World peace

Discuss the application of the Dharma to situations of social, political, environmental and economic suffering and injustice.
dolphin_color

World peace

Post by dolphin_color » Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:38 am

...or even community peace... something we should think about or no? Even possible without universal enlightenment?

shaunc

Re: World peace

Post by shaunc » Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:57 am

I think everyone looks at this problem from the wrong end, always wondering what the government or governments are going to do about it
I feel that the problem is better tackled from the other end.
Start with a peaceful person, then a family, then a neighborhood, then a city/province and finally a country.
The beauty of attacking the problem this way is that by the time you get to the national level there'll be no need to involve governments or advisers or academics.

pemachophel

Post by pemachophel » Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:01 pm

As Bodhisatvas, we are always working for universal peace and happiness. For me, "world happiness" is just another way of saying, "May all sentient beings have happiness and the causes of happiness." There are two parts of this: mon-pa/aspiration, the wish for universal happiness, and jug-pa/engaging in action to make that so. Whether universal happiness is possible or not is not the Bodhisatva's concern. The Bodhisatva works for the sake of the world (i.e., conditioned existence) without attachment to outcome.
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ

dolphin_color

Post by dolphin_color » Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:26 am

OK, without attachment to outcome. Interesting. What kind of jug-pa is best? If the jug-pa just isn't working after so long... isn't that an ineffective jug-pa? (Speaking from personal struggles)

ford_truckin

Post by ford_truckin » Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:04 am

If you look at it from a more realistic perspective there will never be world peace because the majority of beings will always be afflicted with the three poisons

PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba » Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:11 pm

World peace only takes one second to happen.
If everybody stopped killing for one second, then one minute, then one day, then one year,
I think it would catch on very quickly.

I have always thought an international peace minute would be a good thing to promote.
just for one minute, just for the kids or whatever, everyone agrees to stop shooting.
Maybe people would hesitate to be the first ones to break the peace.

Crazier shit has happened.
Profile Picture: "The Fo Ming (Buddha Bright) Monk"
People on web forums sometime seem to be foaming at the mouth.

Queequeg
Global Moderator

Post by Queequeg » Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:13 pm

In Soka Gakkai, they often talked about World Peace. The way it was framed was that World Peace starts with each person undergoing a transformation that they called Human Revolution. Peace, as Shaun put it, has to come from each person. The only real world peace will unfold the way Shaun describes. That also makes it an accessible goal, I think, something that each and every person can contribute to, immediately. Of course, the process of individual transformation is no easy task, but its manageable, particularly if you have a method for that transformation, which Buddhism, for instance, clearly maps out.
Those who, even with distracted minds,
Entered a stupa compound
And chanted but once, “Namo Buddhaya!”
Have certainly attained the path of the buddhas.

-Lotus Sutra, Expedient Means Chapter

There are beings with little dust in their eyes who are falling away because they do not hear the Dhamma. There will be those who will understand the Dhamma.
-Ayacana Sutta

pemachophel

Post by pemachophel » Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:09 pm

Dolphin,

In Mahayana, practically speaking, jug-pa consists of the six or 10 paramitas. In Vajrayana, we then use special, hugely powerful skillful means to put these paramitas into practice.

Also, in Vajrayana, after receiving, wang, lung, and khrid/ti, we then do the approach to the Deity we are practicing. This is like making a new friend's acquaintance and developing mutual trust. This approach phase (nyen-pa) can sometimes also be subdivided into approach and close approach. When we have finished the approach, and, with our Teacher's go-ahead, we then do the accomplishment (drub-pa). When we have done the accomplishment as confirmed by number, time, and/or signs, then, again with our Teacher's go-ahead, we proceed to the lay-jor or the actual putting the practice into action in the world. The approach and accomplishment endow us with real power, extraordinary power. Then we use that power to effect in the lay-jor. If one has accomplished these three steps or stages properly, then you should see results. However, if one does not, then one goes back to their Teacher so He or She can problem-solve why the practice did not have its intended results. Then the Teacher tells you the remedy and you try again.

In any case, one of the reasons one might not be seeing results from the application of the paramitas in their life is that they haven't yet accumulated sufficient power to make those results come about. It's also possible that one is not yet perceptive enough to see the results of their practice. Lastly, in Buddhism we have a very, very, very long gaze. So sometimes the results we are hoping for are just not realistic in the short time-frame we are looking at.

Just some thoughts.
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ

dolphin_color

Post by dolphin_color » Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:44 am

Thanks, Lama Chophel. Interesting to read what you have to say about the Vajrayana "supercharging" of the paramitas. Will have to investigate that! My intention has always been to make the world a bit better. Sometimes my vision was really big; now it's about as small as a garden. Basically, I've found that carrots and potatoes and basil don't fight me when I'm trying to help them live. I can't say the same thing about all humans, but people have their reasons for not letting me help, and I can respect that. So I try to help using the skills I have, but sometimes even that is hard. There are so many obstacles, and yes, one is my ego. But I feel like totally not being attached to outcomes could lead to waste. I've made food for people sometimes, and often I've found people just won't eat it, and sometimes they'll even totally stop interacting with me at all because I offered something. I've even been mistreated because I was being generous to them. Yes, there's an ego thing going on, but I feel like it's wasted effort/time/resources if it's not at least eaten. That's what I mean about effects. I must not be skillful enough to bring about the benefit I want to.

Return to “Engaged Buddhism”