Learning more about Buddhism

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
Dave The Seeker

Learning more about Buddhism

Post by Dave The Seeker »

I have a Zen temple that is about an hour and a half away.
Not really a place I can get to on a regular basis.
There are also a few others in other directions, all about the same distance away.
I'm trying to learn as much as I can about the practices of Buddhism and practice them properly.
I have books and this site as well as the all expansive net. But without a teacher, I feel I'll be missing some important "details".
Has anyone any ideas on how to proceed in the proper training, other than traveling these distances on a regular basis?

Kind wishes, The Seeker
Everyday problems teach us to have a realistic attitude.
They teach us that life is what life is; flawed.
Yet with tremendous potential for joy and fulfillment.
~Lama Surya Das~

If your path teaches you to act and exert yourself correctly and leads to spiritual realizations such as love, compassion and wisdom then obviously it's worthwhile.
~Lama Thubten Yeshe~

One whose mind is freed does not argue with anyone, he does not dispute with anyone. He makes use of the conventional terms of the world without clinging to them
~The Buddha~
DGA
Former staff member

Re: Learning more about Buddhism

Post by DGA »

The trick is to travel infrequently to get the teachings and instructions, practice and study at home, and check in occasionally in person or by phone or email if possible on a regular basis.

90 minutes away from a temple is a good distance in the opinion of many. You're close enough to keep the connection open and to show up for events and teachings &c, but far enough for it to remain special.
Thomas Amundsen

Post by Thomas Amundsen »

The Seeker wrote:I have a Zen temple that is about an hour and a half away.
Not really a place I can get to on a regular basis.
There are also a few others in other directions, all about the same distance away.
I'm trying to learn as much as I can about the practices of Buddhism and practice them properly.
I have books and this site as well as the all expansive net. But without a teacher, I feel I'll be missing some important "details".
Has anyone any ideas on how to proceed in the proper training, other than traveling these distances on a regular basis?

Kind wishes, The Seeker
A previous Zen teacher of mine told me the ideal practice is once a week with the sangha and once a day alone. Driving 90 minutes to the dharma center once a week is reasonable. Or at least it will be once you cultivate some of that Zen discipline. :thumbsup:
Dave The Seeker

Thank you for the reply.
I would love to be able to attend once a week, there is no doubt there.
But with the price of gas, and a limited income, this is just not an option to me right now.

Kindest wishes
~Lama Surya Das~

If your path teaches you to act and exert yourself correctly and leads to spiritual realizations such as love, compassion and wisdom then obviously it's worthwhile.
~Lama Thubten Yeshe~

One whose mind is freed does not argue with anyone, he does not dispute with anyone. He makes use of the conventional terms of the world without clinging to them
~The Buddha~
Madeliaette
Location: Currently in Sussex, England. Formerly in Wollongong, Australia.

Post by Madeliaette »

If you have an inclination towards a specific teacher/lineage, you might be able to address them directly - several teachers give online teachings/personal email.
DeepFriedFunk

Post by DeepFriedFunk »

I am in the same boat. What I have learned so far is helping in everyday life. But it seems muddled... not in the right order. A bit here and a bit there. I also have a habit of going off on tangents in my research and ending up not even remembering what I was first trying to look for.

I am desperately looking for knowledge from the Sangha to help guide me in Buddhism as i am very new to it. Despite that fact, I know in my heart this is the correct way to conduct my life and what ever I learn as long as I practice compassion I am on the right path.
Dave The Seeker

DeepFriedFunk wrote:I am in the same boat. What I have learned so far is helping in everyday life. But it seems muddled... not in the right order. A bit here and a bit there. I also have a habit of going off on tangents in my research and ending up not even remembering what I was first trying to look for.

I am desperately looking for knowledge from the Sangha to help guide me in Buddhism as i am very new to it. Despite that fact, I know in my heart this is the correct way to conduct my life and what ever I learn as long as I practice compassion I am on the right path.
As to you going off on tangents, well me too my friend.
It's part of being people like us. But that's not a bad thing, learn to slow down and take it all in.
Everything comes in time, I'm also not the most patient person, but I am learning.

Stick around here and ask questions you'll be helped out immensely!!!!

Kindest wishes, Dave
~Lama Surya Das~

~Lama Thubten Yeshe~

~The Buddha~

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”