No new Nyingma head!

Post Reply
Punya
Posts: 1295
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:50 pm

No new Nyingma head!

Post by Punya » Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:38 am

Posted by Shechen Monastery:

Major changes in selecting Nyingma head:

The system of selecting the head figure for Nyingma School has been discontinued. The core members of International Nyingma Monlam Foundation and heads of all major Nyingma Monasteries did thorough discussion regarding this matter and unanimously decided it during the 31st Nyingma Monlam in Bodh Gaya, India today. International Nyingma Monlam Foundation will be the General Headquarter of entire Nyingma School.


An understandable change. From what I know this system was created after 1959.
.
Attachments
ea390bf2cda514841db30f876e3f8ece.jpg
ea390bf2cda514841db30f876e3f8ece.jpg (21.31 KiB) Viewed 2630 times
We abide nowhere. We possess nothing.
~Chatral Rinpoche

User avatar
Mantrik
Former staff member
Posts: 2132
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:55 pm
Contact:

Re: No new Nyingma head!

Post by Mantrik » Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:42 am

Does this mean no new head after Dzogchen Rinpoche or did he turn it down last January?

The story from several websites, this version from Buddhistdoor:

''Dzogchen Rinpoche Jigme Losel Wangpo has been selected as the eighth head of the Nyingma school of Tibetan Buddhism. The Seventh Dzogchen Rinpoche was appointed to the position on 15 January by the heads of the principal monasteries of the Nyingma tradition, during the 30th Nyingma Monlam in Bodh Gaya, India.

Dzogchen Rinpoche will succeed His Holiness the Kathok Getse Rinpoche Gyurme Tenpa Gyaltsen after his sudden passing in November last year.*

The 54-year-old principal holder of the Dzogchen lineage has yet to accept the position as he was not present at the annual Nyingma prayer gathering in Bodh Gaya. ''
http://www.khyung.com ཁྲོཾ

Om Thathpurushaya Vidhmahe
Suvarna Pakshaya Dheemahe
Thanno Garuda Prachodayath

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)

User avatar
Vasana
Posts: 2098
Joined: Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:22 am

Re: No new Nyingma head!

Post by Vasana » Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:48 pm

Dzogchen Ponlop turned down the position.
{English Translation}

Notice

Concerning the appointment of a new Head of the Nyingma Tradition.


At the annual Nyingma Prayer Festival Nyingma Monlam held at the sacred site of Bodhgaya, India, on the 8th day of 12th month of the lunar calendar, a meeting of the Nyingma Monlam Organization Committee and other important persons connected to the Nyingma Lineage was held to discuss the Head of the Nyingma Tradition. Previously, from the appointment of Kyabje Dudom Rinpoche up through to Kyabje Taklung Tsetrul Rinpoche, the position of Head of the Nyingma Tradition was held be a distinguished line of high lamas who brought great benefit to the general and specific welfare of sentient beings and the teachings of Buddha.

Subsequently, in 2018, at the twenty-ninth Nyingma Monlam, it was decided the title of head of the Nyingma tradition should be shared between the six-major Nyingma Monasteries in this order: Kathok, Dzogchen, Shechen, Mindroling, Dorje Drak, and Palyul; with a senior Lama from each monastery holding the position for three years.

As par this decision, a request was made of Kyabje Kathok Getse Rinpoche to assume the role of head of the Nyingma Tradition, which he graciously accepted. However, due to the nature of the times and dwindling fortune and merit of beings, Kyabje Rinpoche passed away without completing his tenure. The title then passed to Kyabje Dzogchen Rinpoche who declined to accept it.

This year, 2020, at the thirty-first Nyingma Monlam, repeated requests were made of Kyabje Shechen Rabjam Rinpoche to accept the position of Head of the Nyingma Tradition. Kyabje Shechen Rabjam Rinpoche replied that in his opinion there is a danger that with the insistence of a continued appointment of a ‘head of the tradition’ there comes a danger that it may bring more harm than benefit to the Nyingma lineage. Kyabje Rinpoche went on to suggest there isn’t a need to appoint a Head of Tradition, but rather, seeing as the Nyingma Monlam involves all Nyingmapa organisations, and as the appointed head of the Nyingma Monlam Committee is already engaged in virtuous activities for the benefit of beings and the teaching of the Buddha, it would be adventitious if they would also assume the duties previously undertaken by the Lineage Head.

It has been decided to implement the suggestions of Kyabje Shechen Rabjam Rinpoche, and from now on the organisation committee of the Nyingma Monlam, in addition to its work and commitment to the welfare of beings and the teaching of Buddha, will take the responsibility to continually select and request high lamas and responsible individuals from the various Nyingma Institutions to lead the Monlam Committee and act in accordance with the above.

Nyingma Monlam Committee
ཨོཾ ་ མ ་ ཎི ་ པ ་ དྨེ ་ ཧཱུྃ ། འ ་ ཨ ་ ཧ ་ ཤ ་ ས ་ མ །
Om Mani Peme Hum ། 'A Ah Ha Sha Sa Ma
'When alone, watch your mind,When with others, watch your speech' - Old Kadampa saying

User avatar
Mantrik
Former staff member
Posts: 2132
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:55 pm
Contact:

Re: No new Nyingma head!

Post by Mantrik » Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:11 pm

Vasana wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:48 pm
Dzogchen Ponlop turned down the position.
{English Translation}

Notice

Concerning the appointment of a new Head of the Nyingma Tradition.


At the annual Nyingma Prayer Festival Nyingma Monlam held at the sacred site of Bodhgaya, India, on the 8th day of 12th month of the lunar calendar, a meeting of the Nyingma Monlam Organization Committee and other important persons connected to the Nyingma Lineage was held to discuss the Head of the Nyingma Tradition. Previously, from the appointment of Kyabje Dudom Rinpoche up through to Kyabje Taklung Tsetrul Rinpoche, the position of Head of the Nyingma Tradition was held be a distinguished line of high lamas who brought great benefit to the general and specific welfare of sentient beings and the teachings of Buddha.

Subsequently, in 2018, at the twenty-ninth Nyingma Monlam, it was decided the title of head of the Nyingma tradition should be shared between the six-major Nyingma Monasteries in this order: Kathok, Dzogchen, Shechen, Mindroling, Dorje Drak, and Palyul; with a senior Lama from each monastery holding the position for three years.

As par this decision, a request was made of Kyabje Kathok Getse Rinpoche to assume the role of head of the Nyingma Tradition, which he graciously accepted. However, due to the nature of the times and dwindling fortune and merit of beings, Kyabje Rinpoche passed away without completing his tenure. The title then passed to Kyabje Dzogchen Rinpoche who declined to accept it.

This year, 2020, at the thirty-first Nyingma Monlam, repeated requests were made of Kyabje Shechen Rabjam Rinpoche to accept the position of Head of the Nyingma Tradition. Kyabje Shechen Rabjam Rinpoche replied that in his opinion there is a danger that with the insistence of a continued appointment of a ‘head of the tradition’ there comes a danger that it may bring more harm than benefit to the Nyingma lineage. Kyabje Rinpoche went on to suggest there isn’t a need to appoint a Head of Tradition, but rather, seeing as the Nyingma Monlam involves all Nyingmapa organisations, and as the appointed head of the Nyingma Monlam Committee is already engaged in virtuous activities for the benefit of beings and the teaching of the Buddha, it would be adventitious if they would also assume the duties previously undertaken by the Lineage Head.

It has been decided to implement the suggestions of Kyabje Shechen Rabjam Rinpoche, and from now on the organisation committee of the Nyingma Monlam, in addition to its work and commitment to the welfare of beings and the teaching of Buddha, will take the responsibility to continually select and request high lamas and responsible individuals from the various Nyingma Institutions to lead the Monlam Committee and act in accordance with the above.

Nyingma Monlam Committee
Ah, I see. I was not aware that Dzogchen Rinpoche was also referred to as Kyabje Dzogchen Rinpoche, but I am sure he isn't Ponlop, who is a different person. I'm easily confused. lol :)
http://www.khyung.com ཁྲོཾ

Om Thathpurushaya Vidhmahe
Suvarna Pakshaya Dheemahe
Thanno Garuda Prachodayath

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)

Greg
Posts: 404
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:42 pm

Re: No new Nyingma head!

Post by Greg » Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:02 pm

I mean, I guess they realized it is like signing up to be the drummer in Spinal Tap.

smcj
Posts: 6947
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 6:13 am

Re: No new Nyingma head!

Post by smcj » Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:19 pm

Greg wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:02 pm
I mean, I guess they realized it is like signing up to be the drummer in Spinal Tap.
:jumping:
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
2. I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against lama abuse.
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)

User avatar
conebeckham
Posts: 5098
Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:49 pm
Location: Bay Area, CA, USA

Re: No new Nyingma head!

Post by conebeckham » Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:28 pm

Greg wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:02 pm
I mean, I guess they realized it is like signing up to be the drummer in Spinal Tap.
:applause:
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།


"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")

zerwe
Posts: 316
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:25 am
Location: North Carolina

Re: No new Nyingma head!

Post by zerwe » Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:19 am

From DKR



Shaun :anjali:

User avatar
Nemo
Posts: 1497
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:23 am
Location: Canada

Re: No new Nyingma head!

Post by Nemo » Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:00 pm

Greg wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:02 pm
I mean, I guess they realized it is like signing up to be the drummer in Spinal Tap.
Too soon :D

Hierarchy is incredibly dangerous. Other than times of crisis it should be avoided like poison. Everything from slavery to environmental destruction depends on illegitimate hierarchies.

User avatar
justsit
Posts: 1178
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:24 pm
Location: Delaware

Re: No new Nyingma head!

Post by justsit » Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:02 pm

Nemo wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:00 pm
Hierarchy is incredibly dangerous. Other than times of crisis it should be avoided like poison. Everything from slavery to environmental destruction depends on illegitimate hierarchies.
Is there a difference between a hierarchy and an illegitimate hierarchy?

User avatar
SonamTashi
Posts: 342
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:30 pm

Re: No new Nyingma head!

Post by SonamTashi » Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:17 pm

justsit wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:02 pm
Nemo wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:00 pm
Hierarchy is incredibly dangerous. Other than times of crisis it should be avoided like poison. Everything from slavery to environmental destruction depends on illegitimate hierarchies.
Is there a difference between a hierarchy and an illegitimate hierarchy?
A justified hierarchy is basically one that serves a purpose and is non-exploitative. An easy example is that of a child and a loving parent. If a parent pulls a child out of oncoming traffic, that is an example of a parent exercising legitimate authority within a justified hierarchy. But if the situation were the child makes some mistake, maybe forgets to turn in homework, and the parent vicously beats the child, then the parent no longer is part of a justified hierarchy.

In this situation, the head of the Nyingma school was mostly a figurehead (at least within that specific role; obviously as a head of a monastery they are not simply a figurehead) or symbol to keep the Nyingma school from disappearing. It seems that it has been decided that the figurehead is no longer necessary, but rather that other methods will better promote the strength and growth of the Nyingma school.
:bow: :buddha1: :bow: :anjali: :meditate:

User avatar
Nemo
Posts: 1497
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:23 am
Location: Canada

Re: No new Nyingma head!

Post by Nemo » Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:23 pm

SonamTashi wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:17 pm
justsit wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:02 pm
Nemo wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:00 pm
Hierarchy is incredibly dangerous. Other than times of crisis it should be avoided like poison. Everything from slavery to environmental destruction depends on illegitimate hierarchies.
Is there a difference between a hierarchy and an illegitimate hierarchy?
A justified hierarchy is basically one that serves a purpose and is non-exploitative. An easy example is that of a child and a loving parent. If a parent pulls a child out of oncoming traffic, that is an example of a parent exercising legitimate authority within a justified hierarchy. But if the situation were the child makes some mistake, maybe forgets to turn in homework, and the parent vicously beats the child, then the parent no longer is part of a justified hierarchy.

In this situation, the head of the Nyingma school was mostly a figurehead (at least within that specific role; obviously as a head of a monastery they are not simply a figurehead) or symbol to keep the Nyingma school from disappearing. It seems that it has been decided that the figurehead is no longer necessary, but rather that other methods will better promote the strength and growth of the Nyingma school.
For hierarchies not to be hijacked or abused they need a time limit. They inevitably calcify and become worse than the problem they were created to overcome. Catholic priests or the OSI morphing into the CIA are perfect examples.

Tata1
Posts: 129
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:57 pm

Re: No new Nyingma head!

Post by Tata1 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:03 pm

Greg wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:02 pm
I mean, I guess they realized it is like signing up to be the drummer in Spinal Tap.
Good one :rolling:

Jangchub Dorje
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:53 pm

Re: No new Nyingma head!

Post by Jangchub Dorje » Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:04 pm

Great news.

tingdzin
Posts: 1289
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:19 am

Re: No new Nyingma head!

Post by tingdzin » Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:46 am

The position was created (together with the other "heads") because one certain sect, after the Chinese takeover, decided that Tibetan Buddhism should present a united front (under their own auspices, of course). That particular danger seems to have passed.

Crazywisdom
Posts: 2063
Joined: Fri May 23, 2014 5:48 pm

Re: No new Nyingma head!

Post by Crazywisdom » Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:33 pm

The reason for this is the inauspicious way this guy died after accepting the title: His Holiness the Kathok Getse Rinpoche Gyurme Tenpa Gyaltsen. Folks should research this story bc it will open your eyes to the these guys think. It's a magical realism true story and it is a brain twister. Enfim Nyingma ain't like the other lineages and the dakinis or the nagas or demons or all of them on the same team don't want too much organization or leadership. And you will die if you mess with that.

hornet
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:45 pm

Re: No new Nyingma head!

Post by hornet » Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:56 pm

Hi

Just a reminder how it was not so long ago...

Biography of Dudjom Rinpoche on Youtube


pema tsultrim
Posts: 87
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:49 am

Re: No new Nyingma head!

Post by pema tsultrim » Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:19 pm

I noticed years ago, after HHDR, HHDKR and HHPR, who each, held the position of head of the Nyingma school for a long time, there was a very rapid succession of Nyingma heads, who only held the position for a year or so each, it seems. Some even less time: HH Minling Trichen, HH Trulshik Rinpoche, HH Taklung Tsetrul Rinpoche, and HH Kathog Getse Rinpoche.

User avatar
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member
Posts: 2087
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:18 am

Re: No new Nyingma head!

Post by Könchok Thrinley » Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:20 pm

Crazywisdom wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:33 pm
The reason for this is the inauspicious way this guy died after accepting the title: His Holiness the Kathok Getse Rinpoche Gyurme Tenpa Gyaltsen. Folks should research this story bc it will open your eyes to the these guys think. It's a magical realism true story and it is a brain twister. Enfim Nyingma ain't like the other lineages and the dakinis or the nagas or demons or all of them on the same team don't want too much organization or leadership. And you will die if you mess with that.
Yeah I kinda think the same. The way His Holiness left us was quite sudden and inauspicious.

Also, glad to see you back, man! :thumbsup: I missed you.
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

Formerly known as Miroku.

Crazywisdom
Posts: 2063
Joined: Fri May 23, 2014 5:48 pm

Re: No new Nyingma head!

Post by Crazywisdom » Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:58 pm

Könchok Thrinley wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:20 pm
Crazywisdom wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:33 pm
The reason for this is the inauspicious way this guy died after accepting the title: His Holiness the Kathok Getse Rinpoche Gyurme Tenpa Gyaltsen. Folks should research this story bc it will open your eyes to the these guys think. It's a magical realism true story and it is a brain twister. Enfim Nyingma ain't like the other lineages and the dakinis or the nagas or demons or all of them on the same team don't want too much organization or leadership. And you will die if you mess with that.
Yeah I kinda think the same. The way His Holiness left us was quite sudden and inauspicious.

Also, glad to see you back, man! :thumbsup: I missed you.
Thank you...

Post Reply

Return to “Nyingma”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Guru Dragpo, Toenail and 21 guests