Favorite Book

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Terma

Favorite Book

Post by Terma »

I am looking for a few ideas from you guys. I normally buy kindle books to read on mobile when I am on the go, but I recently recieved a gift card for my birthday so this time I will be purchasing a physical book through a large book retailer.

What are a few of your favorite books. Must have's, or the kind of book that you would take on retreat with you, perhaps? It is nice to have the physical copy sometimes and in this instance it is a gift, so even nicer!

I have a few in mind, but I am interested in some of your choices as well.
明安 Myoan
Former staff member

Re: Favorite Book

Post by 明安 Myoan »

If you have an interest in Chenrezig, Bokar Rinpoche's Lord of Love remains helpful to me to this day for working on bodhicitta.
The visualizations, which anyone can do, are simple and effective.
And his explanations of bodhicitta, compassion, Chenrezig, the mind, afflictions, and so on are pithy, and memorable. I hear this book can be hard to come by these days.

B. Alan Wallace's translation of Guide to the Bodhisattva Way of Life. The footnotes show where the Tibetan/Sanskrit differ, very useful. There is a legal online copy here for free, but a paper copy is invaluable.

To Dispel the Misery of the World: Whispered Teachings of the Bodhisattvas, by Ga Rabjampa. I think this should be essential reading for any Mahayana or Vajrayana Buddhist. The Lojong slogans are woven with teachings that elicit uncontrived compassion. The descriptions of the hell realms alone helped remove my fear of spirits and angry people. Credit to Johnny Dangerous for suggesting this book to me. It's an intense read.

Unfortunately, I'm not terribly wide read in Vajrayana literature. But somehow I found these three precious books, and recommend them :smile:

I also suggest the books below for understanding other Buddhist schools and practices. They're written in open, easy-to-understand language:

Soto Zen - Opening the Hand of Thought, by Kosho Uchiyama
Soto Zen - How to Cook Your Life: From the Zen Kitchen to Enlightenment, Kosho Uchiyama's translation of Dogen's Instructions to the Cook
Pure Land - Pure-land Zen, Zen Pure-land - Letters From Patriarch Yin Kuang
Pure Land - Going Home to the Pure Land, by Shi Wuling
Vipassana meditation - PRACTICAL INSIGHT MEDITATIONS Basic and Progressive Stages, by Mahasi Sayadaw
Theravada - Being Nobody, Going Nowhere: Meditations on the Buddhist Path, Ayya Khema

Enjoy! And consider donating old books you won't read again to your library, provided the teachings are open to all :thumbsup:
Namu Amida Butsu
jet.urgyen

Post by jet.urgyen »

Terma wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:09 pm I am looking for a few ideas from you guys. I normally buy kindle books to read on mobile when I am on the go, but I recently recieved a gift card for my birthday so this time I will be purchasing a physical book through a large book retailer.

What are a few of your favorite books. Must have's, or the kind of book that you would take on retreat with you, perhaps? It is nice to have the physical copy sometimes and in this instance it is a gift, so even nicer!

i would recomend The Encyclopedia of Tibetan Symbols and Motifs of R. Beer,

https://www.bookdepository.com/Encyclop ... 1570624162

symbols are very very interesting!

and the translation of The Treasury Of Knowledge Books, of Jamgong Kongtrul.

https://www.shambhala.com/treasuryofknowledge.html

well, this are books for making consultations mainly, and are full, i mean FULL, of knowledge that eventualy one needs to consume.
true dharma is inexpressible.

The bodhisattva nourishes from bodhicitta, through whatever method the Buddha has given him. Oh joy.
Aspiring.Monk

Post by Aspiring.Monk »

Without knowing which school you follow, I will recommend the following:

Essence of the Mahayana Teachings https://gardrolma.org/product/essence-o ... -rim-text/

Words of my Perfect Teacher https://www.amazon.com/dp/0300165323

I hope this helps
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

Terma wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:09 pm I am looking for a few ideas from you guys. I normally buy kindle books to read on mobile when I am on the go, but I recently recieved a gift card for my birthday so this time I will be purchasing a physical book through a large book retailer.

“Where’s Wally?” published in the US under the title “Where’s Waldo?”.
“You don’t know it. You just know about it. That is not the same thing.”

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche to me.
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

A plump selection of Mahayana passages, picked by a bodhisattva:

The Training Anthology of Santideva, A Translation of the Siksa-samuccaya Translated by Charles Goodman

An outline of the bodhisattva path:

Ornament of Precious Liberation, A Wish-Fulfilling Gem Of Sublime Dharma by Gampopa Sönam Rinchen. Translated by Ken Holmes.
May all seek, find & follow the Path of Buddhas.
Terma

Post by Terma »

Simon E. wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:25 pm

Thanks, Simon. But I was actually thinking about a "dharma book". Funny that...

Not sure if that was your suggestion or your favorite book? :lol:
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

Terma wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:34 pm
Simon E. wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:25 pm

Thanks, Simon. But I was actually thinking about a "dharma book". Funny that...

Not sure if that was your suggestion or your favorite book? :lol:
Of COURSE it’s a Dharma book Terma.. :smile: It promotes one pointedness of mind.
“You don’t know it. You just know about it. That is not the same thing.”

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche to me.
sangyey

Post by sangyey »

Tsongkhapa’s Lam Rim Volumes 1,2, and 3.

Patrul Rinpoche’s Words of my Perfect Teacher.
Terma

Post by Terma »

Some great suggestions so far, thanks everyone.

I do have a decent collection of physical books as well, from when I first began practicing dharma. Some great one's in there, but for some reason I began buying more digital copies of books. Probably for the ease of transportation and the convenience factor.

I suppose I should have mentioned that I practice in the terma tradition, (so Nyingma interwoven with Kagyu influence I suppose).

Still looking for some more options but after some quick thought so far I am considering:

1) Deity, Mantra, Wisdom-

I have a digital copy but this is an absolutely wonderful "manual" in a sense, especially when dealing with creation and completion in the Nyingma tradition. One of my favs, probably on my "top 5" list.

2) Treasury of Precious Knowledge vol. 2-

The commentary to Jigme Lingpa's text just never ceases to amaze me every time I read it. I also have a digital copy, but once again I would definitely put it in my top 5.

3) The Nyingma school of Tibetan Buddhism-

I have heard that Dudjom Rinpoche's work is so detailed and in depth. Does anyone own this book? I get the sense that it really reads a lot like a very in depth text or history book which is no doubt fascinating, but I wonder if it offers much more than that in terms of more than just knowledge?

If anyone can shed some light on this book I would be quite interested.

4) The Tantric Path of Indestructible Wakefulness-

I have not read this and many people say it is one of the best books that they have read while some don't think it is so special. Might have something to do with the author, who knows? Once again if anyone can say a little about this one then I would appreciate it.

Some good and very interesting suggestions so far! I think in general it is an I retesting topic

What books make your "top 3 indespensible" books list?
SilenceMonkey

Post by SilenceMonkey »

"Heart of Compassion" by Dilgo Khyentse

This book touched my heart deeply... It's is a simple and profound commentary of the 37 Practices of a Bodhisattva. I believe the essence of the Mahayana is in this book.
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

Terma wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 2:17 am
3) The Nyingma school of Tibetan Buddhism-
If you’re looking for something a little more expensive, this is a good choice. I would also suggest two more:

1) nyoshul khen r.’s A Marvellous Garland of Rare Gems. Equally remarkable and comprehensive

2) Deities of Tibetan Buddhism - a beautiful and thoroughly indexed compendium of the Zurich collection. If you like iconography, there is really nothing even close to this.

However none of these three are particularly cheap...
Matt J

Post by Matt J »

For practice, if you came in the middle of the night and told me I was going on a long retreat:

1. Flight of the Garuda by Shabkar
2. Clarifying the Natural State, or in its longer format, Moonbeams of Mahamudra by Takpo Tashi Namgyal
3. Cycle of Day and Night by ChNNR
(4). Fearless Lion's Road by Jigme Lingpa, with commentary by Nyoshul Khenpo Rinpoche

I would add that the Tsele Natsok Rangdrol's trilogy have been highly recommended, being:
1. Lamp of Mahamudra
2. Mirror of Mindfulness
3. Circle of the Sun (requires special instruction)
"The world is made of stories, not atoms."
--- Muriel Rukeyser
ratna

Post by ratna »

Present Fresh Wakefulness by Chökyi Nyima Rinpoche.

(I also wholeheartedly recommend receiving teachings from this master whenever opportunity arises.)
Terma

Post by Terma »

ratna wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:00 pm Present Fresh Wakefulness by Chökyi Nyima Rinpoche.

(I also wholeheartedly recommend receiving teachings from this master whenever opportunity arises.)
I have not read this yet, and I wholeheartedly agree with you. I have received teachings and empowerment's from Rinpoche and I feel so, so fortunate to consider him a Guru. Netting Rinpoche in person for only a few minutes was quite powerful.
明安 Myoan
Former staff member

Post by 明安 Myoan »

I wish this thread were a library so I could peek inside some of these books!

:reading:
Namu Amida Butsu
Terma

Post by Terma »

明安 Myoan wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:25 pm I wish this thread were a library so I could peek inside some of these books!

:reading:
I know! If you google search a book often times google will let you preview a good chunk of the book, often time more than 100 pages worth.
明安 Myoan
Former staff member

Post by 明安 Myoan »

:coffee: :reading: :reading: :reading: :reading:
tobes

Post by tobes »

SilenceMonkey wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:33 am "Heart of Compassion" by Dilgo Khyentse

This book touched my heart deeply... It's is a simple and profound commentary of the 37 Practices of a Bodhisattva. I believe the essence of the Mahayana is in this book.
Agree.

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”