Refuge in the Sutras

Discuss and learn about the traditional Mahayana scriptures, without assuming that any one school ‘owns’ the only correct interpretation.
sangyey

Refuge in the Sutras

Post by sangyey »

Hello,

I was wondering and wanted to ask if Refuge is talked about in the Sutras or if it is something that was devised later?

Thank you.
Nicholas Weeks

Re: Refuge in the Sutras

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

sangyey wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:35 am Hello,

I was wondering and wanted to ask if Refuge is talked about in the Sutras or if it is something that was devised later?

Thank you.
Suttas & sutras are records of Buddha & his Disciples teachings, so naturally Refuge is mentioned a lot. Therefore Refuge came first.
May all seek, find & follow the Path of Buddhas.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

It's all over the place, but I found this:

https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .piya.html
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
Wayfarer
Former staff member

Post by Wayfarer »

Namo and refuge in the Three Jewels are the first things recited by Buddhists of nearly every sect in Buddhism at every service.
'Only practice with no gaining idea' ~ Suzuki Roshi
如傑優婆塞

Post by 如傑優婆塞 »

Some selections...
The earliest form of refuge.... the Twofold Refuge
And Tapussa and Bhallika, the merchants, when they saw that the Lord Buddha had cleansed his bowl and his hands, bowed down in reverence at the feet of the Lord Buddha and thus addressed the Lord Buddha: 'We take our refuge, Lord, in the Lord Buddha and in the Dhamma; may the Lord Buddha receive us as disciples who, from this day forth while our life lasts, have taken their refuge (in him).'

These were the first in the world to become lay-disciples (of the Buddha) by the formula which contained (only) the dyad.
Then Jivaka Komarabhacca went to the Blessed One and, on arrival, having bowed down, sat to one side.
As he was sitting there he said to the Blessed One: "Lord, to what extent is one a lay follower?"

"Jivaka, when one has gone to the Buddha for refuge, has gone to the Dhamma for refuge, and has gone to the Sangha for refuge, then to that extent is one a lay follower."
"There is the case where a disciple of the noble ones has gone to the Buddha for refuge. This is the first reward of merit, reward of skillfulness, nourishment of happiness, celestial, resulting in happiness, leading to heaven, leading to what is desirable, pleasurable, & appealing; to welfare & to happiness.

"Furthermore, the disciple of the noble ones has gone to the Dhamma for refuge. This is the second reward of merit...
"Furthermore, the disciple of the noble ones has gone to the Sangha for refuge. This is the third reward of merit...
Driven only by fear, do men go for refuge to many places — to hills, woods, groves, trees and shrines.
Such, indeed, is no safe refuge; such is not the refuge supreme. Not by resorting to such a refuge is one released from all suffering.
He who has gone for refuge to the Buddha, the Teaching and his Order, penetrates with transcendental wisdom the Four Noble Truths — suffering, the cause of suffering, the cessation of suffering, and the Noble Eightfold Path leading to the cessation of suffering.
This indeed is the safe refuge, this the refuge supreme. Having gone to such a refuge, one is released from all suffering.
In taking refuge with the Buddha,
I vow that sentient beings
Will perpetuate the Buddhas’ lineage,
And bring forth the unsurpassed resolve.

In taking refuge with the Dharma,
Will deeply enter the Sutra Treasury,
And have wisdom like the sea.

In taking refuge with the Sangha,
Will unite and lead the great assembly,
All without obstruction.
"Moreover, Manjushri, there may be good men and women of pure faith who, all their lives, do not worship other gods, but single-mindedly take refuge with the Buddha, the Dharma, and the Sangha. 5
“Then you should teach them, ‘Upāsaka (or Upāsikā) A, you now should single-mindedly count your breaths and think of the past seven Buddhas, present Buddhas, such as Śākyamuni Buddha, and future Buddhas, such as Maitreya Buddha.

As you think of them, you should ask, “Hear me, the past seven Buddhas and Their Saṅghas. Hear me, present Buddhas and Their Saṅghas, including Śākyamuni Buddha and His Saṅgha. Hear me, the holy monks—Srotāpannas, Sakṛdāgāmins, Anāgāmins, and Arhats. I, Disciple A, pure in body, voice, and mind, am capable of being a Dharma vessel. I now beseech to receive the heart precepts for the ten good karmas and receive the eight precepts.”’ They should voice this request three times.

“Then teach them to say three times, ‘I, Disciple A, take refuge in the Buddha, take refuge in the Dharma, take refuge in the Saṅgha.’ Also three times they should next say, ‘Completion of taking refuge in the Buddha, completion of taking refuge in the Dharma, completion of taking refuge in the Saṅgha.’
sangyey

Post by sangyey »

Thank you for the clarification and replies.

Return to “Sūtra Studies”