i'm looking for...

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Zenshin 善心

i'm looking for...

Post by Zenshin 善心 »

greetings peeps, long time no see. hope your all fine and dandy. myself, i just moved to Japan three months ago and am now half an hour's train ride away from Shogyoji Temple and my master's master :)

i'm looking for a bit of help book wise and thought here would be a good place to enquire. two things i'm looking for - a good introduction to Tibetan Buddhism, not too light but not too heavy, covering the different schools and practices (but not in a "how to" manner). second - a comparison of the different Mahayana schools, similarities and differences, including Jodo if possible. and there's a caveat - preferrably available on kindle. cheers.
All beings since their first aspiration till the attainment of Buddhahood are sheltered under the guardianship of Buddhas and Bodhisattvas who, responding to the requirements of the occasion, transform themselves and assume the actual forms of personality.

Thus for the sake of all beings Buddhas and Bodhisattvas become sometimes their parents, sometimes their wives and children, sometimes their kinsmen, sometimes their servants, sometimes their friends, sometimes their enemies, sometimes reveal themselves as devas or in some other forms.

- Ashvaghosa, The Awakening of Faith

oroka
Mr. G

Re: i'm looking for...

Post by Mr. G »

dumbbombu wrote:greetings peeps, long time no see. hope your all fine and dandy. myself, i just moved to Japan three months ago and am now half an hour's train ride away from Shogyoji Temple and my master's master :)
I'm very jealous. Japan is the next place I'd like to take a vacation.
two things i'm looking for - a good introduction to Tibetan Buddhism, not too light but not too heavy, covering the different schools and practices (but not in a "how to" manner).
"Introduction to Tibetan Buddhism" by John Powers (on kindle)
Chapter 7 of "Buddhist Thought: A Complete Introduction to the Indian Tradition" by Paul Williams/Anthony Tribe (on kindle)
The Crystal and the Way of Light: Sutra, Tantra and Dzogchen by Chogyal Namkhai Norbu (on kindle)
second - a comparison of the different Mahayana schools, similarities and differences, including Jodo if possible. and there's a caveat - preferrably available on kindle.
"Mahayana Buddhism: The Doctrinal Foundations" by Paul Williams (on kindle)

For 2 good books discussing the differences in Pure Land traditions:

"The Pure Land Tradition: History and Development (Berkeley Buddhist Studies)" - James Harlan Foard (Author, Editor), Michael Solomon (Editor), Richard K. Payne (Editor)
"Shinran's Gospel of Pure Grace" by Alfred Bloom
  • How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu
Mr. G

Post by Mr. G »

In return, you need to post pics of Yugyo-ji Temple :smile:
  • How foolish you are,
    - Vasubandhu
Zenshin 善心

Post by Zenshin 善心 »

thanks Mr G, I'll check out "The Crystal and the Way of Light". i read William's "Mahayana Buddhism: The Doctrinal Foundations" a year or two back and while i enjoyed the overview of the different traditions it doesn't really fit the comparative approach i'm after from what i remember.
In return, you need to post pics of Yugyo-ji Temple
will Komyozenji and Sofukuji do for the time being? -

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sweepingle ... 669298406/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sweepingle ... 173594515/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
All beings since their first aspiration till the attainment of Buddhahood are sheltered under the guardianship of Buddhas and Bodhisattvas who, responding to the requirements of the occasion, transform themselves and assume the actual forms of personality.

Thus for the sake of all beings Buddhas and Bodhisattvas become sometimes their parents, sometimes their wives and children, sometimes their kinsmen, sometimes their servants, sometimes their friends, sometimes their enemies, sometimes reveal themselves as devas or in some other forms.

- Ashvaghosa, The Awakening of Faith

oroka
Mr. G

Post by Mr. G »

dumbbombu wrote:i read William's "Mahayana Buddhism: The Doctrinal Foundations" a year or two back and while i enjoyed the overview of the different traditions it doesn't really fit the comparative approach i'm after from what i remember.
I think I understand what you're looking for. Perhaps "Vision of Buddhism: The Space Under the Tree" by Professor Roger Corless (kindle) would be useful. He passed away a couple of years ago and was a former Jodo Shinshu practitioner. Very broad book covering Theravada, Zen, Pure Land and Vajrayana. His take on Dzogchen is wrong from what others have advised me, but overall a very fun and good book.
will Komyozenji and Sofukuji do for the time being? -

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sweepingle ... 669298406/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sweepingle ... 173594515/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Beautiful! Thanks!
  • How foolish you are,
    - Vasubandhu

Return to “Mahāyāna Buddhism”