Tummo traditional test

spanda

Tummo traditional test

Post by spanda »

Hi

I wonder about something. I read about the traditional tummo test, about the external sign of success in this practice: the capacity to dry a minimum number of wet sheets in cold Tibetan winter, etc. I remember that even Chogyal Namkhai Norbu at one of this retreats talked about the fact that, when he was In Tibet, at Sakhya monastery where he lived, he witnessed such tests. My question is: the purpose of tummo practice is completely different (wisdom of great bliss, etc), and the physical warm is only a secondary effect. Why than, it was chosen as a sign of success a test which in fact is concentrated on a secondary effect - the physical warm?
It is impossible to obtain ( through tummo practice) the 4- Bliss, etc, without having the external sing: the physical warm?
tummo

Re: Tummo traditional test

Post by tummo »

why is it important?
it is like asking - "can I breathe through my ears?"

this is for you to discover through practice. if you got the instruction, then practice.
when you practice, you will understand how it works and why it works.
do not try to intellectualize, just practice :juggling: .
the purpose is to attain realization :buddha1: , not intellectual masturbation :reading: .
Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it,
unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.
- Buddha
spanda

Post by spanda »

Your answer is stupid. This question is not intellectual "masturbation". (Try to don't project your habits on others :)
These is a purpose in this: why they came with this specific hardcore test? It is really necessary?
Anyway, it is clear that this question is not for you.
Paul

Post by Paul »

Extreme body heat is easy to test. How would you test internal experiences like feeling bliss?
Look at the unfathomable spinelessness of man: all the means he's been given to stay alert he uses, in the end, to ornament his sleep. – Rene Daumal
the modern mind has become so limited and single-visioned that it has lost touch with normal perception - John Michell
spanda

Post by spanda »

Paul wrote:Extreme body heat is easy to test. How would you test internal experiences like feeling bliss?
Exactly! You can't test internal feeling, like bliss, etc.
So my question was: ok, you test the secondary efects: extreme body heat. But this corelation betwen this internal bliss experiences and body heat is absolute? It is possible to atain (through tumo) this internal experiences of bliss without external body heat?
wisdom

Post by wisdom »

The heat, bliss, and proper practice are all one thing. If you are doing it correctly, you will experience heat and from that, bliss will arise. The end result is that the heat and bliss reach the head, at which point the nectar falls.

You can experience bliss in other ways of course, such as through concentration on a meditation object like the breath.

Return to “Sakya”