Illusory body /rainbow body after death and rebirth

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Acid_Trancer

Illusory body /rainbow body after death and rebirth

Post by Acid_Trancer »

Hi
I hope someone can asnwer this question.

It is said that after one attains the illusory or rainbow body, that a person becomes deathless because the mind never seperates from the body anymore.
But because of the bodhsittva vow one has to stay in samsara either in the higher realms or comes back to this world again.

Does an enlightened master has to take rebirth in the higher god realms or in the human realms to fullfill his vows or can he be everywhere there without rebirth by staying simply in his illusory body ?

And if he takes rebirth in the human realm or deva realm, what happens to the illusory body, does he loses it and has to attain it again in the next life?

Thanks in advance for your answers!
heart

Re: Illusory body /rainbow body after death and rebirth

Post by heart »

Illusory body is not the same thing as rainbow body. The first is method and the second is a result of the practice of Dzogchen. People who attain rainbow body don't take rebirth anymore. They continue to benefit beings as they are, for example Guru Rinpoche and Vimalamitra.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
Adamantine
Former staff member

Post by Adamantine »

Yeah but in Nyingma we have all these tulkus like
Anam Thubten whose prior incarnations took rainbow-body..
I suppose either they are considered purely emanations not rebirths?
Any thoughts?
Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha
heart

Post by heart »

I have no idea. :smile: But if you have a rainbow body rebirth just doesn't make any sense.

/magnus
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
Adamantine
Former staff member

Post by Adamantine »

At that level of accomplishment I'd think one would
be far beyond "making sense" :smile:
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

heart wrote:I have no idea. :smile: But if you have a rainbow body rebirth just doesn't make any sense.

/magnus

Khyentse Wangpo managed it. Guess this begs the question -- when is rebirth not rebirth?
heart

Post by heart »

Namdrol wrote:
heart wrote:I have no idea. :smile: But if you have a rainbow body rebirth just doesn't make any sense.

/magnus

Khyentse Wangpo managed it. Guess this begs the question -- when is rebirth not rebirth?
Since he was Chetsun Senge Wangchuk in an earlier life?

/magnus
~Kurt Vonnegut

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

heart wrote:
Namdrol wrote:

/magnus

Since he was Chetsun Senge Wangchuk in an earlier life?

/magnus

indeed.
pemachophel

Post by pemachophel »

As far as I understand, if one achieves Rainbow Body, one can have limitless manifestations throughout space and time. Therefore, there is no limit to the number of Nirmanakayas/Tulkus one can manifest in order to work for the welfare of all sentient beings. To think otherwise in terms of Rainbow Body is to fall into the extreme of nihilism.
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

Adamantine wrote:Yeah but in Nyingma we have all these tulkus like
Anam Thubten whose prior incarnations took rainbow-body..
I suppose either they are considered purely emanations not rebirths?
Any thoughts?
Are you referring to Anam Thubten of Richmond, CA? I'm curious, who is considered to be his previous incarnation?
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
Adamantine
Former staff member

Post by Adamantine »

My understanding is he is the emanation of one of the disciples of Dudjom Lingpa who attained rainbow body. It seems he has eliminated reference to this from any website associated with him, I think he prefers to be humble and not broadcast these things.
Yudron

Post by Yudron »

Adamantine wrote:My understanding is he is the emanation of one of the disciples of Dudjom Lingpa who attained rainbow body. It seems he has eliminated reference to this from any website associated with him, I think he prefers to be humble and not broadcast these things.
This is true. It was a disciple of Dudjom Lingpa's -- Anam Lama.
deepbluehum

Post by deepbluehum »

A rainbow body can manifest in limitless ways.
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

Yudron wrote: This is true. It was a disciple of Dudjom Lingpa's -- Anam Lama.
Thanks, you are correct. I found this:
http://www.ksbcenter.org/Pages/Tulku.htm
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

Yudron wrote:
Adamantine wrote:My understanding is he is the emanation of one of the disciples of Dudjom Lingpa who attained rainbow body. It seems he has eliminated reference to this from any website associated with him, I think he prefers to be humble and not broadcast these things.
I found references to Anam Wangchen in "A Clear Mirror: The Visionary Autobiography of a Tibetan Master" by Dudjom Lingpa

http://books.google.com/books?id=9f_usAen69oC&q=anam

Is this who you are referring to?
Yudron

Post by Yudron »

dzogchungpa wrote:
Yudron wrote:
I found references to Anam Wangchen in "A Clear Mirror: The Visionary Autobiography of a Tibetan Master" by Dudjom Lingpa

http://books.google.com/books?id=9f_usAen69oC&q=anam

Is this who you are referring to?
Presumably. I think Anam Thubten's old bio, back when he was Tulku Thubten Rinpoche, referred to his prior incarnation as Anam Lama. But Wangchen--Great Power Anam--sounds good, too. You know, Dudjom RInpoche was an incarnation of Guru RInpoche, Yeshe Tsogyal, and Kheuchung Lotsawa--so these things happen.
greentara

Post by greentara »

In Thailand Ajaan Panya’s remains were cremated at Baan Taad Forest Monastery. "His funeral ceremony was the largest event ever held there—an estimated 50,000 people attended to pay their final respects, including over 4,000 monks. Something extraordinary occurred on the day of his cremation. The sky was clear and cloudless. Yet, on 3 separate occasions, a circular rainbow appeared in the clear blue sky, each time encircling the sun like a large, luminous halo. The rainbow first appeared as his casket was being placed on the funeral pyre; it appeared again later when his life story was being read aloud; and yet a third time when Ajaan Mahā Boowa lit the funeral pyre. It was as though the power of his spiritual attainment had created an external, visual image to reflect the depth and subtly of his virtue for all to see"
A miraculous event also took place when Ramana Maharshi passed. At that moment a shooting star, vividly luminous moved slowly across the sky. This was witnessed by many thousands of people in various parts of India.
It appears that when an enlightened being passes there can be unusual, even extraordinary phenomena that manifests for all to see.
Jangchup Donden

Post by Jangchup Donden »

Malcolm wrote:

/magnus

When it's emanation.

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”