How do you know when a friendship is over?

bcol01

How do you know when a friendship is over?

Post by bcol01 »

?
In his writing, Hokkemongu (Words and Phrases of the Lotus Sutra), The Great Master Nichiren said, “If the practitioners of the Lotus Sutra wholeheartedly devote their life to the Lotus Sutra and practice according to its golden words, it is certainly needless to say that not only in the next life, but also in this lifetime they will overcome severe difficulty, prolong their life, receive the great, good fortune of unsurpassed enlightenment, and accomplish the great vow of the widespread, propagation of True Buddhism.”
tkp67

Re: How do you know when a friendship is over?

Post by tkp67 »

what is the basis of the friendship in question?
john perry

Post by john perry »

When things like interest, desire, and seeking are empty.
LastLegend

Post by LastLegend »

Don’t have any lol
It’s eye blinking.
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

There is no general rule for personal relationships. Everything depends and one has to ponder about it newly every time again.

But for figuring out 'what is right or wrong?' and also 'what is my part in this relationship?' I find the 4th and 5th paragraph of the '37 practices of a bodhisattva' very helpful.

http://www.viewonbuddhism.org/resources ... attva.html
4)
Regardless of how long spent living together, good friends and relations must some day depart.
Our wealth and possessions collected with effort are left fare behind at the end of our life.
Our mind, but a guest in our body`s great guest house, must vacate one day and travel beyond.
Cast away thoughts that concern but this lifetime - the Sons of the Buddhas all practise this way.

(5)
From staying together with friends who misguide us, our hatred, desires and ignorance grow.
With little time left to continue our studies, we don`t think of Dharma; we meditate less.
Our love and compassion for all sentient beings are lost and forgotten while under their sway.
Sever such ties with misleading companions - the Sons of the Buddhas all practise this way.
(BTW the translation 'Sons of the Buddhas' is misleading. Bodhisattva is neither male nor female. It is just a human being, no he or she.)

:oops: And sorry, I overlooked that this is Nichirien and I do not know anything about that lineage. :namaste:
emaho

Post by emaho »

When a friend keeps overstepping your boundaries even though you ask him/her not to, and it's really painful to you, it's time to distance yourself. Doesn't necessarily mean you have to completely break up with that person, but if you've met with that friend once a week, maybe turn it down to once in two months. And look at your feelings after you met that "friend" - do you feel better than before or worse? When you have an appointment and something comes up that forces you to postpone - are you sad or relieved? Compassion doesn't mean that you have to let people step all over you :shrug:
"I struggled with some demons, They were middle class and tame..." L. Cohen
Caoimhghín

Post by Caoimhghín »

Ayu wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:26 am (BTW the translation 'Sons of the Buddhas' is misleading. Bodhisattva is neither male nor female. It is just a human being, no he or she.)
I think "sons of Buddha" is supposed to translate "buddhaputra." This term will often appear in the vocative plural while the Buddha addresses his audience in Mahāyāna sūtras.

I'm not sure of the gender of the term tbh. It means son. In Chinese, the term is 佛子, "Buddha's child(ren)" and, I think, gender-neutral.
Then, the monks uttered this gāthā:

These bodies are like foam.
Them being frail, who can rejoice in them?
The Buddha attained the vajra-body.
Still, it becomes inconstant and ruined.
The many Buddhas are vajra-entities.
All are also subject to inconstancy.
Quickly ended, like melting snow --
how could things be different?

The Buddha passed into parinirvāṇa afterward.
(T1.27b10 Mahāparinirvāṇasūtra DĀ 2)
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

Caoimhghín wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:31 am
Ayu wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:26 am (BTW the translation 'Sons of the Buddhas' is misleading. Bodhisattva is neither male nor female. It is just a human being, no he or she.)
I think "sons of Buddha" is supposed to translate "buddhaputra." This term will often appear in the vocative plural while the Buddha addresses his audience in Mahāyāna sūtras.

I'm not sure of the gender of the term tbh. It means son. In Chinese, the term is 佛子, "Buddha's child(ren)" and, I think, gender-neutral.
I was told so by a translator (Tibetan - German). And I referred to the word Bodhisattva. In the German translation (which I know) the last sentence of every verse is "This is the practice of the Bodhisattvas.”
lelopa

Post by lelopa »

bodhisattva is male too.....
females would be bodhisattvis
Lost In Transmission
Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows »

Caoimhghín wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:31 am I think "sons of Buddha" is supposed to translate "buddhaputra." This term will often appear in the vocative plural while the Buddha addresses his audience in Mahāyāna sūtras.

This is all correct. Which is why one can specify- 男孩子, etc.

If you look at some old fpmt transtaions, they actually say "sons and daughters"
明安 Myoan
Former staff member

Post by 明安 Myoan »

When one or both of you stop bringing out each other's good qualities.

Return to “Nichiren”