Yogi Chen

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
himalayanspirit

Yogi Chen

Post by himalayanspirit »

Does anyone know more about this man? I recently discovered his website ( http://www.yogichen.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) and have found lots of insightful stuff to read. However, I am not sure about the authenticity of what he says. I remember reading some criticism about him (or probably his disciple) regarding their understanding of Buddhism.

Can anyone give more insight about this man and his attainments? So far, I have been enjoying whatever I am reading. He considers Chan to be the highest vehicle but has been practicing Tibetan Yoga for many years in a cave in India.

:anjali:
nirmal

Re: Yogi Chen

Post by nirmal »

Great Yogi.He first appeared in the holy light of my meditation in 1993 in his traditional Chinese costume.Said nothing but just kept smiling.Then He waved goodbye and disappeared.I kept wondering who He was until I came across His book by chance with His photo in it.Some 10years ago,He appeared again in the form of Manjusri with two dragons encircling Him.A number of my poems are based on His wisdom.I met His disciple,Dr. Lin, in person some 8 years ago but was not impressed with his work though the sea did suddenly become rough when we went out to sea to give offerings to the Dragon King.Till now I still remember the part where the calm sea suddenly turned rough with huge waves with the arrival of the Dragon King from his palace under the sea.Dr Lin is very good at that.
Having taken the form of Manjusri,I feel that C.M.Chen's work has to be given due recognition.
himalayanspirit

Post by himalayanspirit »

Hi Nirmal,

Thanks for your opinion. After reading articles by Yogi Chen, I was of the impression that this man must have been quite famous, especially in the west - because he seems to be extremely knowledgeable about the three vehicles of Buddhism. However, this doesn't seem to be the case. Some of the things he says are quite perplexing however and simply unbelievable or unconvincing.
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

He was a student of Kyabje Kalu Rinpoche's, fairly early on...much of his work (translations and commentaries) reflects this. There's some great stuff there, but I personally find some of the translations a bit problematic. I did not know the man, but have spoken with others who do, and my impressions are pretty positive, though there are some idiosyncratic details. I'm not sure his works were "sanctioned" by lineage lamas, for what's it worth. I wouldn't recommend his stuff as a "primary source" --but that's only my personal opinion.
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
Aemilius

Post by Aemilius »

himalayanspirit wrote:Does anyone know more about this man? I recently discovered his website ( http://www.yogichen.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) and have found lots of insightful stuff to read. However, I am not sure about the authenticity of what he says. I remember reading some criticism about him (or probably his disciple) regarding their understanding of Buddhism.

Can anyone give more insight about this man and his attainments? So far, I have been enjoying whatever I am reading. He considers Chan to be the highest vehicle but has been practicing Tibetan Yoga for many years in a cave in India.

:anjali:
He lived as a buddhist hermit in Kalimpong in 1960's, during that time he met and influenced many western buddhists, who later have become influential. Among them are Lama Surya Dass and Ole Nydahl, who has said that from this chinese hermit he got the first vajrayana text that was actually translated into english.
Yogi Chen moved to America, in his own words he was invited there by the Dragon King of North America!
He used to send his little booklets around the world in 1970's and 1980's, at that time I saw and read some of them. His so called "Disciple" has done a great disservice to the world by his so called "editing" of Yogi Chen's original pamphlets.

There is a short story of him in the Wikipedia, that is alright, surprisingly.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yogi_Chen
svaha
"All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights.
They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.
Sarvē mānavāḥ svatantrāḥ samutpannāḥ vartantē api ca, gauravadr̥śā adhikāradr̥śā ca samānāḥ ēva vartantē. Ētē sarvē cētanā-tarka-śaktibhyāṁ susampannāḥ santi. Api ca, sarvē’pi bandhutva-bhāvanayā parasparaṁ vyavaharantu."
Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 1. (in english and sanskrit)
daelm

Post by daelm »

Aemilius wrote:His so called "Disciple" has done a great disservice to the world by his so called "editing" of Yogi Chen's original pamphlets. There is a short story of him in the Wikipedia, that is alright, surprisingly.

the Yogi Chen site lists Yutang Lin as his student. same as Lin Yutang, the english/chinese author and populariser?

d
Aemilius

Post by Aemilius »

daelm wrote:
Aemilius wrote:His so called "Disciple" has done a great disservice to the world by his so called "editing" of Yogi Chen's original pamphlets. There is a short story of him in the Wikipedia, that is alright, surprisingly.

the Yogi Chen site lists Yutang Lin as his student. same as Lin Yutang, the english/chinese author and populariser?

d
Certainly not, LinYutang passed away 1976, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lin_Yutang
svaha
They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.
Sarvē mānavāḥ svatantrāḥ samutpannāḥ vartantē api ca, gauravadr̥śā adhikāradr̥śā ca samānāḥ ēva vartantē. Ētē sarvē cētanā-tarka-śaktibhyāṁ susampannāḥ santi. Api ca, sarvē’pi bandhutva-bhāvanayā parasparaṁ vyavaharantu."
daelm

Post by daelm »

Aemilius wrote:
daelm wrote:

d
Certainly not, LinYutang passed away 1976, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lin_Yutang

i saw that, on the wiki pages, thanks. i was still undecided because the Disciple mentioned is not active. but since Lin Yutang (author) reverted to christianity in the end, i thought it unlikely.

d
Aemilius

Post by Aemilius »

In the Wikipedia article Ole Nydahl recalls that before coming to Kathmandu & Nepal Yogi Chen studied Dharma in China and in Tibet. Yogi Chen writes about his guru or his teachers in Tibet in the original pamphlets, (I don't how much of it is left in the new versions edited by YutangLin). He considers Lama Lola to be his root guru, he mentions other names too. To my knowledge Guru Lola is otherwise unknown, than as Yogi Chen's teacher. He probably met Kalu Rimpoche only later in Nepal. There are bits and pieces of autobiography scattered in his pamphlets. At least there was in the older ones.
svaha
nirmal

Post by nirmal »

Aemilius wrote:In the Wikipedia article Ole Nydahl recalls that before coming to Kathmandu & Nepal Yogi Chen studied Dharma in China and in Tibet. Yogi Chen writes about his guru or his teachers in Tibet in the original pamphlets, (I don't how much of it is left in the new versions edited by YutangLin). He considers Lama Lola to be his root guru, he mentions other names too. To my knowledge Guru Lola is otherwise unknown, than as Yogi Chen's teacher. He probably met Kalu Rimpoche only later in Nepal. There are bits and pieces of autobiography scattered in his pamphlets. At least there was in the older ones.
It is also worth noting that many of the teachers, of whom I was a pupil, were not famous or those with established reputations (though some were). The majority were little known often living in remote wild places with very few disciples, if any at all. Some were not Tulkus (Emanate Lamas) but might by their own efforts in this life found a spiritual line. Very often the deepest teaching are found among such sorts of Gurus. http://www.yogichen.org/gurulin/gc/sa0012e.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
nirmal

Post by nirmal »

C.M. Chen's latest form
Attachments
DSC00025.jpg
DSC00025.jpg (25.71 KiB) Viewed 4116 times
nirmal

Post by nirmal »

Dragon-King Sutra Stanzas
CW30_No.58
The Buddhist Yogi C. M. Chen

A Short Introduction

This Dragon-King Sutra implies profound wisdom. In it Buddha settled the struggle between the Asuras and Gods and that between the Garudas and Dragons. Anyone who repeats it may become enlightened and get protection from all the eight departments of protectors, namely, Deavs, Nagas, Yaksas, Gandharvas, Asuras, Garudas, Kinnara, and Mahoraga.

I was advised by heavenly instruction that I should find this Sutra in the Chinese Tripitaka and repeat it. As this Sutra is much longer than the Diamond Sutra, it was not separately repeated by anyone except those who read the whole Tripitaka. Hence there was no such Sutra printed separately by any publisher. I therefore summarized all those essences into some stanzas and printed them for those who may wish to repeat them, especially those who work on the oceans as navigators and mariners. Now I have been trusted to translate it into English. I hope it can flourish all over the earth between the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans.
http://www.yogichen.org/cw/cw30/bk058.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”