Kyabje Jigten Sumgon's protection wheel

Sennin

Kyabje Jigten Sumgon's protection wheel

Post by Sennin » Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:18 pm

Meditation on the Three-Layered Protection Wheel of Chandali by Jigten Sumgon

This sadhana, composed by Jigten Sumgön (1143-1217), contains the practices of Avalokitesharva, the wrathful deity Achala, and Vajrayogini woven into one. It is designed to be practiced when doing the practices of chandali (tummo or inner fire meditation)
I've received the lung of this sadhana but it wasn't explained what 'protection' means.
What does 'protection mean in the context of this sadhana?
How does this short sadhana fit in with the collection of practices of Lord Jigten Sumgon and the Drikung Kagyus?

Any insight would be most appreciated.

AmidaB

Re: Kyabje Jigten Sumgon's protection wheel

Post by AmidaB » Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:31 pm

Hi,
Is there a recorded webcast somewhere?
In relation to the protection my quess is that now you have three layers of armour: compassion, stability and infinite energy. And in the same time you (your I :) ) are nowhere so you are protected from malignant influences. As for gTummo I have read about a variations where you are arise as Achala or Vajrayogini/Vajravarahi (the sadhana speaks about two heads...), but not in combination.

Sennin

Post by Sennin » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:02 pm

AmidaB wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:31 pm
Hi,
In relation to the protection my quess is that now you have three layers of armour: compassion, stability and infinite energy. And in the same time you (your I :) ) are nowhere so you are protected from malignant influences. As for gTummo I have read about a variations where you are arise as Achala or Vajrayogini/Vajravarahi (the sadhana speaks about two heads...), but not in combination.
Thanks. I have emailed a while ago the center who hosted Garchen Rinpoche when he gave this transmission, have yet to hear back from them. It appears that the webcast has been removed as well.

In any case, I usually like to know as much about a sadhana as I can. It makes it more rewarding knowing the history.

I was interested to see if this practice was a supplement to a larger cycle of practice? Is it something Drikungs use in 3 year retreat?

I've sent another email to a Drikung Khenpo so if he is able to answer my question, I'll update this post.

mandog

Post by mandog » Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:27 pm

Sennin wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:02 pm
AmidaB wrote:
Hi,
Thanks. I have emailed a while ago the center who hosted Garchen Rinpoche when he gave this transmission, have yet to hear back from them. It appears that the webcast has been removed as well.

In any case, I usually like to know as much about a sadhana as I can. It makes it more rewarding knowing the history.

I was interested to see if this practice was a supplement to a larger cycle of practice? Is it something Drikungs use in 3 year retreat?

I've sent another email to a Drikung Khenpo so if he is able to answer my question, I'll update this post.
On the Garchen Institute's youtube, there is a video of Drupon Rinchen Dorje teaching this sadhana. It is included in the Chakrasamvara text they use. This was the context in which he was teaching it.

Sennin

Post by Sennin » Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:56 pm

mandog wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:27 pm
Sennin wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:02 pm
AmidaB wrote:
Hi,

On the Garchen Institute's youtube, there is a video of Drupon Rinchen Dorje teaching this sadhana. It is included in the Chakrasamvara text they use. This was the context in which he was teaching it.
That's great.
I received the lung after Gar Rinpoche taught the Ganges Mahamudra.

AmidaB

Post by AmidaB » Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:17 pm

Thanks. :smile:

Sennin

Post by Sennin » Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:10 pm

AmidaB wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:17 pm
Thanks. :smile:
A Khenpo got back to me and explained it's connected to Chakrasamvara and said it can be practiced as a main practice as well.

Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Post by Könchok Thrinley » Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:02 am

Sennin wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:10 pm
A Khenpo got back to me and explained it's connected to Chakrasamvara and said it can be practiced as a main practice as well.
That is really interesting, I did not know about it. Thanks for making this thread. :thumbsup:
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

Formerly known as Miroku.

conebeckham

Post by conebeckham » Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:04 am

Könchok Thrinley wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:02 am
Sennin wrote:
That is really interesting, I did not know about it. Thanks for making this thread. :thumbsup:

I think it's connected to Cakrasamvara as presented by the Drikung Lineage. I don't know that it exists elsewhere. There are other Protection Wheel practices associated with various Cakrasamvara sadhanas, usually involving tramen deities. Actually most HYT sadhanas have protection wheels--perhaps the most famous generally are Vajrabhairava's and White Tara's special Completion Stage Protection Wheel. But I like this Drikung one, it's pithy!
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")

Sennin

Post by Sennin » Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:22 am

conebeckham wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:04 am
Könchok Thrinley wrote:
Sennin wrote:

I think it's connected to Cakrasamvara as presented by the Drikung Lineage. I don't know that it exists elsewhere. There are other Protection Wheel practices associated with various Cakrasamvara sadhanas, usually involving tramen deities. Actually most HYT sadhanas have protection wheels--perhaps the most famous generally are Vajrabhairava's and White Tara's special Completion Stage Protection Wheel. But I like this Drikung one, it's pithy!
Yeah it's pretty straightforward. It's a practice I'm hoping to keep as a sort of connection to the Drikung lineage. :smile:

Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Post by Könchok Thrinley » Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:19 pm

conebeckham wrote:
Könchok Thrinley wrote:
Sennin wrote:

Yeah, I knew about it being part of Chakrasamvara in drikung, but am pretty surprised about it being practiced by itself. Do you happen to know what is the "benefit" or function of this practice?
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

Sennin

Post by Sennin » Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:30 pm

Könchok Thrinley wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:19 pm
conebeckham wrote:
Könchok Thrinley wrote:

Yeah, I knew about it being part of Chakrasamvara in drikung, but am pretty surprised about it being practiced by itself. Do you happen to know what is the "benefit" or function of this practice?
I know you're asking Cone, but I only asked if I could practice this by itself mainly because I don't practice five fold mahamudra. So probably if one is a Drikungpa it may not serve as a main practice cause there's complete practice cycles in that lineage.

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:46 pm

Sennin wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:30 pm

I know you're asking Cone, but I only asked if I could practice this by itself mainly because I don't practice five fold mahamudra. So probably if one is a Drikungpa it may not serve as a main practice cause there's complete practice cycles in that lineage.
Umm, did you forget about Uṣṇīscakravartin? That can be practiced as a standalone sadhana.

Sennin

Post by Sennin » Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:03 pm

Malcolm wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:46 pm
Sennin wrote:

Umm, did you forget about Uṣṇīscakravartin? That can be practiced as a standalone sadhana.
Nah I didn't forget. I never said it wasn't a stand alone practice, it is. All I suggested is that as a drikung it may just be auxiliary cause they got whole cycles. Admittedly I'm not completely certain that why I put probably in case someone needed to correct my error. :smile:

Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Post by Könchok Thrinley » Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:39 pm

Sennin wrote:
True, I mean I am quite surprised that it is practiced separately as for me it is just a preliminary to chakrasamvara. :)

Return to “Kagyu”