Looking for basic advice/resources/experiences on Lung Imbalances

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Looking for basic advice/resources/experiences on Lung Imbalances

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Re: Looking for basic advice/resources/experiences on Lung Imbalances

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

From what I have heard it is better to keep oneself away from cold wind and try to be in a relaxed manner. When it comes to meditation try not to over do it or not to force oneself too much. Concerning food and drink, abstaining from caffeine and eating heavier meals with some red meat is adviced and aslo black beer, old wine and whiskey are encouraged. Behaviour in general it is better a bit to abstain from too much sex (if one overdoes it, like frequent masturbation) and too much screen time and to enjoy oneself with dance, laughter, sex (if one does not have enough) and to walk on hills and watch the view that helps calm the mind. Those are advice I heard from friends.
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

For those who do virtuous actions,
goodness is what comes to pass.
For those who do non-virtuous actions,
that becomes suffering indeed.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Bump

Also wondering if anyone knows of specific Tibetan Medicine folks in the WA area.

-Khunu Lama
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

This article might help. In Ayurveda, lung is known as vata, or vata imbalance (sometimes spelled vatta).

http://www.ayurvedacollege.com/articles ... ata_Doshas

Here is a good article on all 3 doshas:

http://www.ayurvedacollege.com/articles ... e_Ayurveda

Good luck with your search.

Kevin
Konchog1

Post by Konchog1 »

Equanimity is the ground. Love is the moisture. Compassion is the seed. Bodhicitta is the result.

-Paraphrase of Khensur Rinpoche Lobsang Tsephel citing the Guhyasamaja Tantra

"All memories and thoughts are the union of emptiness and knowing, the Mind.
Without attachment, self-liberating, like a snake in a knot.
Through the qualities of meditating in that way,
Mental obscurations are purified and the dharmakaya is attained."

-Ra Lotsawa, All-pervading Melodious Drumbeats
amanitamusc

Post by amanitamusc »

Oud in general and Kyara in particular is good for lung disorder.Also real sandal oil or heated wood is good.In my experience.
https://www.ouddict.com/threads/black-k ... post-39896
Zahir said: ↑
Looks amazing
May I ask what makes kyara, kyara?
That is the million dollar question!

But I imagine you are referencing the scent and not the biology in that question. The biology is theororized but as of yet still a bit unknown. Some think it’s a specific type of tree - others from honey bee hives and intermingling contact with honey. I’m sure there are some other working theories.

As for the scent - there is a Bitterness and quite a distinctive scent about Kyara. Like Ambergris - once you know what it smells like it’s an unmistakable scent.

I have spoken about the 5 Flavors before (albeit It’s been quite some time) - and I think most non-Asians (particularly non-Japanese, Chinese, Taiwanese, and Koreans) don’t quite grasp what’s being referenced, because the 5 Flavors are not a direct reference to Taste - but rather Function.

Sweet is the easiest to pick out, because it DOES smell sweet. But the Sweet Taste is said to Generate Fluids. Eat something sweet and notice how moist your mouth becomes. Arabs know this well as eating Dates moistens the mouth and intestines in hot, dry heat, for example.

Spicy / Hot / Pungent, when overt, can also be picked out. But it’s not spicy like Cinnamon or Pepper - the Spicy Taste Moves Qi in an Upward and Outward Direction. Think what happens when you eat spicy or hot natured food - Fluids move up and out to the surface of the body (as in sweating). Pungent has a Dispersing Nature - just drop some soap into oily water and watch how the grease separates in an immediate outward manner.

Sour is often more apparent to Westerners in Oud oils from Cambodia and Thailand, smelling like plums and such which have a sourness to them - but the Sour Flavor has an Inward Moving Direction, in the same manner that sour foods like a lemon cause a puckering and Accumulation of Fluids. Sourness Draws Fluids Inward.

Salty is often completely missed. The Salty Flavor Breaks Up Accumulations. A good representation of Salty Agarwood is from Sumatra - and that Top Note that is oceanic / ethereal has a saltiness to it. That’s why many Indonesian Oud Oils are great to wear in Hot, Damp weather - they break up the thickness and oppressiveness of the air and Accumulation of Damp. That’s why they feel so light to wear.

And if Salty is often missed - Bitter is universally misunderstood. The Bitter Flavor Clears Heat Downward, particularly from the Heart, Small Intestine, Pericardium, and San Jiao (collectively being the Fire Element). It is for this reason it was regarded highest above all for meditation. Hit some Kyara and you will find that it Calms, Clears, and Cools the Mind and Spirit. The Heart, in most Asian cultures is the Emperor. No one is allowed access to the Emperor - so medicinals that have a direct action on the Emperor, especially those that keep the Emperor cool, calm, and collected - are always highly revered.

Folks look at the Flavors and, lacking the context of the culture - miss the Medical Language being used to describe the functionalities of the types of woods and oils. Not only that, but I often argue that Non-Asian noses do not smell things in the same manner as their Other human counterparts do. I see this first hand, all the time, both in my own household (as my better half is Japanese) as well as in Clinic where I treat a very diverse ethnic patient population.

We may all be human, but our bodies certainly have some variable biology depending on where our original roots are from.

Hope that helps to clarify what makes Kyara, Kyara. It’s not just about how it smells - but also about how it behaves in the body

@Nadeem - I think I just wrote that article I’ve been saying for ages I’d write

Last edited: Dec 19, 2018
jmlee369

Post by jmlee369 »

This article by Paula Chichester (formerly Ven. Nyingje) has a wealth of experiential knowledge from her many years spent in retreat. It is a more in-depth and extensive version of the Mandala article listed on the OP's linked website.
tobes

Post by tobes »

That's a good article by Paula + Miroku's post is also on the money.

The basic issue is trying too hard in Dharma practice; the basic antidote is relax/be patient/let go.

Obviously lung is very context specific, and as it takes different forms in different people/contexts, maybe it would help if you told us what kind of lung you are experiencing?
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

One take away from thinking about this is that I need to stop with spicy food all the time;)

Great resources and advice here, thanks all.
tobes wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:21 am

Obviously lung is very context specific, and as it takes different forms in different people/contexts, maybe it would help if you told us what kind of lung you are experiencing?

What I assume is pretty garden variety, anxiety/anger can manifest, begins as an upward flow and kind of resides in the heart, also around the throat is very constricted and sort of electric. I've never done a retreat of more than three days, so it's a daily life sort of thing, i practice formally about one hour a day currently. When it gets bad enough it turns into jumbled, out of control thought and makes practice impossible.

Some of this is my temperament and long standing mental health issues, so I had not really put much thought to the fact that my meditation (especially Sadhana practice seems to do it) was exacerbating it. Recently I've take on some body-based relaxation practices before I do Sadhana. It occurs to me now that it's a thing that's been a prominent problem for me for a while, and I should actually make some lifestyle changes around it.

-Khunu Lama
bhava

Post by bhava »

Hello, thanks for bringing up this topic. I have heard from tibetan doctors, that in general massage helps a lot and especially full body massage with oils helps to reduce the lung imbalances. Also to massage the heart chakra area (middle of the chest) with oil, as well as puting some oil on top of the head (crown chakra) helps. Its a kind of habit of indian women to put some oil on head after washing their hair (i have heard). Also some moxabustion of these areas can help.
In my experience, it is always some kind of challenge to keep mind and lung balanced between diligent effort and relaxation. Imbalanced can occur also due to provocations (don). Also excess of mantra recitation, distracted way of practicing, overdoing can worsen the situation. I found doing breathing exercises, short walks, mindfulness of body practices (body scan), watching a movie, talking to a good friend, having a good time helpful..
Matt J

Post by Matt J »

I think Tsoknyi would prescribe his style of Dzogchen practices as well as some gentle vase breathing. He does have a program called "Fully Being" that may deal with this--- I have not tried it out. I've posted some links below.

For me, the most valuable things I have done are meditation and old fashioned Western exercise. I've tried tai chi, qigong, yoga, and many other things but none of them have had the ongoing physical and mental health benefits of regular cardio, weights, and stretching 3-5 times a week (also a good diet assists). This is also true for many other people I know--- some of whom have mental health issues. I think of exercise like exorcism--- when speedy lung arises, it gets burned off at the gym. Personally, I have also over the years given up nicotine, caffeine, stressful jobs, and living outside my means.

In addition, I think the meditation method needs to work for you. For me, I have often found more value in gradual paths rather than sudden paths. Some people are the opposite.

https://tsoknyirinpoche.org/8877/tsokny ... view-lung/

https://tsoknyirinpoche.org/teachings/h ... e-session/

https://tsoknyirinpoche.org/fully-being/
"The world is made of stories, not atoms."
--- Muriel Rukeyser
DewachenVagabond

Post by DewachenVagabond »

Matt J wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:56 pm I think Tsoknyi would prescribe his style of Dzogchen practices as well as some gentle vase breathing. He does have a program called "Fully Being" that may deal with this--- I have not tried it out. I've posted some links below.

For me, the most valuable things I have done are meditation and old fashioned Western exercise. I've tried tai chi, qigong, yoga, and many other things but none of them have had the ongoing physical and mental health benefits of regular cardio, weights, and stretching 3-5 times a week (also a good diet assists). This is also true for many other people I know--- some of whom have mental health issues. I think of exercise like exorcism--- when speedy lung arises, it gets burned off at the gym. Personally, I have also over the years given up nicotine, caffeine, stressful jobs, and living outside my means.

In addition, I think the meditation method needs to work for you. For me, I have often found more value in gradual paths rather than sudden paths. Some people are the opposite.

https://tsoknyirinpoche.org/8877/tsokny ... view-lung/

https://tsoknyirinpoche.org/teachings/h ... e-session/

https://tsoknyirinpoche.org/fully-being/
Thank you for posting this. I didn't start this thread, but from reading what others have posted it seems like I have a slight lung imbalance and I think this will be really helpful.

In addition, I've been wanting to get back into Tai Chi/Qigong or Yoga for a while but have been unable to find good resources for it near me. I took a Tai Chi class at the university in my town but I've forgotten most of it.
:bow: :buddha1: :bow: :anjali: :meditate:
tobes

Post by tobes »

Johnny Dangerous wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:55 am One take away from thinking about this is that I need to stop with spicy food all the time;)

Great resources and advice here, thanks all.

What I assume is pretty garden variety, anxiety/anger can manifest, begins as an upward flow and kind of resides in the heart, also around the throat is very constricted and sort of electric. I've never done a retreat of more than three days, so it's a daily life sort of thing, i practice formally about one hour a day currently. When it gets bad enough it turns into jumbled, out of control thought and makes practice impossible.

Some of this is my temperament and long standing mental health issues, so I had not really put much thought to the fact that my meditation (especially Sadhana practice seems to do it) was exacerbating it. Recently I've take on some body-based relaxation practices before I do Sadhana. It occurs to me now that it's a thing that's been a prominent problem for me for a while, and I should actually make some lifestyle changes around it.
I don't feel qualified to offer advice here, but with a grain of salt:

Take much more time with the refuge and bodhicitta parts of the sadhana. Take refuge many times until you genuinely feel the peacefulness inherent in the act and your heart is genuinely open to the blessings of the guru, lineage, yidam etc. And when moving to bodhicitta, practice tonglen for a good while to ensure that your motivation for engaging in the practice is thoroughly infused with and grounded in bodhicitta; bring as many beings as you can with you onto the cushion.

If those two things are accomplished well, then the rest of the sadhana is almost superfluous - just something for the mind to do whilst deepening those two central pillars.

:anjali:
SilenceMonkey

Post by SilenceMonkey »

I’ve had some real bad rlung issues for years... so maybe some of my research could be of use.

Someone mentioned rlung is the equivalent of vata (wind) in Ayurveda... Which is mostly true. But it is also the word for prana or qi in chinese. My own rlung issues are related with my constitution of vata-pitta (airy and firy). Airiness is related with thoughts and consciousness, easily influenced and blown around for lack of grounding (earth element). Fire is hot, related with emotions. It rises up towards the head and when out of balance (too much heat) it will stay there, can’t come down. Fire and air is a deadly combination for me because (according to Ayurveda) air fuels the fire. So all this intellectual stimulation increases my emotions (excitement) which in turn will turn up the volume for heady expression. It’s actually a common problem for westerners, too much work without balance of rest and relaxation. (We often push ourselves and don’t take breaks). And all the visual stimulation of reading, especially excessive light from electronic screens... this messes with the wind.

A kungfu teacher once told me that some people have a beer to relax in the evening, which really does work. Except they wake up groggy in the morning and have to have a coffee to wake up the nervous system. And if you’re the kind of person who gets rlung problems, coffee will mess you up. Better stay away from that stuff. That also goes for spicy foods... too much heat.

Being in nature helps. Sometimes it’s nice to get fresh air for a few mins after you wake up in the morning. Generally, going for walks to cool down. Not think too much.

In Ayurveda and Chinese medicine, people bring the heat down at night by soaking their feet in hot water for 15-30 mins before bed.

An evening ritual can help calm before sleep. Best not to stimulate the mind with computers or cell phones during the hour before bed. This is winding down time.

Take a shower or hot bath. You want to relax the mind (not shock the nervous system).

Massaging the feet and lower legs to help relax the mind. Gentle body massage is good in general for relaxing. Drink more water...

Sometimes I visualize the foot chakra (yongquan in chinese medicine) and imagine the energies flowing down and out of this area on the feet.

Another visualization for sleep is peacefully floating down a river... or floating on a vast ocean, no waves... no cloud in the sky.

Zen practice also helps me. All of zen is designed to bring the mind (and energies) to equanimity. Any zen principle such as one thing at a time, moment by moment, ordinary mind, don’t think so much... relaxed body is relaxed mind.

Mingyur rinpoche’s practices also help a lot. And actually, shamatha. Shamatha helps with everything. Calming the mind calms the energies and emotions.

Breathing practice at the nose brings clarity, observing the rise and fall of the abdomen brings relaxation. The latter is called the Burmese technique.

rlung tea is pure gold. It’s made by Mentseekhang... I live in dharamsala and it’s easy to get here, but maybe they ship internationally. This stuff really works. It balances the emotions, energies, mind... makes you calm.

A regular schedule helps stabilize the mind and energies into normal. Regular sleep schedule is important. Regular exercise, even if just 10-15 mins a day. Don’t exercise after dark. When sun goes down, it’s time for winding down.

Once a friend gave me some of the best advice of my life... like many Americans my mind is constantly seeking to do more, an addiction to work and productivity... He said he likes to take one hour per week and dedicate it to just doing nothing. No cellphones or computers, not reading, not working on anything... no meditation practice... maybe just sitting on the couch. Have some tea... maybe light conversation with a friend. Or go for a walk.

A simple lifestyle in general. Don’t overbook yourself. Not too many projects. Finish one thing before you start the next. Try not to read multiple books at once. Don’t have some many tabs open on your computer. Clean up your desktop. Keep your home neat and clean. (It’s worth a little extra effort!)

Let go of your worries. maybe read some Thich Nhat Hanh.
Last edited by SilenceMonkey on Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SilenceMonkey

Post by SilenceMonkey »

I forgot to mention cooling foods are a general antidote for too much heat. I used to drink coconut water from 7/11 in Taiwan, it worked wonders.

Another practice that helped me was identifying and being mindful of my neurotic habits. The truth of suffering and it’s causes...
SilenceMonkey

Post by SilenceMonkey »

The basic issue is trying too hard in Dharma practice; the basic antidote is relax/be patient/let go.
This one is right on the money. That’s the principle... how fire is stirred by the mind. A wuwei approach is helpful. Naturalness or nondoing... but really just doing less. Less forcing and pushing through, less trying to control outcomes, less form, less things... less is more. More empty space in the painting of our lives... more silence within the music. More space... and spaciousness.
tobes

Post by tobes »

Thich Naht Hahn: "Do it twice as slow as you normally do."

I think he was referring to cleaning, but it applies to any activity. Very sound advice, very apt for addressing lung, very apt for vajrayana practitioners.

One mantra recitation done with proper mindfulness, emphasizing quality, is worth 100 done in haste and without care.

Just slow down!

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”