Amituofo!

Introduce yourself to others at Dharma Wheel.
Post Reply
User avatar
joaquinj
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:41 am
Location: Seattle, WA

Amituofo!

Post by joaquinj » Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:02 am

Hello everyone, I am new to these boards. I used to be a member of e-sangha (but only as a lurker, I hardly ever posted) and kinda found these boards by accident. It is really great that there is a popular (as in at least one new post a day) forum still out there and working for different Buddhist practitioners to get together.

As for me, I am a practicing Buddhist of about a year. I mostly follow Pureland and Ch'an in my practice, but I really am open to a variety of practices. I am also very interested in studying the Lotus Sutra and schools that focus on it, as I feel it is a very rich sutra that has a lot to offer to everybody.

Anyway it is good to meet you all! :namaste:

User avatar
Indrajala
Posts: 6316
Joined: Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:19 pm
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

Re: Amituofo!

Post by Indrajala » Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:00 am

Amituofo! :buddha1:
tad etat sarvajñānaṃ karuṇāmūlaṃ bodhicittahetukam upāyaparyavasānam iti |
Flower Ornament Depository (Blog) Exploring Classical Chinese (Blog) Dharma Depository (Site)

User avatar
Virgo
Global Moderator
Posts: 2319
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:47 am
Location: Globe

Re: Amituofo!

Post by Virgo » Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:48 pm

Welcome!
:namaste:
Amituofo!

Kevin

Ngawang Drolma
Founding Member
Posts: 2230
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:44 pm

Re: Amituofo!

Post by Ngawang Drolma » Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:46 pm

Welcome to Dharma Wheel! We're glad to have you :)

Kindly,
Laura

User avatar
retrofuturist
Former staff member
Posts: 1244
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:54 pm
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Re: Amituofo!

Post by retrofuturist » Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:11 pm

Greetings,

Welcome to Dharma Wheel!

:buddha2:

(and feel free here to post as well as lurk!)

Metta,
Retro. :)
Live in concord, with mutual appreciation, without disputing, blending like milk and water, viewing each other with kindly eyes.

User avatar
joaquinj
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:41 am
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: Amituofo!

Post by joaquinj » Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:20 am

Thanks for the warm welcome, everybody. :group:

User avatar
DNS
Site Admin
Posts: 2876
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:23 pm
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
Contact:

Re: Amituofo!

Post by DNS » Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:49 am

:hi:

Welcome to Dharma Wheel!

User avatar
Huifeng
Posts: 1476
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:51 am

Re: Amituofo!

Post by Huifeng » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:47 pm

joaquinj wrote:Hello everyone, I am new to these boards. I used to be a member of e-sangha (but only as a lurker, I hardly ever posted) and kinda found these boards by accident. It is really great that there is a popular (as in at least one new post a day) forum still out there and working for different Buddhist practitioners to get together.

As for me, I am a practicing Buddhist of about a year. I mostly follow Pureland and Ch'an in my practice, but I really am open to a variety of practices. I am also very interested in studying the Lotus Sutra and schools that focus on it, as I feel it is a very rich sutra that has a lot to offer to everybody.

Anyway it is good to meet you all! :namaste:
Hi!

Interesting to hear of Pureland / Chan practitioners in the West. My I inquire as to your teacher, or with which group you practice? I know of a great teacher in the greater Seattle area, though he lives a rather hermit-ish lifestyle, and his health is not so great.

User avatar
joaquinj
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:41 am
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: Amituofo!

Post by joaquinj » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:11 am

Huifeng wrote: Hi!

Interesting to hear of Pureland / Chan practitioners in the West. My I inquire as to your teacher, or with which group you practice? I know of a great teacher in the greater Seattle area, though he lives a rather hermit-ish lifestyle, and his health is not so great.
I practice at Gold Summit monastery (branch temple of CTTB), the resident teacher there is Ven. Heng Syun. I am a big fan of her teaching style, it is very dynamic and with a liberal dose of humor thrown in as well. :) It is also always nice having bi and sometimes even tri-lingual lectures (Chinese/Vietnamese/English) and having services that are in English or Chinese, not just always one or the other.

User avatar
Huifeng
Posts: 1476
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:51 am

Re: Amituofo!

Post by Huifeng » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:19 am

joaquinj wrote:
Huifeng wrote: Hi!

Interesting to hear of Pureland / Chan practitioners in the West. My I inquire as to your teacher, or with which group you practice? I know of a great teacher in the greater Seattle area, though he lives a rather hermit-ish lifestyle, and his health is not so great.
I practice at Gold Summit monastery (branch temple of CTTB), the resident teacher there is Ven. Heng Syun. I am a big fan of her teaching style, it is very dynamic and with a liberal dose of humor thrown in as well. :) It is also always nice having bi and sometimes even tri-lingual lectures (Chinese/Vietnamese/English) and having services that are in English or Chinese, not just always one or the other.
Thanks! I should have guessed it would be part of CTTB.

There is another CTTB associated teacher in Seattle, Ven Heng Shou (aka: Dharmamitra). He was one of Ven Master Hua's first five american disciples. He is probably difficult to track down, and spends most of the time he can on some very high quality translations.

User avatar
joaquinj
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:41 am
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: Amituofo!

Post by joaquinj » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:49 am

Ven. Huifeng,

Thanks for the information. I have heard of these translations before, they look very interesting, and mostly works that I haven't read before. Didn't know that this translator was based in Seattle though! Interesting.

Thanks!

User avatar
Ogyen
Posts: 432
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:36 pm
Contact:

Re: Amituofo!

Post by Ogyen » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:50 am

:namaste:
Welcome to Dharma Wheel. May your time here be of benefit to everyone here!

:heart:
Ogyen.
Image Made from 100% recycled karma

The Heart Drive Word Press
Mud to Lotus

"To love. To be loved. To never forget your own insignificance. To never get used to the unspeakable violence and the vulgar disparity of life around you. To seek joy in the saddest places. To pursue beauty to its lair. To never simplify what is complicated or complicate what is simple. To respect strength, never power. Above all, to watch. To try and understand. To never look away. And never, never, to forget." –Arundhati Roy

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 19 guests