Dharma Functions

Forum for discussion of East Asian Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Thug4lyfe

Dharma Functions

Post by Thug4lyfe »

Just wondering if anyone is attending regular Dharma Functions on here? If yes, whats your experience like?
PadmaVonSamba

Re: Dharma Functions

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

can you be more specific?
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook produces outward insight.
Thug4lyfe

Post by Thug4lyfe »

Oops sorry, just remembered this thread! I meant in Dharma function as ceremonial occassions where disciples gathers in the temple with the Monastic venerables to chant sutras, make praises to the Buddhas and bodhisattvas and hear teachings from the Abbot/Abbess.

Just wondering if other folks get up to this on here?
neverdowell

Post by neverdowell »

Food_Eatah wrote:I meant in Dharma function as ceremonial occassions where disciples gathers in the temple with the Monastic venerables to chant sutras, make praises to the Buddhas and bodhisattvas and hear teachings from the Abbot/Abbess.
I used to go to the weekly service at Fo Guang Shan. This involved reciting the Heart Sutra, chanting Namo Amituofo while walking in a group, a prayer, praising the Triple Gem, and a couple other things. It was good, and I'd go more often if I didn't live so far from the temple.

To develop bodhichitta, which is the actual practice, you need to develop such compassion that you simply cannot bear others being tormented by suffering. But in order to develop this compassion, you must know exactly how you yourself are plagued by suffering. And you must understand that the whole of samsara is by nature suffering. But first you must fear the lower realms, for without this you will have no repudiation of celestial and human happiness. You must therefore train your mind in the small- and medium- scope parts of the path. -- Pabongka Rinpoche
Thug4lyfe

Post by Thug4lyfe »

neverdowell wrote:
Food_Eatah wrote:I meant in Dharma function as ceremonial occassions where disciples gathers in the temple with the Monastic venerables to chant sutras, make praises to the Buddhas and bodhisattvas and hear teachings from the Abbot/Abbess.
I used to go to the weekly service at Fo Guang Shan. This involved reciting the Heart Sutra, chanting Namo Amituofo while walking in a group, a prayer, praising the Triple Gem, and a couple other things. It was good, and I'd go more often if I didn't live so far from the temple.
Gutz brah, I guess we are fortunate that New Zealand is pretty small place, so the local Fo Guang Shan can't be in the wop wops :p

Do guys have English Dharma function down there or all in Chinese?
neverdowell

Post by neverdowell »

Food_Eatah wrote: Do guys have English Dharma function down there or all in Chinese?
Both English and Chinese services. :) You should ask your temple for service times.

To develop bodhichitta, which is the actual practice, you need to develop such compassion that you simply cannot bear others being tormented by suffering. But in order to develop this compassion, you must know exactly how you yourself are plagued by suffering. And you must understand that the whole of samsara is by nature suffering. But first you must fear the lower realms, for without this you will have no repudiation of celestial and human happiness. You must therefore train your mind in the small- and medium- scope parts of the path. -- Pabongka Rinpoche
Thug4lyfe

Post by Thug4lyfe »

neverdowell wrote:
Food_Eatah wrote: Do guys have English Dharma function down there or all in Chinese?
Both English and Chinese services. :) You should ask your temple for service times.
I am there all the time! Do you goto English or Chinese functions? Even though Chinese sutras are mean, would really love to be able to chant in English!
neverdowell

Post by neverdowell »

Food_Eatah wrote:Do you goto English or Chinese functions?
The Sunday morning service is about half in English, half in Chinese, which includes what I mentioned above.

There is also an afternoon service (also on Sunday) which consists of Pure Land Sutras recitation which is only done in Chinese as far as I know.

I usually go to both.

Return to “East Asian Buddhism”