Drikung/Longchen Nyingtik connection?

KonchogUrgyenNyima

Drikung/Longchen Nyingtik connection?

Post by KonchogUrgyenNyima » Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:20 pm

Hello all,

I am one of H.E. Garchen Rinpoche's many many loving devoted disciples and have mostly spent time in the Drikung tradition. However, I've just been assigned the Longchen Nyingtik Ngondro and after much research, am noticing a certain palpable connection between the traditions. I've even been told by other disciples that Rinpoche himself has said that the Longchen Nyingtik carries the blessings of our lineage.

I'm wondering if there are any Drikungers out there who have heard lamas talk on this point? Or if there are any literary resources where I can find more info on this beautiful relationship between traditions?

Thank you all for being here,
May all beings benefit greatly.

Miroku
Former staff member

Re: Drikung/Longchen Nyingtik connection?

Post by Miroku » Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:26 pm

I have never really heard about this tbh. I did hear about a connection between the Yangzab Terma and Khandro Nyingthik. But would be interested to hear more about this.
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

Miroku
Former staff member

Post by Miroku » Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:43 pm

Although there might be the connection, since Drikung is quite well known for its phowa tradition and it seems that many Drikung masters also give LN phowa transmissions, like Ayang Rinpoche.

Also in this bio of Lama Tsering it says he got LN transmission https://ratnashri.org.ua/en/news/manjus ... a-tsering/. Quite interesting.
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

javier.espinoza.t

Post by javier.espinoza.t » Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:24 pm

KonchogUrgyenNyima wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:20 pm
Hello all,

I am one of H.E. Garchen Rinpoche's many many loving devoted disciples and have mostly spent time in the Drikung tradition. However, I've just been assigned the Longchen Nyingtik Ngondro and after much research, am noticing a certain palpable connection between the traditions. I've even been told by other disciples that Rinpoche himself has said that the Longchen Nyingtik carries the blessings of our lineage.

I'm wondering if there are any Drikungers out there who have heard lamas talk on this point? Or if there are any literary resources where I can find more info on this beautiful relationship between traditions?

DkK Khenpo here in my country have complete transmission of LN, i asked him about it.

heart

Post by heart » Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:37 pm

Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:20 pm
Hello all,

I heard that Garchen Rinpoche received the Longchen Nyingtik from Khenpo Munsel while they where in jail together in Tibet.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)

Sonam Wangchug

Post by Sonam Wangchug » Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:21 pm

There are a few off the top of my head. Some are more direct, and some a bit less.

As Magnus mentioned above Garchen Rinpoche has received the LN from Khenpo Munsel Rinpoche.

HH The Drikung Chetsang Rinpoche counts HH Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche as one of his Important Guru's, who was an accomplished master of the Longchen Nyingthig. Not sure if he has received LN specifically from Rinpoche, though I wouldn't doubt it.

Lho Ontrul Rinpoche has received and practiced the LN tradition.

Jamyang Khyentse Wangpo who was the rebirth of Jigme lingpa was also Jigten Sumgon in a former life.

However, the most striking example that I can think of is that Jigme Lingpa's own son was a Drikung Chetsang! He traveled to the seat of Drikung when his son was enthroned and also gave teachings there. However, I can't recall which book details this.
"To have confidence in the teacher is the ultimate refuge." -Rigzin Jigme Lingpa

KonchogUrgyenNyima

Post by KonchogUrgyenNyima » Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:33 pm

wow thank you all so much for your replies.

Sonam, that's incredible. I had no idea that Jikme Lingpa was even contemporary with the Drikung lineage! looks like I need to brush up on my history. :alien:

does anyone know the names of contemporary Drikung lamas who hold the Longchen Nyingtik? Besides Garchen Rinpoche who I don't get much face to face time with, believe it or not. Preferably lamas who hang in the United States sometimes.

NOT asking for a friend, I want to seek them out lol.

PeterC

Post by PeterC » Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:20 am

heart wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:37 pm

I heard that Garchen Rinpoche received the Longchen Nyingtik from Khenpo Munsel while they where in jail together in Tibet.

/magnus
I don't know if he received the full LN cycle from Khenpo Munsel, though he certainly received a lot of it. He has been giving empowerments and instructions from the LN quite frequently in the past few years, and he's talked about the circumstances of receiving them from KhM.

Generally speaking if a senior Drikung lama practices Dzogchen it's a fair bet that they've received teachings from the LN, since it's so widely studied

Sonam Wangchug

Post by Sonam Wangchug » Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:52 am

Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:33 pm
wow thank you all so much for your replies.

Sonam, that's incredible. I had no idea that Jikme Lingpa was even contemporary with the Drikung lineage! looks like I need to brush up on my history. :alien:

does anyone know the names of contemporary Drikung lamas who hold the Longchen Nyingtik? Besides Garchen Rinpoche who I don't get much face to face time with, believe it or not. Preferably lamas who hang in the United States sometimes.

NOT asking for a friend, I want to seek them out lol.
Just curious, why are you only looking for "Drikung lama's who hold the longchen nyingthik" The Longchen nyingthik is the Longchen nyingthik and there are also wonderful Nyingma teachers who hold it as well. It just seems to be somewhat of a limited approach to take if you are interested in studying the Nyingthik. After all, the Two lineages are not contradictory, so I don't see why you can only receive this stream via Kagyu lamas.

Garchen Rinpoche's own Root Guru was a Nyingmapa.

When you say you were assigned the Longchen Nyingthik Ngondro, was that not by a Lama who holds the LN?
"To have confidence in the teacher is the ultimate refuge." -Rigzin Jigme Lingpa

KonchogUrgyenNyima

Post by KonchogUrgyenNyima » Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:43 am

oh yes that's a good question.
the fact of the matter is that i am indeed looking for nyingma teachers. Very diligently. Where I live there is a dearth.

Yes, I received the LNN from Lama Wangdu Rinpoche and am working my hardest to try and make a stronger connection with him.

My reason for asking the question is not so I can ONLY receive LN teachings from kagyupa, but so that I can understand the pre-existing connection between the tradition I'm already involved with and the one which i'm becoming involved with.

That being said, if you know any good Nyingtik holders in the Puget Sound area, definitely let me know.

Jangchup Donden

Post by Jangchup Donden » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:15 pm

Part of me thinks that many (if not most) of our beloved Kagyu gurus are secretly (or not so secretly) Nyingma... :P

Return to “Kagyu”