Dharani to develop mental strength

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Konchog Thogme Jampa

Dharani to develop mental strength

Post by Konchog Thogme Jampa »

Hello

Is there any Dharani’s of common Mahayana sutra class that require no transmission that help cultivate mental strength?

It has to be non-tantric that is freely available and open.

Thanks
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Re: Dharani to develop mental strength

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

AJP wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 9:13 pm Hello

Is there any Dharani’s of common Mahayana sutra class that require no transmission that help cultivate mental strength?

Thanks
What do you mena by mental strenght?

If you want something with mental capacity such as thinking etc, there is a plenty of prayers to Manjushri.
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

For those who do virtuous actions,
goodness is what comes to pass.
For those who do non-virtuous actions,
that becomes suffering indeed.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
Konchog Thogme Jampa

Könchok Thrinley wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 10:11 pm

Thanks

Something that increases mental fortitude to contain problems and so forth. Maybe Vajrapani might be good but has to be Sutra and I’m not sure if that one is available in that class of common Mahayana.

Thankyou
明安 Myoan
Former staff member

Post by 明安 Myoan »

Have you browsed Rulu's site? Many of the mantras have associated sutras which are also on the site.
Namu Amida Butsu
Konchog Thogme Jampa

明安 Myoan wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 11:15 pm Have you browsed Rulu's site? Many of the mantras have associated sutras which are also on the site.
Thanks, useful and kind of you!
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

AJP wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 10:33 pm

Thanks

Something that increases mental fortitude to contain problems and so forth. Maybe Vajrapani might be good but has to be Sutra and I’m not sure if that one is available in that class of common Mahayana.

Thankyou
The best way to achieve that is mind training.
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
jmlee369

Post by jmlee369 »

Thanks
Shurangama mantra (aka Sitatapatra dharani) if you can manage it, otherwise the Great Compassion mantra. These are good for any purpose really.
jet.urgyen

Post by jet.urgyen »

Thanks

Something that increases mental fortitude to contain problems and so forth.

Thankyou
why you think you need that?

i mean, maybe you need to outcast some obstacles-makers first. somethimes the problem isn't onself.
true dharma is inexpressible.

The bodhisattva nourishes from bodhicitta, through whatever method the Buddha has given him. Oh joy.
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

I also think that mani mantra could be quite enough, especially when you combine it with developing of loving kindness (you can do that with any mantra really). Why? Because mantra is meant to "protect the mind" over time it gives the strength as afflictive emotions are countered by the practice and purified. Especially if you give rise to love which is the sole source of all good things in this and future lives.

But experience tells me that while one can slowly make a progress through just using mantras etc. The real core of the practice in the end is facing your own afflictions and dealing with that. And that gives us the strength.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
LastLegend

Post by LastLegend »

Thanks
I was in this situation the habit of anxiety and fear. Find a diet that’s free of animals. Recommend buckwheat barley red rice red adzuki beans as 80 percent of diet dairy no sugar no fruit. Japanese potato. Miso paste, peanut butter, and sesame oil. Carrot, onions, ginger, lotus root, watercress, dandelion, strawberry is okay. Fine a practice stick to it. Exercise daily. Don’t consume too much water drink little as thirsty because it will overwork kidneys to filter excessive water when this type of diet has no junks. Works for me personally. Might not for everyone.
It’s eye blinking.
Konchog Thogme Jampa

Könchok Thrinley wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 7:43 am

Thankyou
The best way to achieve that is mind training.
+1

Thank you will adopt this
Konchog Thogme Jampa

Könchok Thrinley wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 3:19 pm I also think that mani mantra could be quite enough, especially when you combine it with developing of loving kindness (you can do that with any mantra really). Why? Because mantra is meant to "protect the mind" over time it gives the strength as afflictive emotions are countered by the practice and purified. Especially if you give rise to love which is the sole source of all good things in this and future lives.

But experience tells me that while one can slowly make a progress through just using mantras etc. The real core of the practice in the end is facing your own afflictions and dealing with that. And that gives us the strength.
Also this
Konchog Thogme Jampa

javier.espinoza.t wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 2:55 pm

Thankyou

i mean, maybe you need to outcast some obstacles-makers first. somethimes the problem isn't onself.
Not for me personally to help someone close to me. Teaching them to overcome the various difficulties that are presenting.
Konchog Thogme Jampa

LastLegend wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 3:27 pm

Thanks

I was in this situation the habit of anxiety and fear. Find a diet that’s free of animals. Recommend buckwheat barley red rice red adzuki beans as 80 percent of diet dairy no sugar no fruit. Japanese potato. Miso paste, peanut butter, and sesame oil. Carrot, onions, ginger, lotus root, watercress, dandelion, strawberry is okay. Fine a practice stick to it. Exercise daily. Don’t consume too much water drink little as thirsty because it will overwork kidneys to filter excessive water when this type of diet has no junks. Works for me personally. Might not for everyone.
Thank you diet is important, very good point
Konchog Thogme Jampa

jmlee369 wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 9:38 am

Thanks
Shurangama mantra (aka Sitatapatra dharani) if you can manage it, otherwise the Great Compassion mantra. These are good for any purpose really.
Thanks thought of that used to recite it years ago
jet.urgyen

Post by jet.urgyen »

AJP wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 6:07 pm

Thankyou

Not for me personally to help someone close to me. Teaching them to overcome the various difficulties that are presenting.
i see. i second the Avalokiteshvara mantra, it is the best really haha.

you can give your friend a little push also, with the same mantra.
true dharma is inexpressible.

The bodhisattva nourishes from bodhicitta, through whatever method the Buddha has given him. Oh joy.
pueraeternus

Post by pueraeternus »

Mahāsthāmaprāpta. In some traditions he is also considered the non-wrathful manifestation of Vajrapāṇi (though in Tibetan Buddhism Vajrapāṇi is usually considered a wrathful manifestation of Vajrasattva)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mahasthamaprapta

Thanks

Thankyou
"Men must want to do things out of their own innermost drives. People, not commercial organizations or chains of command, are what make great civilizations work. Every civilization depends upon the quality of the individuals it produces. If you over-organize humans, over-legalize them, suppress their urge to greatness - they cannot work and their civilization collapses."
- A letter to CHOAM, attributed to the Preacher
Konchog Thogme Jampa

pueraeternus wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 5:50 am Mahāsthāmaprāpta. In some traditions he is also considered the non-wrathful manifestation of Vajrapāṇi (though in Tibetan Buddhism Vajrapāṇi is usually considered a wrathful manifestation of Vajrasattva)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mahasthamaprapta

Thankyou
Thanks
Konchog Thogme Jampa

javier.espinoza.t wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 4:09 am
AJP wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 6:07 pm

i see. i second the Avalokiteshvara mantra, it is the best really haha.

you can give your friend a little push also, with the same mantra.
Thanks Javier!!!
alinhyagha

Post by alinhyagha »

I like the tone of hopeful dignity in this one.

Return to “Mahāyāna Buddhism”