Mantra siddhi

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Kris

Mantra siddhi

Post by Kris »

What mantras are considered to grant accomplishment even outside of sadhana, I know Guru Rinpoches and Vajrayogini does, any others?
The profound path of the master.
-- Virūpa, Vajra Lines
Jangchup Donden

Re: Mantra siddhi

Post by Jangchup Donden »

I think Vajrakumara/Vajrakilaya might as well.
Rinchen Dorje

Post by Rinchen Dorje »

Dorje Kotrab/Vajra Armor
"But if you know how to observe yourself, you will discover your real nature, the primordial state, the state of Guruyoga, and then all will become clear because you will have discovered everything"-Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche
Kris

Post by Kris »

Jangchup Donden wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:34 pm I think Vajrakumara/Vajrakilaya might as well.
Ah, I remember I've heard this before.
-- Virūpa, Vajra Lines
Kris

Post by Kris »

Fa Dao wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:44 pm Dorje Kotrab/Vajra Armor
Thanks.
-- Virūpa, Vajra Lines
lelopa

Post by lelopa »

the diamondway teacher O.Nydahl mentioned the short Kalacakramantra:
Om ...... SvaHa
Lost In Transmission
Pero

Post by Pero »

Sennin wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:24 pm What mantras are considered to grant accomplishment even outside of sadhana, I know Guru Rinpoches and Vajrayogini does, any others?
What does "accomplishment even outside of sadhana" mean?
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar
heart

Post by heart »

Pero wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:21 pm
Sennin wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:24 pm What mantras are considered to grant accomplishment even outside of sadhana, I know Guru Rinpoches and Vajrayogini does, any others?
+1
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
Kris

Post by Kris »

I should have explained in more detail, but I meant just relying on the mantra without doing elaborate yogas of the two stages. By accomplishment I mean siddhi, for example one could rely on Guru Rinpoches mantra to gain all siddhi, do all activities, accomplish all rituals, master nadis, pranas etc.
Last edited by Kris on Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-- Virūpa, Vajra Lines
heart

Post by heart »

Sennin wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:02 pm
I should have explained in more detail, but I meant just relying on the mantra without doing elaborate yogas of the two stages.
Many years ago I was present when someone suggested this to Thrangu Rinpoche and he answered; "without the visualisation there will be no siddhi".

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
Kris

Post by Kris »

heart wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:08 pm

I should have explained in more detail, but I meant just relying on the mantra without doing elaborate yogas of the two stages.
Many years ago I was present when someone suggested this to Thrangu Rinpoche and he answered; "without the visualisation there will be no siddhi".

/magnus
One just needs to recite Vajrayogini mantra to gain all siddhi, this is in the Chakrasamvara root tantra.
-- Virūpa, Vajra Lines
Rinchen Samphel

Post by Rinchen Samphel »

Sennin wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:15 pm One just needs to recite Vajrayogini mantra to gain all siddhi, this is in the Chakrasamvara root tantra.
This seems like a misrepresentation of Vajrayoginis mantra in relation to siddhis. To recite the mantra, you need empowerment (which can be a lot of detail, in and of itself), you need lung, and etc. etc. So its a lot more than "to just recite". Something tells me there is a lot more detail there than meets the eye. Thats like Tilopas last of his six words of advice -- "rest". Taken at face value, anyone should be awakened at this point. However, we know its much more than that. I know you know all of this :smile:

I think what really matters is your intent and why you would want to approach a mantra in this manner. Rhetorical question.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

I guess we'll have to get a newbie to do a million recitations and find out.

I'm curious about the meat mantra. Aum Abhira,...
That one must have siddhi attached to it without a visualization.
Kris

Post by Kris »

Rinchen Samphel wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:00 am
Sennin wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:15 pm One just needs to recite Vajrayogini mantra to gain all siddhi, this is in the Chakrasamvara root tantra.
This seems like a misrepresentation of Vajrayoginis mantra in relation to siddhis.
See chapter 48 of the root tantra.

To recite the mantra, you need empowerment (which can be a lot of detail, in and of itself), you need lung, and etc. etc. So its a lot more than "to just recite". Something tells me there is a lot more detail there than meets the eye. Thats like Tilopas last of his six words of advice -- "rest". Taken at face value, anyone should be awakened at this point. However, we know its much more than that. I know you know all of this :smile:
Right, one would need the transmission to chant a mantra.
-- Virūpa, Vajra Lines
climb-up

Post by climb-up »

Om Ah Hung
...should accomplish everything ...so I hear ;)
"Death's second name is 'omnipresent.' On the relative truth it seems we become separate. But on the absolute there is no separation." Lama Dawa
Rinchen Samphel

Post by Rinchen Samphel »

Sennin wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:02 am
This seems like a misrepresentation of Vajrayoginis mantra in relation to siddhis.
See chapter 48 of the root tantra.

To recite the mantra, you need empowerment (which can be a lot of detail, in and of itself), you need lung, and etc. etc. So its a lot more than "to just recite". Something tells me there is a lot more detail there than meets the eye. Thats like Tilopas last of his six words of advice -- "rest". Taken at face value, anyone should be awakened at this point. However, we know its much more than that. I know you know all of this :smile:
Right, one would need the transmission to chant a mantra.
According to the translation of the Root Tantra that is used by Tibet House (Thurman), it has a footnote on that specific line that says "Viravajra provides ritual instructions for the achievement of
all powers", then goes into minor detail about setting up a mandala and then reciting the mantra that gives acheivement of all powers (Vajrayogini's, of course). It also says that such a statement is merely used to describe the greatness of the mantra and the text.

Just sayin'. Again, not sure of your intent for just saying mantras outside of a Sadhanas context for the attainment of mantra siddhi (like if its for reasons of time, circumstances, curiosity, etc). Mantras, after receiving empowerment and lung, definitly are useful, but, again, i think there is more in terms of causes and conditions to give rise to mantra siddhi. However, i am not the most (obviously) learned on this subject.
Kris

Post by Kris »

climb-up wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:15 am Om Ah Hung
...should accomplish everything ...so I hear ;)
:twothumbsup:
-- Virūpa, Vajra Lines
Kris

Post by Kris »

It also says that such a statement is merely used to describe the greatness of the mantra and the text.

This is sort of the crux of my question. Some statements glorify certain mantras to grant attainment by relying on the mantra. I am merely trying to discover which mantras are glorified in this way. It's common knowledge that GR and VY do, but my curiosity is what other mantras have this glorification. There have been several replies already that have answered my initial op.
-- Virūpa, Vajra Lines
dzoki

Post by dzoki »

Sennin wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:15 pm
heart wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:08 pm

/magnus
One just needs to recite Vajrayogini mantra to gain all siddhi, this is in the Chakrasamvara root tantra.
Can you provide a quote regarding this? As far sa I know some tantras say the following (according to JIgme Lingpa): "A mere recitaion of mantra turning in the heart of the deity is sufficient to gain all the siddhis." Which means that you have to visualise yourself as a deity and visualise a mantra garland in you heart turning. So that is completely different from mere recitation.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Sennin wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:15 pmOne just needs to recite Vajrayogini mantra to gain all siddhi, this is in the Chakrasamvara root tantra.
I imagine that statements like this fall into the same category as statements like: If you can do one single Vajrasattva mantra with complete heartfelt devotion...

Generally speaking they are for high caliber practitioners with supreme abilities. For the rest of us schmucks...
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”