Tashi Mannox - Tibetan Calligrapher

A place to post videos, pictures, and any other sort of Buddhist or non-Buddhist media.
Mr. G

Tashi Mannox - Tibetan Calligrapher

Post by Mr. G »

phpBB [video]

http://vimeo.com/14611158" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  • Tashi was born in England in the year of the water tiger, for the past 35 years he has studied an eclectic range of artistic disciplines within both the Eastern and Western traditions in his journey as a painter and calligrapher.

Shortly after gaining a BA [Hons] degree in Fine Art, he became a Buddhist monk of the Tibetan Kagyu order and at the tender age of 22 was given the name Tsering Tashi.

For seventeen-years he apprenticed under the direction of a master of the Karma Gardri Tibetan art tradition, Sherab Palden Beru, studying the Tibetan language and traditional temple decoration which coincided with the timely building of the Temple at the Samye Ling Tibetan centre in Scotland.

During this period Tashi studied under many Tibetan Lamas, including the artistic guidance from H.E Situ Rinpoche and inspiration from the calligraphy works of Chogyam Trungpa. However the foundation of Tashi’s training is set by the high standards and clarity of his spiritual father Akong Tulku Rinpoche.

Part of Tashi’s monastic training was in 1988 to enter a closed four year Buddhist retreat, which also gave a sensitive environment to meticulously copy ancient Tibetan texts, furthering his training as a scribe in the highly disciplined, and multiple forms of Tibetan calligraphy.

In 2000 Tashi Travelled to India, where in Dharamsala he was privileged to study under a master of ancient Sanskrit: Lama Pema Lodrup, These artistic forms of Sanskrit called Lanza and Wartu, are preserved by only a handful of practitioners in the world today.

Since laying down his monastic robes in 2000, Tashi has built on his disciplined training and meditative awareness, formed through years of practicing the Tibetan Buddhist Tantras and philosophy - to produce a collection of iconographic masterpieces that reveal powerful, spiritual themes through the majestic images of Tibetan Buddhist calligraphy and iconography
http://www.tashimannox.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  • How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu
MrDistracted

Re: Tashi Mannox - Tibetan Calligrapher

Post by MrDistracted »

If I could have one more distraction it would be to be as talented and skilled at Tashi and top be able to produce artwork like he does.

He's a nice guy aswell, I met him when he taught a meditation course I attended at Samye Ling at christmas/new year 1999/2000

Thanks for posting Mr G.
Mr. G

Post by Mr. G »

You had the pleasure of meeting him...that must have been great. I hope to meet him one day too. His art is stunning.
  • How foolish you are,
    - Vasubandhu
Stewart

Post by Stewart »

Hey,

I have known Tashi for around 14 years, we lived at Kagyu Samye Ling together. He is a really nice guy, also calligraphy is just a fraction of his artistic talents.

He is also an amazing tailor (he used to make all the monks robes at Samye Ling and textile goods for the Rinpoche's and the temple) Temple decorator and designer (check out Samye Ling's temple) and an accomplished chant master, and also all ritual instruments. He's just one of those people who makes it seem effortless. Quite amazing.

When I lived at Samye Ling he was immense help to me. Both as a friend and mentor.

best wishes,

s.
s.
Mr. G

Post by Mr. G »

He seems like a real Renaissance Man, samdrup. I was actually looking to have a thangka commissioned as a gift for a teacher later this year. Tashi Mannox is definitely a person to be considered.
  • How foolish you are,
    - Vasubandhu
Karinos

Post by Karinos »

http://www.facebook.com/Tashi.Mannox.Calligraphy?ref=ts" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MrDistracted

Post by MrDistracted »

I just found this whilst exploring my seemingly growing interest in ChNN and the Dzogchen Community:

http://www.dzogchencommunity.org/activi ... annox.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dorje Jampel

Post by Dorje Jampel »

Never meet him, but I am looking forward! In my opinion, is a great artist. Hope to learn from him soon.
May I be protector for those without one, 
A guide for all travellers on the way; 
May I be a bridge, a boat and a ship 
For all who wish to cross

Return to “Media”