"Watch of Night" Practice Authentic?

If you're new to the forum or new to Buddhism, this is the best place for your questions. Responses require moderator approval before they are visible.
Tenma

"Watch of Night" Practice Authentic?

Post by Tenma » Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:49 am

So I stumbled upon the following link:
http://www.wisdom-tree.com/wisdom/guide.html

While I can't quite comment on its accuracy, some of the information seems suspicious. Could anyone please confirm if this is a real practice or not? Very little resources on it from a google search.

PadmaVonSamba

Re: "Watch of Night" Practice Authentic?

Post by PadmaVonSamba » Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:22 pm

It comes off as sounding like some kind of vajrayana practice.
But vajrayana practices are preserved through various lineages, schools, etc.
Usually, there is something like, “this practice was handed down from so and so...”
This basically says just the opposite.
There is no mention of where this teaching comes from, which right there makes me question its authenticity.
Profile Picture: "The Fo Ming (Buddha Bright) Monk"
People on web forums sometime seem to be foaming at the mouth.

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:23 pm

Tenma wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:49 am

While I can't quite comment on its accuracy, some of the information seems suspicious. Could anyone please confirm if this is a real practice or not? Very little resources on it from a google search.
This is just some bullshit some guy made up and posted to the internet.

Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous » Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:18 pm

Tenma wrote:

Yeah, this appears to be total nonsense, I'd stay far away. It's Past-Life Regression with a -very- thin, poorly done Buddhist shell.
"...if you think about how many hours, months and years of your life you've spent looking at things, being fascinated by things that have now passed away, then how wonderful to spend even five minutes looking into the nature of your own mind."

-James Low

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:20 pm

Johnny Dangerous wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:18 pm
Tenma wrote:

Yeah, this appears to be total nonsense, I'd stay far away. It's Past-Life Regression with a -very- thin, poorly done Buddhist shell.
if you run a google search in this guy, J. Denosky, you find many spurious websites.

Tenma

Post by Tenma » Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:30 pm

Thank you, y'all!
That answers things, especially as back in my earlier middle school days, as an occultist with deluded views, I trusted on this website amongst other rubbish. Coming back after some years, I see the fraudity of it.

Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu » Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:46 pm

Tenma wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:30 pm
Thank you, y'all!
That answers things, especially as back in my earlier middle school days, as an occultist with deluded views, I trusted on this website amongst other rubbish. Coming back after some years, I see the fraudity of it.
Wonderful news. This is the advantage of growing older. :twothumbsup:
For the benefit and ease of all sentient beings. :heart:

Tenma

Post by Tenma » Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:33 pm

Ayu wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:46 pm
Tenma wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:30 pm
Thank you, y'all!
Wonderful news. This is the advantage of growing older. :twothumbsup:
Indeed :smile:

avatamsaka3

Post by avatamsaka3 » Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:12 pm

What is a bhairava? Does it actually mean anything?
If the lineages clutch their Yidams like buried treasure, then the novice must go elsewhere.
So there's no precendent in the tradition itself for "direct contact" with a yidam in cases where finding a guru is difficult? I'm just wondering out loud. I have no idea.

Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous » Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:18 pm

dolphin_color wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:12 pm
What is a bhairava? Does it actually mean anything?
If the lineages clutch their Yidams like buried treasure, then the novice must go elsewhere.
So there's no precendent in the tradition itself for "direct contact" with a yidam in cases where finding a guru is difficult? I'm just wondering out loud. I have no idea.
The only examples I know of offhand of someone with -no- human teacher are Dudjom Lingpa and Garab Dorje, very exceptional examples. There are others here and there who receive high teachings from Sambogakaya manifestations.

Not stories that scream "don't bother with a teacher if you're too lazy/misanthropic to do anything but read about Buddhism on the internet". Being facetious here but seriously, they aren't meant to be indications that normal schlubs like us don't need teachers, or shouldn't pursue lineage connections.

Generally it's pretty ridiculous (possibly dangerous, at the least a waste of time) to learn Vajrayana/Dzogchen without a teacher and lineage connection.
"...if you think about how many hours, months and years of your life you've spent looking at things, being fascinated by things that have now passed away, then how wonderful to spend even five minutes looking into the nature of your own mind."

-James Low

avatamsaka3

Post by avatamsaka3 » Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:23 pm

It does say:
Most Yidams are given through initiation... To gain a Yidam, people in lineages should request one.
So what specifically about this is nonsense then?

Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous » Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:06 pm

dolphin_color wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:23 pm
It does say:
Most Yidams are given through initiation... To gain a Yidam, people in lineages should request one.
So what specifically about this is nonsense then?
That part is not nonsense, this person is right in this instance in the manner of a broken clock. The rest of the stuff on the site is completely made up as near as I can tell, including the "instructions" and bears little to no resemblance to any Buddhist teaching I've seen.

-James Low

avatamsaka3

Post by avatamsaka3 » Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:18 pm

OK, if experienced people say it's nonsense, I can believe it. But sometimes investigating nonsense can lead to new insights, I find.

Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu » Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:27 pm

dolphin_color wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:18 pm
OK, if experienced people say it's nonsense, I can believe it. But sometimes investigating nonsense can lead to new insights, I find.
I disagree. Discussing Vajrayana without any practical background can be confusing. But discussing nonsense around Vajrayana must be confusing definitly, I think.

Therefore I'd like to lock this topic now. The question is answered to OP's satisfaction.
For the benefit and ease of all sentient beings. :heart:

Return to “Discovering Mahayana Buddhism”