What are you doing about the coronavirus?

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
Nemo

Re: What are you doing about the coronavirus?

Post by Nemo » Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:58 pm

Simon E. wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:53 pm
There is an outbreak online of people imagining that they have it....not surprisingly. I have had it several times already in my mind.
The phenomenon has been dubbed “cyberchondria”. :smile:
I agree but,....
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21217179

Simon E.

Post by Simon E. » Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:05 pm

Oh I not down playing either the severity or it’s anxiety making propensity.
“You don’t know it. You just know about it. That is not the same thing.”

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche to me.

PeterC

Post by PeterC » Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:46 pm

We’re beyond parody at this stage

https://www.defenseone.com/threats/2020 ... enseOneTCO
The U.S. Air Force quietly flew 500,000 swabs for COVID-19 testing kits from Italy to Memphis, Tennessee, on Monday, Defense One has learned. ...

“This is a great example of how nations are working together to ensure that we’re meeting the global demand,”
Italy, a country that has no particular need of testing materials right now.

Virgo
Former staff member

Post by Virgo » Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:10 pm

KathyLauren wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:16 pm
I had to fly this week. It was only an hour and a half domestic flight, but there were quite few obvious tourists on it. Who knows where they just arrived from? So I am self-isolating for the next couple of weeks.

Everything is cancelled. Restaurants are closed for everything except take-out. Theatres are closed. I was supposed to do lights for a play coming up in June, but it likely will not open. Most people are being sensible about the restrictions.

On mani padme hum
Kathy
At this point I am pretty much completely self-isolated. The only time I go outside is to take a walk. I get in my car and drive to a trail nearby. Some people walk dogs or hike there too, but I keep a distance of 6 feet when I encounter anyone.

Virgo

Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous » Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:45 pm

I actually had a pretty bad cold two weeks ago before the shutdowns began, I stayed home, part of me wonders if I’ve already had it... but it seems unlikely.
"...if you think about how many hours, months and years of your life you've spent looking at things, being fascinated by things that have now passed away, then how wonderful to spend even five minutes looking into the nature of your own mind."

-James Low

PeterC

Post by PeterC » Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:07 pm

Johnny Dangerous wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:45 pm
I actually had a pretty bad cold two weeks ago before the shutdowns began, I stayed home, part of me wonders if I’ve already had it... but it seems unlikely.
Quite possible. A lot of cases are mild/asymptomatic. And after the data we’ve seen this week, we can conclude that prevalence in the US is *way* higher than previously assumed

smcj

Post by smcj » Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:07 pm

MD tests positive with cold symptoms:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/he ... 873342001/
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
2. I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against lama abuse.
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)

Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous » Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:15 pm

smcj wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:07 pm

Man, I'm glad I've been careful around others, it seems more possible that I could have already had it the more I read about it. Still, mine never got worse, I simply had cold-like symptoms, very mild chills, and it went away..minus the sinus infection I always get following colds that requires a few days of neti pot to get rid of.
"...if you think about how many hours, months and years of your life you've spent looking at things, being fascinated by things that have now passed away, then how wonderful to spend even five minutes looking into the nature of your own mind."

-James Low

Virgo
Former staff member

Post by Virgo » Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:21 pm

Johnny Dangerous wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:15 pm
smcj wrote:

Man, I'm glad I've been careful around others, it seems more possible that I could have already had it the more I read about it. Still, mine never got worse, I simply had cold-like symptoms, very mild chills, and it went away..minus the sinus infection I always get following colds that requires a few days of neti pot to get rid of.
It's very possible. Glad yoru ok. :smile:

Virgo

Fortyeightvows

Are there any importers or forwarders on here?

Post by Fortyeightvows » Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:37 pm

Fortyeightvows wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:32 am
Are there any importers or forwarders on here?

How are you doing?

AMZ-FBA people, LA CFS is open for now... I think ONT8 isn't taking anymore deliveries...?

Seriously though, if there are any importers, brokers or forwarders, on here, I'd love to hear a dharmawheelers perspective.
I just wanted to bump my post.

I heard ONE line will waive detention for some people now. hope the other carriers follow the same. This could be big problem for importers who have to close their warehouse.

Alot of the carriers have closed their offices. but I think alot of them are still doing OMBL by courier. The smart thing to do was to start doing seaway bills already. I worry about people who have containers going to usec, right now alot of the carriers are charging like 300-400 rmb to switch to seaway and some of them even charge an additional 40-50 usd on top. This whole virus thing may cost alot of people some money.

LA CFS is shorter hours is shorter hours now, at least I know STG is.
everybody needs to start extending the LFD now. hope so. (I don't say this much, but I think the govt should force them to.)

Just think of how anyone feels if they have stuff in customs exam now. I would probably cry right now.

Really, if there are any importers, brokers or forwarders, on here, I'd love to hear a dharmawheelers perspective, especially if it's a positive one!

Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara » Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:59 pm

Johnny Dangerous wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:15 pm
smcj wrote:

The simplest advice for safe social isolation I've seen is, "Pretend you're infectious and don't want to pass it on."

The simplest symptom comparison I've seen is this.

symptoms.jpg
symptoms.jpg (187.06 KiB) Viewed 656 times

Others are very similar in terms of content but this is very easy to read.

:namaste:
Kim

Nicholas Weeks

Re: What are you doing about the CCP virus?

Post by Nicholas Weeks » Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:05 am

Following all the CDC suggestions, washing hands a lot, staying at home etc. Plus calling the pandemic by the correct name
Last edited by jake on Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed weblink
May all seek, find or follow the Path of Buddhas.

Norwegian

Post by Norwegian » Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:39 am

Nicholas Weeks wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:05 am
Following all the CDC suggestions, washing hands a lot, staying at home etc. Plus calling the pandemic by the correct name:
The correct name for the virus is SARS-CoV-2, and the name for the disease is COVID-19. That's it. These are the established scientific names in use.

Early on, Chinese media referred to it as "Wuhan virus" because there was nothing else to call it, and they referred to it as that. Others did similarly. Then the virus got a name, and the disease got a name, and now we refer to it as that. China are now accusing others of racism for using Wuhan or China in connection to the virus, which may be true, depending on the context. But certainly there's no real reason to refer to it as "The China Virus" since we have an accurate name for the virus in SARS-CoV-2. To say something like how it is Chinese in origin, ought to be fine, but not to use this as an actual name, because that's incorrect, and not very descriptive either.

Moreover, WHO has issued a guideline for how to name diseases, back in 2015. The point is to "minimize unnecessary negative impact of disease names on trade, travel, tourism or animal welfare, and avoid causing offence to any cultural, social, national, regional, professional or ethnic groups."

Which means that names like Marburg virus, Ebola virus, Zaire ebolavirus, Sudan ebolavirus, Hantavirus, Lyme disease, Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease, Spanish flu, Swine flu, Bird flu, and so on are not acceptable ways of naming a disease post-2015. This is why instead of having a virus be named "The Chinese Virus", we name it SARS-CoV-2 (in this case) since it is very similar to the original SARS virus, and just like it, it's a coronavirus, of the Coronaviridae family.

This naming convention is very easy to understand, and the name itself is easy to remember.
Last edited by jake on Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed weblink
"The Guru is the Buddha, the Guru is the Dharma,
The Guru is the Sangha too,
The Guru is Śrī Heruka.
The All-Creating King is the Guru."

-- The Secret Assembly Tantra

Lucas Oliveira

Post by Lucas Oliveira » Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:01 am

Recovery of coronavirus epicenter, China's Wuhan gives hope to rest of world: WHO
https://www.dailysabah.com/world/asia-p ... -world-who

No new cases in Wuhan 'gives the rest of the world hope', says World Health Organization
https://www.thejournal.ie/wuhan-who-hop ... 8-Mar2020/

World gets hope as as China's Wuhan reports no new coronavirus cases: WHO
https://www.newindianexpress.com/world/ ... 19465.html

:namaste:
I participate in this forum using Google Translator. https://translate.google.com.br/

http://www.acessoaoinsight.net/

PeterC

Post by PeterC » Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:58 am

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news ... oronavirus

And the pandumbic rolls on. Between this and the CPAC infections it’s impossible that there aren’t more cases among the White House staff

Norwegian

Post by Norwegian » Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:43 pm

Data from China shows the majority of people with Covid-19 only suffer mild symptoms, then recover
https://edition.cnn.com/2020/03/20/heal ... index.html

Adding to this data laid out in the above article, I should add that Norwegian health professionals have noted that of the old people who get sick and needing intensive care, there are often two or more underlying diseases. And also with the few young people who needs intensive care, there are underlying diseases. And of the two groups, old people with underlying diseases, and young people with underlying diseases, the young people handles the intensive care treatment much better, though this of course seems quite expected.
The Guru is Śrī Heruka.

Simon E.

Post by Simon E. » Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:00 pm

All pubs and restaurants in the U.K. are on lockdown. Our local pub/ restaurant has put all its fresh products that would have been used in its kitchen on sale..veg, cheese, butter etc. Someone has just bought the lot and is taking it to our local hospital as gifts for the staff, who are coming off duty currently and being met with empty supermarket shelves.

It’s lump in throat time..😢
“You don’t know it. You just know about it. That is not the same thing.”

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche to me.

Sādhaka

Post by Sādhaka » Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:22 pm

Right, Norwegian.

Then why are they, including Trump, trying to shut down people’s livelihood so aggressively?

“Conspiracy theorist” as I may be; I do sometimes wonder if the ‘sheople’ need to be herded at times....

What’s going on here though?

Norwegian

Post by Norwegian » Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:30 pm

Sādhaka wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:22 pm
Right, Norwegian.

Then why are they, including Trump, trying to shut down people’s livelihood so aggressively?

“Conspiracy theorist” as I may be; I do sometimes wonder if the ‘sheople’ need to be herded at times....

What’s going on here though?
What's going on? It's about slowing down the infection rate of the population, since hospitals can't take countless people at once. But can better deal with many patients spread over time. That's all this is about. It's very easy to understand, without needing to be a paranoid conspiracy theorist.

Since we do not have a vaccine we know very well we cannot stop people from becoming infected, but we can control the speed with which this happens.

Look at all the hospital workers around the world now who are overworked to the point of exhaustion. We are doing it for them, so that they can better help people. And we are doing it for the elderly and sick, so that they have a better chance at living.
The Guru is Śrī Heruka.

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:46 pm

Sādhaka wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:22 pm
People are dying, and going to die, in large numbers.

Return to “Lounge”