Greta Thunberg

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
kalden yungdrung

Greta Thunberg

Post by kalden yungdrung »

Tashi delek,

No doubt about it, a great Bodhisattva this Greta Thunberg.
She has the Heart of Compassion with Wisdom.
We know her from her efforts to save our planet........, which "we" spoiled for our grand children.

Hope she will found a political party in Europe and outside Europe, which goes for our climate and future world.
Guess this will boom and have many teenagers as future voters, those who mostly do not vote will vote.

=======================

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greta_Thunberg

Grandchildren - 00.jpg
Grandchildren - 00.jpg (96.53 KiB) Viewed 3706 times
The best meditation is no meditation
PSM

Re: Greta Thunberg

Post by PSM »

She is being used as a viral marketing campaign: http://www.wrongkindofgreen.org/2019/01 ... l-complex/
Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

As I understand it:

A child is exposed to what is presented to her as a worrying issue at a very early age. She has a personality charactersitic (autism) which means that she is unable to escape from obsession with it, which in turn leads to depression and elective mute behaviour.

Her parents seem to encourage the obsession and she ends up holding a one person school strike.
At this point the media are informed and she becomes public property, gradually being exposed to more people and organisations who see advantage in using her for their own ends and encouraging more high profile campaigning.

Leaving aside sinister stories which may or may not be true, the burden she is carrying for those who are manipulating her, even for positive reasons, will probably soon break her.
It cannot be helped by media references to her, of which she is well aware, as a mentally ill child.

No doubt she will then be canonised, as reflected in the OP, or worse, a posthumous martyrdom if instead of falling mute she becomes suicidal. And yes, that is something I see as a serious possibility for this child. Sadly, some will also be able to use even this as a PR opportunity.
http://www.khyung.com ཁྲོཾ

Om Thathpurushaya Vidhmahe
Suvarna Pakshaya Dheemahe
Thanno Garuda Prachodayath

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

The proper response, Mantrik, whatever her fate is... Pick up our shit and hump. She should not be carrying the weight. We are the shits who haven't done enough.
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

Mantrik wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:33 pm As I understand it:

A child is exposed to what is presented to her as a worrying issue at a very early age. She has a personality charactersitic (autism) which means that she is unable to escape from obsession with it, which in turn leads to depression and elective mute behaviour.

Her parents seem to encourage the obsession and she ends up holding a one person school strike.
At this point the media are informed and she becomes public property, gradually being exposed to more people and organisations who see advantage in using her for their own ends and encouraging more high profile campaigning.

Leaving aside sinister stories which may or may not be true, the burden she is carrying for those who are manipulating her, even for positive reasons, will probably soon break her.
It cannot be helped by media references to her, of which she is well aware, as a mentally ill child.

No doubt she will then be canonised, as reflected in the OP, or worse, a posthumous martyrdom if instead of falling mute she becomes suicidal. And yes, that is something I see as a serious possibility for this child. Sadly, some will also be able to use even this as a PR opportunity.
I am reluctant to agree, and I am not a climate change denier, but I agree. Watching her address to the UN I worried for her personally.
“You don’t know it. You just know about it. That is not the same thing.”

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche to me.
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

The same here. Poor kid to a certain degree, I am afraid she might be used... I just hope this is what is needed for people to wake up a little and do something for the climate for real.
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

For those who do virtuous actions,
goodness is what comes to pass.
For those who do non-virtuous actions,
that becomes suffering indeed.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
Matt J

Post by Matt J »

Of course, none of us has the full story, and the truth is probably in the middle, but it is interesting the widespread resistance to the idea that a young, neurodivergent girl could be self-empowered. Here’s her take:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 6497083173
"The world is made of stories, not atoms."
--- Muriel Rukeyser
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Queequeg wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:39 pm The proper response, Mantrik, whatever her fate is... Pick up our shit and hump. She should not be carrying the weight. We are the shits who haven't done enough.
Agreed.

People with Aspergers often have problems understanding lying. This is how my right wing acquaintances are processing her telling what as far as I know is almost a scientific certainty.
https://www.imdb.com/name/nm10361418/?f ... 01bNb3Rj0U
So clearly she is an Antifa Nazi trying to steal our freedom.
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

Matt J wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:58 pm Of course, none of us has the full story, and the truth is probably in the middle, but it is interesting the widespread resistance to the idea that a young, neurodivergent girl could be self-empowered. Here’s her take:

I have no resistance to such an idea. I am basing my view of her psychological state on
my experience in working with adolescents displaying high levels of stress associated with cognitive dissonance. I am not speculating about the cause of that dissonance or denying the reality of the situation she is highlighting.

Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Simon E. wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:30 pm
Matt J wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:58 pm Of course, none of us has the full story, and the truth is probably in the middle, but it is interesting the widespread resistance to the idea that a young, neurodivergent girl could be self-empowered. Here’s her take:

I have no resistance to such an idea. I am basing my view of her psychological state on
my experience in working with adolescents displaying high levels of stress associated with cognitive dissonance. I am not speculating about the cause of that dissonance or denying the reality of the situation she is highlighting.
Some stats I saw see a few hundred million climate refugees and the carrying capacity of the earth dropping by a few billion people. We went through all these scenarios in the military once Camp Century melted. It was supposed to last for centuries and never thaw. Canada won't be too bad if we can keep out the riff raff. We gain a significant amount of arable land and have resources of uranium, petroleum, steel, aluminum, potash etc. We are already preparing on a strategic level betting on the fact that global superpowers are corrupt oligarchies that will simply let the world burn to protect their wealth. One dead kid won't mean anything once the party starts.

Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

Erm...that’s nice? Or alternatively that’s bad! Take your pick. I have no frak idea what point you are making.

As usual.

Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

Spot on, Nemo.

The climate changing is really a material matter. Material is relatively speaking manageable. The real problems are gong to be social and political caused by the mass migration of people.

A volkerwandurung is coming. The clamor for walls is just starting. Those border regions may well turn into killing fields.

If even those conservative forecasts bear out, things are going to be really ugly.

But as is our running disagreement, I'm not ready to give up and retreat just yet. There are still opportunities. I'm still making contingency plans.
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
Matt J

Post by Matt J »

I am thinking of the hysteria she has evidently triggered in the right wing media (at least in the US).

Simon E. wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:30 pm
"The world is made of stories, not atoms."
--- Muriel Rukeyser
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

Nemo wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:21 pm
People with Aspergers often have problems understanding lying. This is how my right wing acquaintances are processing her telling what as far as I know is almost a scientific certainty.
Right wing propaganda is so head spinning these days, the party courting actual Nazi's accusing anti-fascists of being Nazis...never thought anything would make me long for the days of Tea Party propaganda.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

I am thinking of her.
I thought it was clear that was my interest in the thread. I am not not denying the catastrophic impact of climate change , but there are many debates concerning that, everyone is an expert. I was responding to and sharing Matriks concern for the well being of a young women.
I should have known that it would not be possible without the usual conspiracy theories, ancient military memoirs, and self righteousness.

DharmaJunior

Post by DharmaJunior »

Greta opening words at the climate action summit were: "this is all wrong, I shouldn't be up here."

Well she is :smile:
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

Whatever is her fate - she's wonderful.
An outstanding personality.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Simon E. wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:02 pm Erm...that’s nice? Or alternatively that’s bad! Take your pick. I have no frak idea what point you are making.

As usual.
it's odd how someone would take their work experience and apply it to a situation? If not for various malign political machinations she would not have they psych trauma you see afflicting her. There would be nothing to heal in the first place. Isn't preventative medicine better than triage and palliative care?

I am endlessly fascinated by the machinations of the new right to protect the fossil fuel industry. Largely because I was taught about climate change by military intelligence analysts and the Conservative government of the day saw it as the greatest existential threat to Canada. This change in direction points to the puppet masters and how they run things. Propaganda is both the problem and solution to the current crisis. I get that many people are so old it doesn't effect them so they don't care. But if you have kids you need to be prepared.

The experts all seem to be in agreement. At least if this chart by Reagan's former conservative science advisor is correct. Which it probably is since it is peer reviewed.
Queequeg wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:10 pm But as is our running disagreement, I'm not ready to give up and retreat just yet. There are still opportunities. I'm still making contingency plans.
Hope for the best but prepare for the worst.
Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

Queequeg wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:39 pm The proper response, Mantrik, whatever her fate is... Pick up our shit and hump. She should not be carrying the weight. We are the shits who haven't done enough.
I spent decades working with children in their teens, many thousands of them. I really am very worried for her, and were she in the UK and displaying this behaviour, and with her history, I would want to be satisfied that professionals were being involved in her care. Perhaps they are, I don't know.

I expressed an anxiety for her well-being and in one forum was accused of hate speech, misogyny, etc etc. as so many people come to this with preconceptions or media-led views rather than any experience of such children.

The proper response is a personal matter, but I want to separate her from the phenomenon, in which she is catalytic.

Perhaps look at this from the compassionate standpoint, maybe greater good and least harm, as we see it individually.

My response to her is to wish her a long and happy life, free from harmful influencers and conditions.

My response to the phenomenon of protest around climate change is indeed that we should all do whatever we can to improve our environment and put pressure on our leaders to make wider changes.

My response to Extinction Rebellion is that they need to stop alienating their fellow citizens, 'do a Greenpeace' and take it to the Indians and Chinese. Without massive change from them, protesting against the UK etc. is like complaining about a rock pool getting your feet wet whilst a tsunami is approaching.
http://www.khyung.com ཁྲོཾ

Om Thathpurushaya Vidhmahe
Suvarna Pakshaya Dheemahe
Thanno Garuda Prachodayath

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Mantrik wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:30 pm
I spent decades working with children in their teens, many thousands of them. I really am very worried for her, and were she in the UK and displaying this behaviour, and with her history, I would want to be satisfied that professionals were being involved in her care. Perhaps they are, I don't know.

I expressed an anxiety for her well-being and in one forum was accused of hate speech, misogyny, etc etc. as so many people come to this with preconceptions or media-led views rather than any experience of such children.

The proper response is a personal matter, but I want to separate her from the phenomenon, in which she is catalytic.

Perhaps look at this from the compassionate standpoint, maybe greater good and least harm, as we see it individually.

My response to her is to wish her a long and happy life, free from harmful influencers and conditions.

My response to the phenomenon of protest around climate change is indeed that we should all do whatever we can to improve our environment and put pressure on our leaders to make wider changes.

My response to Extinction Rebellion is that they need to stop alienating their fellow citizens, 'do a Greenpeace' and take it to the Indians and Chinese. Without massive change from them, protesting against the UK etc. is like complaining about a rock pool getting your feet wet whilst a tsunami is approaching.
The flip side for her is she has seen that she can literally change the entire world through sheer force of will. This will greatly mitigate any long term damage. Most troubled teens feel vulnerable and ineffectual.

Return to “Lounge”