Lone Buddhist

Introduce yourself to others at Dharma Wheel.
ga_green

Lone Buddhist

Post by ga_green »

Greetings all! I have studied Buddhism for a number of years and have finally come to the realization this is the spiritual path/discipline that speaks to me the most; I have no doubt it's time to fully commit to practice. (I'm 35 and not getting any younger) I just have one problem, which I'm hoping others here can relate and share their experiences and/or suggestions: I live in a fairly rural area of the country (southern Georgia), and the closest Buddhist or meditation center in no less than a two-hour drive. Needless to say, this area is predominantly comprised of conservative Christian communities, which is the faith in which I was raised. I am hoping to connect with others who might share my situation and, perhaps, even find someone willing to be a teacher/mentor (even if it is just through the strokes of a keyboard). I sincerely look forward to hearing from others and being a part of this forum.
rose
Site Admin

Re: Lone Buddhist

Post by rose »

Hi ga_green, :smile:

Welcome to Dharma Wheel.

Regards,
MrDistracted

Post by MrDistracted »

Hi

I'm not sure which tradition you feel drawn to but you mentioned learning online and these two came to mind:

http://www.bodhicharya.org/bodhicharya-online-shedra/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.namdrolingmt.org/index.php/C ... tails.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Both offer indepth teachings on Shantideva's Bodhicaryavatara.

Wishing you all the best!

Oh...and as it's Lhabab Duchen today, it's an auspicious day for you to be joining Dharmawheel :-)
ga_green

Post by ga_green »

Thank you very much for the links. I am definitely drawn to Tibetan Buddhism, and will take a good look at the lessons.
Dechen Norbu

Post by Dechen Norbu »

I'm sure you'll find others in similar situation around here. Let not that be a problem. :smile:
Thug4lyfe

Post by Thug4lyfe »

HOw come all the cool kids are joining those Tibetan homeboys? Why no love for the Chop Suey makers? :( :(
Tilopa

Post by Tilopa »

These might be of interest:

http://onlinelearning.fpmt.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.buddhistthought.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

:hi:

Welcome to Dharma Wheel!

:buddha1:
ga_green

Post by ga_green »

Thank you all for the warm welcomes and teaching suggestions. Tilopa, I was familiar with FPMT, but didn't realize how extensive their web site and learning opportunities were....thank you.
catmoon
Former staff member

Post by catmoon »

BTW the Samye Ling site also offers extensive online courses. And it's not as costly, I think their standard fee is $75 a year. One outfit is Gelug, the other is Kagyu.
Sergeant Schultz knew everything there was to know.
Kyosan

Post by Kyosan »

There is a "ASK A TEACHER" section at Zen Forum International. I'm not trying to push you in the direction of Zen but this is something I'm aware of and thought might be helpful. Here is a link to the section

http://www.zenforuminternational.org/vi ... 8f433de811" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
:namaste:
ga_green

Post by ga_green »

Kyosan, thank you for the link. I am by no means partial to any particular school at this time, but I am intrigued most by Zen and Tibetan Buddhism. As a lay person with limited resources, I guess I really don't have a firm understanding about the differences between the two. This is just one reason, of many, I am hoping to reach out and get some feedback. Thank you.
do_not_zzz

Post by do_not_zzz »

Ga_Green,

Namaste, welcome to Dharma Wheel. I can completely relate to your not being close to a meditation or dharma center. There are a couple groups located near me, but transport always seems to be an issue seeing as that they are JUST far enough that you can't walk/bike to them. Hope you find enjoy your visits here at DW!

-dnz _/|\_
poyntersteve

Post by poyntersteve »

Greetings. I also live in a rural area- in the Ozark Mountains of Arkansas- and I've found that if you have a desire to locate your Sangha (Community), you will find it. Look for people who are of like mind, and then things will grow from there. I also was raised in a Christian home, which gave me a good foundation for understanding what makes sense and what does not make sense (Think with your heart and not your head). You're on your path, and you know what is best for yourself and the world. Keep it simple- Like John Lennon, Jesus, HH Dalai Lama, and Siddhartha said, "All you need is love." Be as generous as possible with all others and show compassion to even your enemies- Your enemy could have been your mama in a past life. Good luck, and keep on truckin.
Thupten Wodzer :namaste:
Ogyen

Post by Ogyen »

Welcome to Dharma Wheel! I have a similar situation with my sangha being over an hour drive (and no reliable transportation to get there... it seriously might as well be 6 hours away...)

Half my heart-sangha is connected thru the virtual world. You will find connections that speak to you as you meet more Buddhists, online and offline.

xoxo
Image Made from 100% recycled karma

The Heart Drive - nosce te ipsum

"To love. To be loved. To never forget your own insignificance. To never get used to the unspeakable violence and the vulgar disparity of life around you. To seek joy in the saddest places. To pursue beauty to its lair. To never simplify what is complicated or complicate what is simple. To respect strength, never power. Above all, to watch. To try and understand. To never look away. And never, never, to forget." –Arundhati Roy
Qian Zheng Yi

Post by Qian Zheng Yi »

:hi:

Return to “Introductions”