Altar Offerings

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
Dave The Seeker

Altar Offerings

Post by Dave The Seeker »

On the altar I have, there is a statue of Buddha, 7 water bowls, 2 candles, a plant and a singing bowl.
I would like to add a food offering. But I have 3 cats and think they would be on the altar eating anything I offer there. Their not picky eaters to say the least.
Would it be proper for me to make the food offering before I eat and remove it after I'm done?
I know if I leave it the cats will go for it. They leave the water in the bowls alone, but food I believe would be too great a temptation for them to resist.

Kindest wishes, Dave
Everyday problems teach us to have a realistic attitude.
They teach us that life is what life is; flawed.
Yet with tremendous potential for joy and fulfillment.
~Lama Surya Das~

If your path teaches you to act and exert yourself correctly and leads to spiritual realizations such as love, compassion and wisdom then obviously it's worthwhile.
~Lama Thubten Yeshe~

One whose mind is freed does not argue with anyone, he does not dispute with anyone. He makes use of the conventional terms of the world without clinging to them
~The Buddha~
Mr. G

Re: Altar Offerings

Post by Mr. G »

The water bowls by themselves are fine unless you're looking for something tradition specific.
  • How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu
deff

Post by deff »

also, a lot of it is based on intention - as of course the buddhas don't actually take the food (or need it for that matter)

so you can also benefit from visualizing offerings, and this has the benefit that you are able to make this much more elaborate - like vast, vast clouds of precious offerings to the buddhas in all ten directions, etc - if you do this while strongly rejoicing then i think this is very beneficial (and much more so than placing food on an altar in a habitual fashion without the strong intention behind it)

though that's not to say the symbolic offerings like food on an altar are meaningless, just that your motivation is what really counts imo
Dave The Seeker

Post by Dave The Seeker »

Thank you both :namaste:

I will do my best to visualize, and in doing so I will have more intent, as you stated than acting in a "habit"

Kindest wishes, Dave
Everyday problems teach us to have a realistic attitude.
They teach us that life is what life is; flawed.
Yet with tremendous potential for joy and fulfillment.
~Lama Surya Das~

If your path teaches you to act and exert yourself correctly and leads to spiritual realizations such as love, compassion and wisdom then obviously it's worthwhile.
~Lama Thubten Yeshe~

One whose mind is freed does not argue with anyone, he does not dispute with anyone. He makes use of the conventional terms of the world without clinging to them
~The Buddha~
catmoon
Former staff member

Post by catmoon »

Offer food the cats won't eat.
Sergeant Schultz knew everything there was to know.
nirmal

Post by nirmal »

Food wrapped uo in plastic cones could be safe on the altar
Attachments
01012007(003).jpg
01012007(003).jpg (94.13 KiB) Viewed 1496 times
01012007(002).jpg
01012007(002).jpg (86.37 KiB) Viewed 1495 times
01012007(001).jpg
01012007(001).jpg (88.08 KiB) Viewed 1496 times

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”