Lifespans of Different Rinpoches

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Buddhanataka

Lifespans of Different Rinpoches

Post by Buddhanataka »

Dear Fortunate Ones

It is amazing to me how various are the lifespans of different rinpoches.
For example, Buddha himself lived 80 years.
Padmasambhava, according to Nyingma reckonging, lived for well over 1500 years*.
Then, we have Longchen Rabjam, who lived only 56 years!
And Tsongkha, about the same (62 years).
And Mipham, only 66.
How precious are the moments of our lives. Look how much the rinpoches achieved in brief lifespans!

*Or more precisely speaking, Padmasambhava is not known to have entered nirvana at all. He was last seen departing to the Copper Coloured Mountain, and was never known to have dissolved his body or manifested any entry into nirvana. So we might well say that Padma is truly immortal, especially considering that he was never "born" as such, appearing as an 8 year old boy miraculously in the corolla of a lotus flower. This is amazing that his lifespan is so long compared with Longchenpa, the next most celebrated rinpoche of them all (by Nyingmapas), who by every account lived a mere 56 years.
Astonishing!
Last edited by Buddhanataka on Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ngawang Drolma
Founding Member

Re: Lifespans of Different Rinpoches

Post by Ngawang Drolma »

We are so very fortunate for kind teachers!

:namaste:
Buddhanataka

Post by Buddhanataka »

We certainly are, my friend!

I personally follow these 5 most closely:

1. Padmasambhava
2. Rongzom Choskyi Zangpo the Great
3. Longchen Rabjampa
4. "Ju" Mipham Rinpoche
5. Dudjom Rinpoche

Everyone should revere and study the written instructions of these great enlightened Tul-kus
Josef

Post by Josef »

Buddhanataka wrote:Dear Fortunate Ones

It is amazing to me how various are the lifespans of different rinpoches.
For example, Buddha himself lived 80 years.
Padmasambhava, according to Nyingma reckonging, lived for well over 1500 years*.
Then, we have Longchen Rabjam, who lived only 56 years!
And Tsongkha, about the same (62 years).
And Mipham, only 66.
How precious are the moments of our lives. Look how much the rinpoches achieved in brief lifespans!

*Or more precisely speaking, Padmasambhava is not known to have entered nirvana at all. He was last seen departing to the Copper Coloured Mountain, and was never known to have dissolved his body or manifested any entry into nirvana. So we might well say that Padma is truly immortal, especially considering that he was never "born" as such, appearing as an 8 year old boy miraculously in the corolla of a lotus flower. This is amazing that his lifespan is so long compared with Longchenpa, the next most celebrated rinpoche of them all (by Nyingmapas), who by every account lived a mere 56 years.
Astonishing!
The Himalayan diet is terrible for ones health. If you ask me this is why so many of these lineage masters died at such young ages.
I for one think the birth story of Guru Rinpoche is parable. I think he was born from a vagina.
"All phenomena of samsara depend on the mind, so when the essence of mind is purified, samsara is purified. Since the phenomena of nirvana depend on the pristine consciousness of vidyā, because one remains in the immediacy of vidyā, buddhahood arises on its own. All critical points are summarized with those two." - Longchenpa

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”