Passing of Khenpo Karthar Rinpoche

practitioner

Passing of Khenpo Karthar Rinpoche

Post by practitioner » Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:47 pm

Dear KTC and KKSG Sangha Family,

As you are aware, Khenpo Karthar Rinpoche was admitted to Kingston Hospital on Thursday, October 3rd. He was then transported by medical helicopter to Westchester Medical Center on Friday, October 4th in hopes of receiving better treatment for a blood vessel blockage.

Yesterday, Rinpoche was brought back to Karme Ling in Delhi. Our beloved teacher passed away in his room this morning, October 6th, 2019, at 3:35 am (EDT). For the next three days, Rinpoche will remain in meditative absorption without disturbance. It has been recommended that students at all the centers do guru yoga and meditate on mixing their minds with Rinpoche's mind with the aspiration to always be with him life after life.

Further information will be forthcoming as to how the public can pay their respects to Khenpo Karthar Rinpoche after the next three days have passed.

Karmapa Chenno,

Sandy Hu
On behalf of Lama Karma Drodhul (KTD President)
A biography of Karthar Rinpoche can be found here https://kagyu.org/khenpo-karthar-rinpoche/

Khenpo Karthar was a giant in the Kagyu lineage and if you have any connection to him, now is the time to practice.
:buddha2: :buddha2: :buddha2:
One should do nothing other than benefit sentient beings either directly or indirectly - Shantideva

puggily

Re: Passing of Khenpo Karthar Rinpoche

Post by puggily » Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:18 pm

A true master....

PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba » Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:29 pm

KKR was my first teacher, and that has been for more of my entire lifetime.
he has benefited countless beings, devoted to fulfilling the wishes of HH 16th Karmapa, as abbot of KTD Monastery, in Woodstock NY.
Many teachers these days put their own twist on things.
The translator, Lama Yeshe Gyamtso remarked, "Khenpo Karthar Rinpoche transmits the teachings without distortion".
He is always in the hearts of his students, even when they do not see him for many years.

On a personal note:
I was so fortunate to be able to work at KTD for a short time and see him almost daily.
There are many amazing stories which can be told of this very soft-spoken lama.
In 1992 (?) he held a five precepts ceremony, open to all.That includes the vow to abstain from drinking.
So, I did that, after some 15 years or so of seriously bad alcohol addiction (none of the programs worked for me).
Immediately afterwards, there was no longer any craving to drink. It has never reoccurred. That was it. Problem solved.
I'm sure I would be dead today otherwise.

Profile Picture: "The Fo Ming (Buddha Bright) Monk"
People on web forums sometime seem to be foaming at the mouth.

conebeckham

Post by conebeckham » Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:00 pm

A great loss for the Karmapa, and for the Kagyu lineage.
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")

tobes

Post by tobes » Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:25 am

:bow: :bow: :bow:

The biography is rather beautiful by the way.

practitioner

Post by practitioner » Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:37 pm

The cremation of Khenpo Khartar Rinpoche is occuring today at KTD Monastery and is being live-streamed on their facebook page.
https://www.facebook.com/Karma.Triyana. ... 897698614/
One should do nothing other than benefit sentient beings either directly or indirectly - Shantideva

Simon E.

Post by Simon E. » Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:10 pm

:namaste: :namaste: :namaste:
“The difference between us and Tara is that she knows she doesn’t exist”.

Virgo
Former staff member

Post by Virgo » Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:43 pm

Too bad it is such a rainy day. Khenpo Khartar Rinpoche was a great master of the Kagyu.

Kevin

smcj

Post by smcj » Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:15 pm

I must confess I’m such a “true believer” that I’m surprised by the rain. That many Kagyu Rinpoche’s should be able to forestall the rain until after it’s over.
:o
Oh well. Guess not.
https://soundcloud.com/user-730689343/chenrezig-puja
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
2. I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against lama abuse.
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)

Jangchup Donden

Post by Jangchup Donden » Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:38 am

smcj wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:15 pm
I must confess I’m such a “true believer” that I’m surprised by the rain. That many Kagyu Rinpoche’s should be able to forestall the rain until after it’s over.
Oh well. Guess not.
Rain can be a teaching just as much as sunshine and rainbows. From the great teacher's I've seen, they've never played into my expectations of them. And Khenpo Karthar Rinpoche was a great teacher.

PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba » Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:43 am

smcj wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:15 pm
Oh well. Guess not.
For years, every time Khenpo Karthar Rinpoche gave teachings at the (KTC) dharma center where I used to live, it rained.
Of course, he usually came in October, which is rainy there. So, there's that.
But it was always regarded as auspicious, a "Rain Of Wisdom".
Profile Picture: "The Fo Ming (Buddha Bright) Monk"
People on web forums sometime seem to be foaming at the mouth.

smcj

Post by smcj » Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:11 am

From the great teacher's I've seen, they've never played into my expectations of them.
Very true.
For years, every time Khenpo Karthar Rinpoche gave teachings at the (KTC) dharma center where I used to live, it rained.....

It might be auspicious, but chanting pujas for 3 hours in the rain without cover or attire must have been....tough.

I’m a lightweight. I meditate in a chair. I wouldn’t have been able to handle it.
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)

tobes

Post by tobes » Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:21 am

I only have the remotest connection to Khenpo Karthar Rinpoche, and my only siddhi is being able to eat chocolate without getting too fat - but I performed a little tsog for him after his passing and: amazing full rainbow appeared soon after.

Weather event or auspicious sign? Who knows.

Lingpupa

Post by Lingpupa » Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:47 am

tobes wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:21 am
I have a strong suspicion that many genuine "miracles" come about through a tiny shift in the configuration of the way things are, and therefore often seem to be things that would have or could have happened anyway.
All the best
Alex Wilding
Stupa in the Snow blog at http://chagchen.org/

smcj

Post by smcj » Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:46 am

Lingpupa wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:47 am
tobes wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:21 am
I have a strong suspicion that many genuine "miracles" come about through a tiny shift in the configuration of the way things are, and therefore often seem to be things that would have or could have happened anyway.
“Improbable coincidences”. Or, as was said in the Nixon Administration, plausible deniability. “Who me? I didn’t do that.”

Once in a while
You can get shown the light
In the strangest of places
If you look at it right.

Or as is sometimes said in AA, “god shots”.

Yep.

tobes

Post by tobes » Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:36 pm

It's also an 'in the eye of the beholder' kind of thing.

A rainbow can appear when you're in a dull state, and it's just some sun shining through some water.

Or it can appear when you've been a tiny bit inspired by practice/blessings, and there's a bit of bliss anyway, so "I'll take that as a blessing."

conebeckham

Post by conebeckham » Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:08 am

I think rain during Jinseks is a good sign...or so I have heard. I dunno.

BTW, They did Jinseks for Gyalwa Gyamtso, KunRig, Mitrukpa and Opakme at the same time. That's quite an elaborate undertaking!
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")

smcj

Post by smcj » Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:12 am

I think rain during Jinseks is a good sign...or so I have heard. I dunno.
For a real Vajrayana practitioner everything is the guru’s blessings. I, however, have a distinctly egocentric preference for how I want to be blessed. That includes being warm, dry, and fed. That’s why I’ll not ever be able to say I’m a true Vajrayana practitioner this time around.

The lead up to that level of practice is in part not finding fault with the guru. I’m still working on that too.

Jangchup Donden

Post by Jangchup Donden » Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:23 pm

smcj wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:11 am
From the great teacher's I've seen, they've never played into my expectations of them.
Very true.
For years, every time Khenpo Karthar Rinpoche gave teachings at the (KTC) dharma center where I used to live, it rained.....

It might be auspicious, but chanting pujas for 3 hours in the rain without cover or attire must have been....tough.

I’m a lightweight. I meditate in a chair. I wouldn’t have been able to handle it.
A number of years ago I did a phowa retreat at Karme Ling with Khenpo Karthar Rinpoche. It was in June and a lot of us camped out for it and we practiced under tents outside.

Each day of the retreat it got colder and rainier, I was surprised that it didn't snow by the end of it. I'm pretty sure it got down into the low 40s if not high 30s (Fahrenheit). I think about the 3rd day in, the tarps we had put down on the ground to meditate and listen on during the day were just over a sea of mud. I remember sitting and walking around them with mud squishing everywhere. It was a really powerful retreat, being huddled under blankets listening and practicing surrounded by cold, rain and mud. Somehow I feel the rain is fitting. :)

smcj

Post by smcj » Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:29 pm

Somehow I feel the rain is fitting.
If you’ve got the ***** to handle it, sure. I don’t.

There’s video of some Kagyu lama alive today in eastern Tibet that spent years outside on a rock. (white robes=?) People couldn’t talk him into going inside. He wanted to stay on that rock. So they built a hut around him.

I like soft beds, good food, indoor plumbing, AC and heat, etc. I’ll always be a dilettante.

BTW all the retreat cabins at Karma Ling each have full kitchen, bath, and laundry—but no AC. That’s good enough for me.

Return to “Kagyu”