"Mahayana Buddhism is based on a lie"

A place to post videos, pictures, and any other sort of Buddhist or non-Buddhist media.
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

"Mahayana Buddhism is based on a lie"

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

I have so many problems with this article... it has some interesting points, but still. What are your takes?
https://thetattooedbuddha.com/2017/04/2 ... bqisoYjy8Q
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

For those who do virtuous actions,
goodness is what comes to pass.
For those who do non-virtuous actions,
that becomes suffering indeed.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Re: "Mahayana Buddhism is based on a lie"

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

Miroku wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:14 am I have so many problems with this article... it has some interesting points, but still. What are your takes?
This is one of worst articles I’ve seen on ‘basic’ Buddhism, period. That is really saying something. He basically just made some stuff up, put some ‘tude on it, called it good. No citations on any of his broad claims or anything, because proving you're not full of crap is too academic and boring. Completely worth ignoring IMO. The thing about vegetarianism in Sutras so that elites could hoard meat....wow.

It's ironic as hell that he venerates studying with Theravadins in Sri Lanka and then decries "elitist" Buddhism, I don't mean to generalize, but you can't get instituional Buddhism that is much more "elite vs. Common" than modern institutional Theravada is.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
tobes

Post by tobes »

"Put down your books and go live Buddhism" says the man writing books about Buddhism.

Where's the face palm emoticon?
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Johnny Dangerous wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:46 am It's ironic as hell that he venerates studying with Theravadins in Sri Lanka and then decries "elitist" Buddhism, I don't mean to generalize, but you can't get instituional Buddhism that is much more "elite vs. Common" than modern institutional Theravada is.
Really? Care to elaborate?
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

The article is jsut stupid. However, I quite frankly liked his point about doing some charity. But also that point kinda betrays the author as there are quite a few charities and charitable organisations lead by tibetan buddhists in the west. Be it Maitreya, AsiaOnlus, etc.

What quite fascinates me is how the person just really is talking s**t about like 70% of Buddhadharma.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
Wayfarer
Former staff member

Post by Wayfarer »

It’s a crap article. No purpose is served by republishing such nonsense.
'Only practice with no gaining idea' ~ Suzuki Roshi
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

Miroku wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:14 am I have so many problems with this article... it has some interesting points, but still. What are your takes?
Donald Rumsfeld once pointed out, there are known knowns, known unknowns, and unknown unknowns. This fellow revels in the third.
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Post by Schrödinger’s Yidam »

If you like religious processions and guys parading around in funny hats, you can get that at the Episcopal cathedral, and there you won’t have to sit on the floor.
I like the “you won’t have to sit on the floor” part.
As a modern footnote, last year Kalu R was supposed to come to a western monastery on a Tuesday morning around 10am. A full-on traditional procession was planned to greet him with trumpets, banners, incense, and everyone in their finest robes.

However instead of arriving Tuesday at 10a, he showed up in a cab Monday night late after everybody had gone to bed. He had been here before so he knew how to get into the building and where to sleep. So nobody knew he had arrived.

The next morning he called the nun in charge and told her something had come up and he couldn’t come at all. After she’d processed that shock he came clean and told her he was already there upstairs in his room. Compared to the idea he wasn’t coming at all she felt relieved.

I guess he’s not into that whole procession thing. The times they are a changing.
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
2. I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against lama abuse.
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

Miroku wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:00 am
Johnny Dangerous wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:46 am It's ironic as hell that he venerates studying with Theravadins in Sri Lanka and then decries "elitist" Buddhism, I don't mean to generalize, but you can't get instituional Buddhism that is much more "elite vs. Common" than modern institutional Theravada is.
Really? Care to elaborate?
Huge gap between laypeople and monastics, rich monks and monasteries, lots of people who don’t practice and just gain merit by donation/sponsorship etc.

We all know this stuff certainly exists in Tibetan and other Buddhism of course, but it’s pretty amusing to talk about Theravada as egalitarian, and just showcases his ignorance.

Wasn’t intending a specific put down of Theravada, just pointing out that if one wants to criticize’elite’ Buddhism Theravada is just as guilty. In fact, the least ‘Elite’ tendencies are arguably found in one of the groups he criticized the most - Pureland.

On the charity thing, he’s right generally, in the manner of a broken clock.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

smcj wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:37 pm
If you like religious processions and guys parading around in funny hats, you can get that at the Episcopal cathedral, and there you won’t have to sit on the floor.
I like the “you won’t have to sit on the floor” part.
As a modern footnote, last year Kalu R was supposed to come to a western monastery on a Tuesday morning around 10am. A full-on traditional procession was planned to greet him with trumpets, banners, incense, and everyone in their finest robes.

However instead of arriving Tuesday at 10a, he showed up in a cab Monday night late after everybody had gone to bed. He had been here before so he knew how to get into the building and where to sleep. So nobody knew he had arrived.

The next morning he called the nun in charge and told her something had come up and he couldn’t come at all. After she’d processed that shock he came clean and told her he was already there upstairs in his room. Compared to the idea he wasn’t coming at all she felt relieved.

I guess he’s not into that whole procession thing. The times they are a changing.
That is actually a pretty nice story! You are correct, things are changing. Bit of a shame I am a huge fan of silly hats tho.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
DewachenVagabond

Post by DewachenVagabond »

I don't have anything substantive to add, but I thought this was funny:

Sokka Gakai is based on the “Lotus” Sutra
I find the placement of the quotation marks funny, especially in context of what the author is discussing in the part leading up to it. It seems the author doesn't know how scare quotes work. Is the author questioning the authenticity of it as a sutra or are the questioning the fact it is named after a flower? Obviously they're attempting the former, but for some reason they put quotes around Lotus. I agree that there is little of value in the article; the author seems to be pulling most of it out of their ass.
:bow: :buddha1: :bow: :anjali: :meditate:
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

SonamTashi wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:44 pm I don't have anything substantive to add, but I thought this was funny:

Sokka Gakai is based on the “Lotus” Sutra
I find the placement of the quotation marks funny, especially in context of what the author is discussing in the part leading up to it. It seems the author doesn't know how scare quotes work. Is the author questioning the authenticity of it as a sutra or are the questioning the fact it is named after a flower? Obviously they're attempting the former, but for some reason they put quotes around Lotus. I agree that there is little of value in the article; the author seems to be pulling most of it out of their ass.
Oh, yes definetly. But! The "Lotus" is something I have noticed too and it is just weird and maybe a bit quirky. These small things are kinda worth bringing up. But ... that might just be me being a masochist. :shrug:

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
jet.urgyen

Post by jet.urgyen »

it have some very good points.
true dharma is inexpressible.

The bodhisattva nourishes from bodhicitta, through whatever method the Buddha has given him. Oh joy.
Norwegian

Post by Norwegian »

javier.espinoza.t wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:28 pm it have some very good points.
It doesn't. The writer is an uneducated idiot who peddles their own confusion to others.
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Post by Schrödinger’s Yidam »

Norwegian wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:46 pm
javier.espinoza.t wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:28 pm it have some very good points.
It doesn't. The writer is an uneducated idiot who peddles their own confusion to others.
He’s a Shravakayanist. It’s his karmic perspective. In his blindness he is grabbing the part of the elephant that is appropriate for his karma.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the article played well on DhammaWheel.
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
2. I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against lama abuse.
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)
Norwegian

Post by Norwegian »

smcj wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:59 pm
He’s a Shravakayanist. It’s his karmic perspective. In his blindness he is grabbing the part of the elephant that is appropriate for his karma.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the article played well on DhammaWheel.
Yes nothing new to read in that article. It's the same old same old from such people.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Könchok Thrinley wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:14 am I have so many problems with this article... it has some interesting points, but still. What are your takes?
Know nothing Buddhism for know nothings.
jet.urgyen

Post by jet.urgyen »

is just a guy who has an opinion. for example, i liked the
Buddhism is just so much mumbo-jumbo—authentic mumbo-jumbo, if you try to keep up with Tibetan chants
part, because i find it is true, and
Call me a Hinayana and I’ll grab your nipple and twist it real hard
made me laugh loud hahah
true dharma is inexpressible.

The bodhisattva nourishes from bodhicitta, through whatever method the Buddha has given him. Oh joy.
Norwegian

Post by Norwegian »

javier.espinoza.t wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:00 pm is just a guy who has an opinion.
Yes, a guy with an uninformed opinion based on total ignorance. He has no understanding whatsoever.
"Buddhism is just so much mumbo-jumbo—authentic mumbo-jumbo, if you try to keep up with Tibetan chants"
This is another one of his ignorant comments.
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

He makes two good points
1/ intellectual aptitude is not necessary for enlightenment. Effort is necessary.
2/ way too many western Buddhists are good at finding excuses to not practice generosity

The rest is uninformed and silly

Return to “Media”