to start with directory assistance?
Sergeant Schultz knew everything there was to know.

pemachophel

Post by pemachophel » Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:49 pm

The Guru is directory assistance.
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ

smcj

Post by smcj » Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:11 pm

He is your SSP (Sambogakaya Service Provider).

Return to “Kagyu”