Mongolian for Buddha

Looking for translations, or for help with translations and transliterations? This is the place.
Post Reply
User avatar
Nicholas Weeks
Posts: 2908
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:21 am
Location: California

Mongolian for Buddha

Post by Nicholas Weeks » Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:00 pm

What term(s) do Mongolians use to translate Buddha? Just a phonetic version please.
Distrust everyone in whom the impulse to punish is powerful!
Nietzsche

mañjughoṣamaṇi
Posts: 183
Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:26 pm

Re: Mongolian for Buddha

Post by mañjughoṣamaṇi » Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:10 pm

Buddha = Burkhan (Бурхан)
Buddhism = Burkhan Shashin (бурхан шашин). Shashin is a loan word via old Uyghur ultimately derived from the Sanskrit śāsana.

PS. I know you asked for the phonetic version only, but I included the Cyrillic because there is no universally accepted transliteration scheme for Mongolian (classical or any of the contemporary languages) so if you want to search further being able to cut and paste the cyrillic forms makes it easier to find information. You can see the above transliterated as Burγan Šašin, Burġan, and so on.
སེམས་རྣམ་པར་གྲོལ་བར་བྱའི་ཕྱིར་བྱམས་པ་བསྒོམ་པར་བྱའོ།
“In order to completely liberate the mind, cultivate loving kindness.” -- Maitribhāvana Sūtra

"The bottom always falls out of the quest for the elementary. The irreducibly individual recedes like the horizon, as our analysis advances." -- Genesis, Michel Serres

User avatar
Nicholas Weeks
Posts: 2908
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:21 am
Location: California

Re: Mongolian for Buddha

Post by Nicholas Weeks » Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:26 pm

mañjughoṣamaṇi wrote:Buddha = Burkhan (Бурхан)
Buddhism = Burkhan Shashin (бурхан шашин). Shashin is a loan word via old Uyghur ultimately derived from the Sanskrit śāsana.

PS. I know you asked for the phonetic version only, but I included the Cyrillic because there is no universally accepted transliteration scheme for Mongolian (classical or any of the contemporary languages) so if you want to search further being able to cut and paste the cyrillic forms makes it easier to find information. You can see the above transliterated as Burγan Šašin, Burġan, and so on.
:bow:

So Buryan, Burgan, Burkhan are how it is pronounced - many thanks. There may be regional dialects in Mongolia, like Tibet anyway.
Distrust everyone in whom the impulse to punish is powerful!
Nietzsche

mañjughoṣamaṇi
Posts: 183
Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:26 pm

Re: Mongolian for Buddha

Post by mañjughoṣamaṇi » Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:39 pm

Will wrote:
mañjughoṣamaṇi wrote:Buddha = Burkhan (Бурхан)
Buddhism = Burkhan Shashin (бурхан шашин). Shashin is a loan word via old Uyghur ultimately derived from the Sanskrit śāsana.

PS. I know you asked for the phonetic version only, but I included the Cyrillic because there is no universally accepted transliteration scheme for Mongolian (classical or any of the contemporary languages) so if you want to search further being able to cut and paste the cyrillic forms makes it easier to find information. You can see the above transliterated as Burγan Šašin, Burġan, and so on.
:bow:

So Buryan, Burgan, Burkhan are how it is pronounced - many thanks. There may be regional dialects in Mongolia, like Tibet anyway.
Those are just three ways of transliterating the contemporary pronunciation of the same Mongol phoneme, represented in cyrillic by х. The γ is a Greek gamma, not the latin y, and it and the 'kh' and the ġ (with the diacritic ̇) are all trying to represent that same sound (in the modern Mongolic languages they are http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voiceless_velar_fricative" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, there is debate about how it was pronounced in earlier Mongolic languages). I just put them up to show that there is a plethora of ways to transliterate the classical script and the cyrillic script into latin based alphabets in order to explain why I put the cyrillic in.

Your inclination regarding dialects is correct, and there are several extant Mongolic languages besides the big two Khalka and Buryat.
སེམས་རྣམ་པར་གྲོལ་བར་བྱའི་ཕྱིར་བྱམས་པ་བསྒོམ་པར་བྱའོ།
“In order to completely liberate the mind, cultivate loving kindness.” -- Maitribhāvana Sūtra

"The bottom always falls out of the quest for the elementary. The irreducibly individual recedes like the horizon, as our analysis advances." -- Genesis, Michel Serres

User avatar
Nicholas Weeks
Posts: 2908
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:21 am
Location: California

Re: Mongolian for Buddha

Post by Nicholas Weeks » Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:48 pm

mañjughoṣamaṇi wrote:
Will wrote:
mañjughoṣamaṇi wrote:Buddha = Burkhan (Бурхан)
Buddhism = Burkhan Shashin (бурхан шашин). Shashin is a loan word via old Uyghur ultimately derived from the Sanskrit śāsana.

PS. I know you asked for the phonetic version only, but I included the Cyrillic because there is no universally accepted transliteration scheme for Mongolian (classical or any of the contemporary languages) so if you want to search further being able to cut and paste the cyrillic forms makes it easier to find information. You can see the above transliterated as Burγan Šašin, Burġan, and so on.
:bow:

So Buryan, Burgan, Burkhan are how it is pronounced - many thanks. There may be regional dialects in Mongolia, like Tibet anyway.
Those are just three ways of transliterating the contemporary pronunciation of the same Mongol phoneme, represented in cyrillic by х. The γ is a Greek gamma, not the latin y, and it and the 'kh' and the ġ (with the diacritic ̇) are all trying to represent that same sound (in the modern Mongolic languages they are http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voiceless_velar_fricative" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, there is debate about how it was pronounced in earlier Mongolic languages). I just put them up to show that there is a plethora of ways to transliterate the classical script and the cyrillic script into latin based alphabets in order to explain why I put the cyrillic in.

Your inclination regarding dialects is correct, and there are several extant Mongolic languages besides the big two Khalka and Buryat.
Think I have it now - phonetically Burgan or Burkhan are close to correct pronunciation.
Distrust everyone in whom the impulse to punish is powerful!
Nietzsche

User avatar
Nicholas Weeks
Posts: 2908
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:21 am
Location: California

Re: Mongolian for Buddha

Post by Nicholas Weeks » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:57 am

Glenn Mullin chimes in with 'Bhuhaan'

Thanks to all :bow:
Distrust everyone in whom the impulse to punish is powerful!
Nietzsche

bloxgros
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:10 am

Re: Mongolian for Buddha

Post by bloxgros » Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:28 am

Hi, Burkhan menas god (or buddha, bodhisattva) and Burkhan Bagsh means Shakyamuni Buddha. For more infromation abou mongolian language vist http://blo-gros.info/index.php?id=mongolian-language

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests