Tantra

avatamsaka3

Tantra

Post by avatamsaka3 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:53 pm

In the view of the Gelugs, at what point should Tantra be practiced? I've seen some evidence that tantric practices can begin quite early in life (I believe Je Tsongkhapa started rather early), but I've also read that most view Tantra as a post-Lamrim activity, or a post-shedra activity in some sense. It certainly seems to this practitioner that there's a lot of material to be absorbed before Tantra can be really understood and fruitful.

Fortyeightvows

Re: Tantra

Post by Fortyeightvows » Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:05 pm

At least be familiar with the lam rim

kausalya

Post by kausalya » Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:45 pm

I've received the explanation (specifically concerning Gelug teachings) that it may be auspicious to meet the yidam early, in case death occurs prior to our actually having the ability to practice effectively. To me it feels a bit like getting children's clothes in a larger size, knowing that they will fit as the child grows.
"For as long as space remains,
For as long as sentient beings remain,
Until then may I too remain
To dispel the miseries of the world."
(Shantideva)

Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu » Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:51 pm

Yes, because they think in the size of many lives of dharma practice.

Anyhow the lamrim is important. Precious teachings:
The cause and meaning of renunciation, the practices of bodhisattvas, bodhicitta, concentration and shamata. An understanding of emptiness. These teachings have to be understood and practiced. They are not minor.

A foundation is at the beginning, at the bottom. But that doesn't mean it is minor. It carries the whole weight.
For the benefit and ease of all sentient beings. :heart:

kausalya

Post by kausalya » Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:59 pm

Ayu wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:51 pm
Anyhow the lamrim is important. Precious teachings:
The cause and meaning of renunciation, the practices of bodhisattvas, bodhicitta, concentration and shamata. An understanding of emptiness. These teachings have to be understood and practiced. They are not minor.

:good:

Three Principal Paths!
"For as long as space remains,
For as long as sentient beings remain,
Until then may I too remain
To dispel the miseries of the world."
(Shantideva)

avatamsaka3

Post by avatamsaka3 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:56 am

Thanks, everyone. Has anyone read The Great Exposition of Secret Mantra, Volume One by His Holiness? It looks like a great text, but I'm not sure if it's recommended to have an initiation before reading it.

Lobsang Chojor

Post by Lobsang Chojor » Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:56 am

dolphin_color wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:53 pm
In the view of the Gelugs, at what point should Tantra be practiced? I've seen some evidence that tantric practices can begin quite early in life (I believe Je Tsongkhapa started rather early), but I've also read that most view Tantra as a post-Lamrim activity, or a post-shedra activity in some sense. It certainly seems to this practitioner that there's a lot of material to be absorbed before Tantra can be really understood and fruitful.
Tantra should be practiced once you have a grounding in the lam rim, to truly make progress you have to be able to meditate on bodhicitta and emptiness.
dolphin_color wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:56 am
Thanks, everyone. Has anyone read The Great Exposition of Secret Mantra, Volume One by His Holiness? It looks like a great text, but I'm not sure if it's recommended to have an initiation before reading it.
The first volume mainly talks about why we should practice tantra and is an overview, the second, third and fourth go into detail about the practice. I believe an initiation is suggested prior to reading, I'm not sure how much it matters for volume 1 but for the rest one is vital.
"Morality does not become pure unless darkness is dispelled by the light of wisdom"
  • Aryasura, Paramitasamasa 6.5
ༀ་ཨ་ར་པ་ཙ་ན་དྷཱི༔ Oṃ A Ra Pa Ca Na Dhīḥ

avatamsaka3

Post by avatamsaka3 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:42 pm

I'm mainly interested in Volume 1... Which initiation would be recommended for that one?

Lobsang Chojor

Post by Lobsang Chojor » Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:16 pm

dolphin_color wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:42 pm
I'm mainly interested in Volume 1... Which initiation would be recommended for that one?
You should take an empowerment based on faith and devotion to the guru and the practice.

There isn't a particular empowerment for the text, but it'd be best to receive teachings on it from a qualified teacher.
"Morality does not become pure unless darkness is dispelled by the light of wisdom"

avatamsaka3

Post by avatamsaka3 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:32 pm

There are some geshes I could ask about it. Thanks.

Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Post by Könchok Thrinley » Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:03 pm

dolphin_color wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:32 pm
Yes! The best course of action. :twothumbsup: Hope you find answers.
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

Formerly known as Miroku.

Lobsang Chojor

Post by Lobsang Chojor » Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:41 pm

dolphin_color wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:32 pm
That's the best option :twothumbsup: if you're close to a geshe talk to them and they can clarify your questions and doubts about tantra.

Return to “Gelug”