Blue Tārā

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
Distorted

Blue Tārā

Post by Distorted »

Does anyone know why Blue Tārā is associated with transmutation of anger? Any input or if I can be pointed in a direction in which I can read on this I would greatly appreciate.

"Sona, before you became a monk you were a musician". Sona said that was true. So the Buddha said, "As a musician which string of the lute produces a pleasant and harmonious sound. The over-tight string?" "No," said Sona, "The over-tight string produces an unpleasant sound and is moreover likely to break at any moment." "The string that is too loose?" Again, "No, the string that is too loose does not produce a tuneful sound. The string that produces a tuneful sound is the string that is not too tight and not too loose."
Konchog1

Re: Blue Tārā

Post by Konchog1 »

She's from the Vajra family. Blue means that she's wrathful which involves turning anger into wisdom, forcefully dealing with obstacles and so forth.

http://www.himalayanart.org/pages/deity ... index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Equanimity is the ground. Love is the moisture. Compassion is the seed. Bodhicitta is the result.

-Paraphrase of Khensur Rinpoche Lobsang Tsephel citing the Guhyasamaja Tantra

"All memories and thoughts are the union of emptiness and knowing, the Mind.
Without attachment, self-liberating, like a snake in a knot.
Through the qualities of meditating in that way,
Mental obscurations are purified and the dharmakaya is attained."

-Ra Lotsawa, All-pervading Melodious Drumbeats
Distorted

Post by Distorted »

Konchog1 wrote:She's from the Vajra family. Blue means that she's wrathful which involves turning anger into wisdom, forcefully dealing with obstacles and so forth.

http://www.himalayanart.org/pages/deity ... index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thank You Konchog1, do you know of a good book I can read more of Tara?
"Sona, before you became a monk you were a musician". Sona said that was true. So the Buddha said, "As a musician which string of the lute produces a pleasant and harmonious sound. The over-tight string?" "No," said Sona, "The over-tight string produces an unpleasant sound and is moreover likely to break at any moment." "The string that is too loose?" Again, "No, the string that is too loose does not produce a tuneful sound. The string that produces a tuneful sound is the string that is not too tight and not too loose."
Adamantine
Former staff member

Post by Adamantine »

Distorted wrote:
Konchog1 wrote:She's from the Vajra family. Blue means that she's wrathful which involves turning anger into wisdom, forcefully dealing with obstacles and so forth.

I have not read this book but it looks great! Image

http://www.amazon.com/Praise-Tara-Songs ... 075&sr=1-1
Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha
Konchog1

Post by Konchog1 »

Distorted wrote:

The internet has a lot of good info

http://v7.tsemtulku.com/resources/buddhas/green-tara/
Equanimity is the ground. Love is the moisture. Compassion is the seed. Bodhicitta is the result.

-Paraphrase of Khensur Rinpoche Lobsang Tsephel citing the Guhyasamaja Tantra

"All memories and thoughts are the union of emptiness and knowing, the Mind.
Without attachment, self-liberating, like a snake in a knot.
Through the qualities of meditating in that way,
Mental obscurations are purified and the dharmakaya is attained."

-Ra Lotsawa, All-pervading Melodious Drumbeats
Adamantine
Former staff member

Post by Adamantine »

Konchog1 wrote:
Distorted wrote:

The internet has a lot of good info

http://v7.tsemtulku.com/resources/buddhas/green-tara/
I think the book would be best but if anyone's just browsing websites I think this one is more informativehttp://www.khandro.net/deities_tara1.htm
dakini_boi

Post by dakini_boi »

http://www.amazon.com/Taras-Enlightened ... 295&sr=8-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

this book is supposed to be great, a commentary on the praises to 21 Taras, some of which are blue.

try this site too: http://www.21taras.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Beatzen

Post by Beatzen »

I had a weird experience with red Tara one time that I took LSD. The weird thing is that i had never heard of Tara before the trip, and that's what she introduced herself as. I take it with a grain of salt. I saw yaweh on a throne like an hour before hand. Same acid trip.

The strange thing is that red Tara keeps popping into my life. A gadgud gompa devotee of Tara visited me in the hospital a few years after that LSD trip. That's when I learned she was real. I'm confused because I don't even practice tibetan Buddhism.
"Cause is not before and Effect is not after"
- Eihei Dogen Zenji
AdmiralJim

Post by AdmiralJim »

A gadgud gompa devotee of Tara visited me in the hospital a few years after that LSD trip. That's when I learned she was real. I'm confused because I don't even practice tibetan Buddhism.
When the opportunity to help others arises, do you think the enlightened sangha discriminate? Don't worry about it, the zen is working.
I don't know where we are going but it will be nice when we get there
Adamantine
Former staff member

Post by Adamantine »

Beatzen wrote:I had a weird experience with red Tara one time that I took LSD. The weird thing is that i had never heard of Tara before the trip, and that's what she introduced herself as. I take it with a grain of salt. I saw yaweh on a throne like an hour before hand. Same acid trip.

The strange thing is that red Tara keeps popping into my life. A gadgud gompa devotee of Tara visited me in the hospital a few years after that LSD trip. That's when I learned she was real. I'm confused because I don't even practice tibetan Buddhism.

Sounds like you have a real karmic link with that deity. You may not practice on deities now but you probably have practiced on Tara in the past and that karmic connection will probably bear further fruit in this life...

You are actually very close to this Chagdud Center in Cottage Grove, Oregon
where they house this statue of Red Tara:

Coincidence? How many Red Tara statues do you think there are in North America?

Yeah you may have seen Yaweh earlier in your acid trip but that is an imprint you already had growing up in a Judeao-Christian culture.. and yet you say you never heard of Tara before the trip so that is clearly a more remarkable thing to contemplate.

I would stick with your Zen practice, but at the same time go hang with the Chagdud Gompa folks and chill with the Red Tara statue. You have a link and that is no accident.
Zenshin 善心

Post by Zenshin 善心 »

anyone read both this one...
...and this one? -

http://www.amazon.com/How-Free-Your-Min ... 143&sr=1-2

given a choice, and as i'm limited to kindle at the moment, which would you choose?
All beings since their first aspiration till the attainment of Buddhahood are sheltered under the guardianship of Buddhas and Bodhisattvas who, responding to the requirements of the occasion, transform themselves and assume the actual forms of personality.

Thus for the sake of all beings Buddhas and Bodhisattvas become sometimes their parents, sometimes their wives and children, sometimes their kinsmen, sometimes their servants, sometimes their friends, sometimes their enemies, sometimes reveal themselves as devas or in some other forms.

- Ashvaghosa, The Awakening of Faith

oroka
Adamantine
Former staff member

Post by Adamantine »

dumbbombu wrote:anyone read both this one...
...and this one? -

http://www.amazon.com/How-Free-Your-Min ... 143&sr=1-2

given a choice, and as i'm limited to kindle at the moment, which would you choose?
I have not read either, but being familiar with the Khenpo Brother's writings and browsing both with the amazon look-inside-function I would definitely choose
Tara's Enlightened Activity: Commentary on The Praises to the Twenty-one Taras by
Khenchen Palden Sherab
Khenpo Tsewang Dongyal

That's because their writing is both profound and lucid, easy to understand, and it seems they actually guide you through the practice / visualization itself along with advice for setting up the shrine, etc.. the essential practical things you need and direct from realized masters. . .you can't go wrong.
Zenshin 善心

Post by Zenshin 善心 »

cheers Adamantine, reciting the 21 Praises was my very first Dharma practice, before i settled into Jodo Shinshu and found a samgha and master... so i still have a bit of a soft spot in my heart for her :smile:
All beings since their first aspiration till the attainment of Buddhahood are sheltered under the guardianship of Buddhas and Bodhisattvas who, responding to the requirements of the occasion, transform themselves and assume the actual forms of personality.

Thus for the sake of all beings Buddhas and Bodhisattvas become sometimes their parents, sometimes their wives and children, sometimes their kinsmen, sometimes their servants, sometimes their friends, sometimes their enemies, sometimes reveal themselves as devas or in some other forms.

- Ashvaghosa, The Awakening of Faith

oroka
robaire

Post by robaire »

Beatzen wrote: I saw yaweh on a throne like an hour before hand. Same acid trip.
apparently you have not been alone on that trip. lol...
Distorted

Post by Distorted »

Thank you for the replies! :cheers:
daelm

Post by daelm »

robaire wrote:
Beatzen wrote: I saw yaweh on a throne like an hour before hand. Same acid trip.
apparently you have not been alone on that trip...

robaire wins the internet
krodha

Post by krodha »

Ekajaṭī is also known as Blue Tārā

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ekajati
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

Adamantine wrote:
I have not read either, but being familiar with the Khenpo Brother's writings and browsing both with the amazon look-inside-function I would definitely choose
Tara's Enlightened Activity: Commentary on The Praises to the Twenty-one Taras by
Khenchen Palden Sherab
Khenpo Tsewang Dongyal

That's because their writing is both profound and lucid, easy to understand, and it seems they actually guide you through the practice / visualization itself along with advice for setting up the shrine, etc.. the essential practical things you need and direct from realized masters. . .you can't go wrong.
Khenpo Brothers: :twothumbsup:

There are different forms of the 21 Tara's (at least three). Atisha's 21 Tara's also has at least one blue Tara but these notes are in storage right now. It might be worthwhile to take a look at blue Tara;s across lineages.

Kirt
“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”