When did meditation become more than just meditation?

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
Epistemes

When did meditation become more than just meditation?

Post by Epistemes »

Ānāpānasati, Vipassanā, Satipatthana, Jhana.

Whatever happened to sitting, breathing, focusing not to much on one's breath but never forgetting the breath nor the room, allowing the thoughts to arise then dissipate?
Cantankerous Buddha
wayland

Re: When did meditation become more than just meditation?

Post by wayland »

Good question. I don't have an answer but perhaps some came to regard this form of meditation as too easy or simplistic?
Huseng
Former staff member

Post by Huseng »

Epistemes wrote:Ānāpānasati, Vipassanā, Satipatthana, Jhana.

Whatever happened to sitting, breathing, focusing not to much on one's breath but never forgetting the breath nor the room, allowing the thoughts to arise then dissipate?
There is a difference between calm abiding and the insight it enables through mental fitness. The said mental fitness can be classified and was classified by the Buddha with the four jhānas. One does not understand the impermanent nature of things entirely without knowing the peaks of existence in the formless realms, which requires jhāna.
Nosta

Post by Nosta »

I never understood exactly what are these jhana states of meditation. They are something like mystic but i dont care because until i dominate Vipassana (the typical "breath and give attention to that"), i cant "jump" to more higher levels.
sangyey

Post by sangyey »

From my understanding satipattana is considered a vipashyana practice. Is this a correct umderstanding?
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

Huseng wrote:
Epistemes wrote:Ānāpānasati, Vipassanā, Satipatthana, Jhana.

There is a difference between calm abiding and the insight it enables through mental fitness. The said mental fitness can be classified and was classified by the Buddha with the four jhānas. One does not understand the impermanent nature of things entirely without knowing the peaks of existence in the formless realms, which requires jhāna.
Dude!

If you could, please clarify - are referring to the form or formless jhanas?

Also have a good retreat.

May all beings benefit.

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”