tibetan art books

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Arjan Dirkse

tibetan art books

Post by Arjan Dirkse » Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:50 pm

Hello,

This is not really about the subject matter of Buddhism but more some of the art it has produced. I am looking to buy some art books and I want something with Tibetan, or maybe other Buddhist art treasures, like paintings, murals, temple architecture etc. Big, brightly coloured pictures of art treasures just to enjoy the esthetics really. I like the Tibetan esthetics but good books seem rare or out of print or super expensive. I love those bright golden, ruby and turquise colours.

Does anyone have some advice, some good books they have or have read?

justsit

Re: tibetan art books

Post by justsit » Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:12 am

Guess it depends on what you consider super expensive...

One oversize volume that is quite lovely is Celestial Gallery by Romio Shrestha. It comes in several sizes, the eBay link here is for the largest, 24"x16"; you may be able to find a cheaper copy searching online. The quality of the book itself and the photos is excellent. He's done several other volumes as well, but of course the smaller size books aren't quite as impressive.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Celestial-Gall ... SwNlleIid5

Niina

Post by Niina » Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:15 pm

If you just want to enjoy of the pictures of art, I recommend some Tibetan Art wall calendar (like Sacred Art of Tibet by Tushita calendars). I have had those for several years, and also saved them because of the great pictures.

In many art books pictures can be quite small, or even black and white. In many cases exhibition catalogues have more and bigger pictures of the art (and less text).
I try to search also some name of the books…

(It would be great to have own place to discuss about Buddhist Art related topics)

Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu » Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:18 pm

Niina wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:15 pm
(It would be great to have own place to discuss about Buddhist Art related topics)
Okay, I've split that discussion to Suggestion Box.
:namaste:
For the benefit and ease of all sentient beings. :heart:

lelopa

Post by lelopa » Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:58 pm

justsit wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:12 am
Guess it depends on what you consider super expensive...

One oversize volume that is quite lovely is Celestial Gallery by Romio Shrestha. It comes in several sizes, the eBay link here is for the largest, 24"x16"; you may be able to find a cheaper copy searching online. The quality of the book itself and the photos is excellent. He's done several other volumes as well, but of course the smaller size books aren't quite as impressive.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Celestial-Gall ... SwNlleIid5
Romio seems to have no clue about iconography...

and his art is not much tibetan, no?
हूं हूं हूं
फट् फट् फट्

justsit

Post by justsit » Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:04 pm

lelopa wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:58 pm

The OP indicates they are looking for a Tibetan esthetic, they didn't mention correct iconography. Hence, my recommendation. I think they're primarily looking for pretty pictures. :smile:

lelopa

Post by lelopa » Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:41 pm

justsit wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:04 pm
lelopa wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:58 pm

The OP indicates they are looking for a Tibetan esthetic, they didn't mention correct iconography. Hence, my recommendation. I think they're primarily looking for pretty pictures. :smile:
:thanks:
हूं हूं हूं
फट् फट् फट्

Arjan Dirkse

Post by Arjan Dirkse » Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:00 am

Thanks for those suggestions.

ratna

Post by ratna » Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:25 am

I'd recommend publications by the Rubin Museum of Art -- they come with good descriptions and analysis and are reasonably priced when new (and apparently worth a small fortune when out of print). For example, the Masterworks of Tibetan Painting Series by David Jackson, an excellent scholar. You can preview PDFs of his books at his page on academia.edu.

R
Don't touch me while I'm tantric.

drodul

Post by drodul » Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:52 am

Glenn Mullin has written several books on Tibetan Buddhist art. Buddha in Paradise (about art related to the purelands) and The Female Buddhas are good ones.

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”