FPMT

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
Dave The Seeker

FPMT

Post by Dave The Seeker »

The Foundation for the Preservation of the Mahayana Tradition

I was wondering, since I'm seeking out a temple and teacher, if this group and their programs is a good start?
To at least get a good understanding and "education" in the Mahayana Tradition.
They have home study courses and books, in the order which to read in their programs.

I was just wondering as I have already been warned of a group and don't want to be lead off the True Path I'm trying to follow.

Thank you in advance :namaste:

Kindest wishes, Dave
Everyday problems teach us to have a realistic attitude.
They teach us that life is what life is; flawed.
Yet with tremendous potential for joy and fulfillment.
~Lama Surya Das~

If your path teaches you to act and exert yourself correctly and leads to spiritual realizations such as love, compassion and wisdom then obviously it's worthwhile.
~Lama Thubten Yeshe~

One whose mind is freed does not argue with anyone, he does not dispute with anyone. He makes use of the conventional terms of the world without clinging to them
~The Buddha~
DGA
Former staff member

Re: FPMT

Post by DGA »

Sure, give them a shot.
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Excellent group!
May all seek, find & follow the Path of Buddhas.
Mr. G

Post by Mr. G »

FPMT is fine. If you're looking to start study online and have interests in Dzogchen, I recommend:

http://tsegyalgar.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you want, give us the name of the town by you, and we can assist looking for sanghas within a 50 mile radius.
  • How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu
Dave The Seeker

Thanks!

Mr. G I'm near Coldwater MI.
You'll have to go way farther than 50 miles though, or at least as far as I've searched.

Also I've been reading and leaning towards the Chinese Mahayana tradition. It seems to fit many of the things I already am like.

Kindest wishes, Dave
~Lama Surya Das~

If your path teaches you to act and exert yourself correctly and leads to spiritual realizations such as love, compassion and wisdom then obviously it's worthwhile.
~Lama Thubten Yeshe~

One whose mind is freed does not argue with anyone, he does not dispute with anyone. He makes use of the conventional terms of the world without clinging to them
~The Buddha~
Blue Garuda

Post by Blue Garuda »

I think maybe the person who warned you off them was mixing them up with another orgainisation, or maybe just didn't like that group for some reason.

IMHO they have an excellent and progresssive programme, resources to download etc.

Of course, check out a number of groups you could attend - it's very important to feel comfortable with the teacher and the group itself.
Left
Mr. G

Post by Mr. G »

The Seeker wrote:Thanks!

Mr. G I'm near Coldwater MI.
You'll have to go way farther than 50 miles though, or at least as far as I've searched.

Also I've been reading and leaning towards the Chinese Mahayana tradition. It seems to fit many of the things I already am like.

Kindest wishes, Dave
This may be an option given that your location isn't close to the center you want:

http://www.dharmadrum.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Contact the Michigan representative in Lansing:

TEL : (517) 332-0003
E-Mail : [email protected]

It may be further from what you want, but you may want to set up one or two days to either go on a meditation retreat with one of the main Dharma Drum centers and learn what daily liturgies they do in addition to properly learning how to meditate. It's not so much about going to temple every week as long as you know how to practice properly in terms of meditation and daily liturgies. In terms of reading sutras and understanding them with good commentaries, many members here can assist with this.

Also to start reading the following would be helpful:

Orthodox Chinese Buddhism: A Contemporary Chan Master's Answers to Common Questions by Master Sheng Yen
The Way to Buddhahood: Instructions from a Modern Chinese Master by Venerable Yin-shun

I'm guessing you were leaning more towards Chan than Pure Land.
  • How foolish you are,
    - Vasubandhu
Dave The Seeker

Thank you once again my friend. :namaste:
I will get in touch with them this upcoming week. And as you said I will try to go to a retreat to learn the proper way to meditate and the proper liturgies.
Yes I am leaning more towards Chan.

I'll get the books you suggest as soon as I finish with the other 2 you have already said would be a good way to understand Buddhism.

Kindest wishes, Dave
~Lama Surya Das~

~Lama Thubten Yeshe~

~The Buddha~
Josef

Post by Josef »

I have been fortunate enough to get to spend some quality time with FPMT spiritual director Lama Zopa Rinpoche and I can tell you without a doubt that he is an wonderful teacher and an all around excellent human being.
I consider myself very lucky to have had the access to him that I did.
"All phenomena of samsara depend on the mind, so when the essence of mind is purified, samsara is purified. Since the phenomena of nirvana depend on the pristine consciousness of vidyā, because one remains in the immediacy of vidyā, buddhahood arises on its own. All critical points are summarized with those two." - Longchenpa
zerwe

Post by zerwe »

I am an FPMT practitioner and the online programs and support are wonderful.
As an organization they are doing a lot to help preserve monastic centers, provide education, retreat, and
practice opportunities at every level.
If you have the ability to get to a center you may be able to connect with teachers. I drive about 5 hours round trip
as often as I can.
Shaun
Mr. G

Post by Mr. G »

The Seeker wrote:Thank you once again my friend. :namaste:
I will get in touch with them this upcoming week. And as you said I will try to go to a retreat to learn the proper way to meditate and the proper liturgies.
Yes I am leaning more towards Chan.

I'll get the books you suggest as soon as I finish with the other 2 you have already said would be a good way to understand Buddhism.

Kindest wishes, Dave
:thumbsup:

And also if you're interested in FPMT, they are a very good option as well as others have stated.
  • How foolish you are,
    - Vasubandhu
Tilopa

Post by Tilopa »

zerwe wrote:I am an FPMT practitioner and the online programs and support are wonderful.
As an organization they are doing a lot to help preserve monastic centers, provide education, retreat, and
Looking at their website just now and they have an awesome variety of projects: health care clinics, animal welfare, eye hospital in Tibet and others.
Lama Zopa also wants to build 100,000 Guru Rinpoche statues and he sponsors Sakya Trizin to give initiations each year. Very impressive and not at all sectarian. I read somewhere Rinpoche was a great Nyingma yogi in his last life.
Josef

Post by Josef »

Tilopa wrote: I read somewhere Rinpoche was a great Nyingma yogi in his last life.
He was.
He is also trying to bring some of the fifth Dalai Lama's terma back in to circulation.
"All phenomena of samsara depend on the mind, so when the essence of mind is purified, samsara is purified. Since the phenomena of nirvana depend on the pristine consciousness of vidyā, because one remains in the immediacy of vidyā, buddhahood arises on its own. All critical points are summarized with those two." - Longchenpa
zerwe

Post by zerwe »

Tilopa wrote:
zerwe wrote:I am an FPMT practitioner and the online programs and support are wonderful.
Looking at their website just now and they have an awesome variety of projects: health care clinics, animal welfare, eye hospital in Tibet and others.
Lama Zopa also wants to build 100,000 Guru Rinpoche statues and he sponsors Sakya Trizin to give initiations each year. Very impressive and not at all sectarian. I read somewhere Rinpoche was a great Nyingma yogi in his last life.
Yes, all are blessings. Not to mention that all of my relative aspirations, albeit simple and humble so far, have seemed to quickly materialize.
Now the hard work will be trying to put into practice a mind and actions that will continuously benefit others.
Shaun :namaste:
Dave The Seeker

Thank you all so much!

I'll be ordering some of their material today.
I'm so grateful for all the help the members of this forum have given me.

Shaun, thanks my friend, I'm states away from the nearest center, but there may be a vacation to NC this spring/summer :smile:

Nangwa, I also thank you for your input here. I'd imagine that it was a great experience meeting and spending a bit of time with Lama Zopa Rinpoche

Kindest wishes, Dave :namaste:
~Lama Surya Das~

~Lama Thubten Yeshe~

~The Buddha~
Dave The Seeker

Searching the site I have found a study group that is listed on the FPMT web page that is at least close.....5 hrs.

So I'm hoping I can get someone to cover for me next Sunday so I can make the trip

Kindest wishes, Dave
~Lama Surya Das~

~Lama Thubten Yeshe~

~The Buddha~
Mr. G

Post by Mr. G »

:thumbsup:
  • How foolish you are,
    - Vasubandhu
Blue Garuda

Post by Blue Garuda »

Just registering my delight that FPMT has received such positive comments. :)
Left
Paliut

Post by Paliut »

For what it counts i too am a beginner, I spoke to an individual who has been studying Buddhism for a while. He personally told me that as a way to study buddhism as a whole at home the FPMT offered great online program course work. I am looking into it too, but i must save up a bit of money. He also told me that the programs commentaries and translations of the sutras are pretty good. Better than others, of course i only speak from what i was told.

Cheers,
Braulio
zerwe

Post by zerwe »

The Seeker wrote:Searching the site I have found a study group that is listed on the FPMT web page that is at least close.....5 hrs.

So I'm hoping I can get someone to cover for me next Sunday so I can make the trip

Kindest wishes, Dave
If you make it to NC please do come visit our center in Raleigh. You are always welcome.
Shaun :namaste:

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”