Which is the biggest teaching?

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
Nicholas Weeks

Re: Which is the biggest teaching?

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Astus wrote:Will, what I meant is that matching the teachings to the recipients' minds it becomes not just claiming that X doctrine is the best, but it adds a personal insult to it.
Do you really think that the IQ scale or intelligence is the main factor that leads Buddha to target his teachings to "recipients' minds"? Does high intelligence = wisdom?
May all seek, find & follow the Path of Buddhas.
Astus
Former staff member

Post by Astus »

Will wrote:Do you really think that the IQ scale or intelligence is the main factor that leads Buddha to target his teachings to "recipients' minds"? Does high intelligence = wisdom?
First, I don't equate IQ with intelligence, nor intelligence with wisdom. Second, being open to higher teachings is usually defined by one's karmic disposition, and only on a second level by one's wisdom and thirdly by intelligence. On the other hand, it is unlikely that somebody with a lower than average intelligence could study the Dharma in depth.
1 Myriad dharmas are only mind.
Mind is unobtainable.
What is there to seek?

2 If the Buddha-Nature is seen,
there will be no seeing of a nature in any thing.

3 Neither cultivation nor seated meditation —
this is the pure Chan of Tathagata.

4 With sudden enlightenment to Tathagata Chan,
the six paramitas and myriad means
are complete within that essence.

1 Huangbo, T2012Ap381c1 2 Nirvana Sutra, T374p521b3; tr. Yamamoto 3 Mazu, X1321p3b23; tr. J. Jia 4 Yongjia, T2014p395c14; tr. from "The Sword of Wisdom"
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Astus: it is unlikely that somebody with a lower than average intelligence could study the Dharma in depth.
Quite so, but we can practice sutra recitation, mantra recitation, copying sutras, meditate on sutra or shastra passages, increase virtues & reduce vices etc. In depth Dharma study is not required or even useful for most practitioners. What is needed is devotion, regularity of practice, increased purity of living, and if karma permits, a good knowing advisor.
May all seek, find & follow the Path of Buddhas.
catmoon
Former staff member

Post by catmoon »

Sergeant Schultz knew everything there was to know.
Mr. G

Post by Mr. G »

• The phenomenon of temporarily treating one great Bodhisattva as preeminent in this way, apparently at the expense of the prestige of other Buddhas and Bodhisattvas, is entirely in keeping with Indian religions convention. In the vedic hymns, for instance, whichever god is being praised is always treated, in that instance, as the greatest god of them all

- Alexander Studholme - "The Origins of Om Manipadme Hum"
  • How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Astus wrote:On the other hand, it is unlikely that somebody with a lower than average intelligence could study the Dharma in depth.
Ouch!!! On a number of levels:
1. The realisation of ones Buddha nature is independent of intelligence, but merely a matter of sentience.
2. Studying Dharma without realisation is a complete and utter waste of time!
3. Realisation through practice is more likely, than realisation through study (albeit that study is a form of practice).
4. Within the mantrayana the "feeling" associated with a practice is more important than the thoughts about the practice.
5. Study can easily lead to conceptualisation, a hug obstacle to realisation!
6. And what of faith my dear Astus? Who do you reckon has a higher "chance" of recognising Amitabha during the bardo of death? Someone that has chanted Namo Amitofu with full faith during their lives or somebody that has studied the various intellectual nuances and history of the development of the Amitabha practice?
7. There are more which I am sure will come to me now that I am off to practice! :smile:
:namaste:
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Astus
Former staff member

Post by Astus »

I specifically said "study the Dharma in depth", and I really meant study. There are of course many practices that does not require one to know anything about the teachings, or only the bare essentials related to that specific practice. It is no coincidence that devotional methods are what generally taught to the masses, because it is something easy to follow. And I'm not saying here that such practices are pointless or misguided. There are also many stories where people who followed simple devotional methods displayed miraculous things in their lives or even after their deaths. But if we consider those who transmitted the teachings to the next generation and had long term influence within a school or an area, they were people of great intelligence and solid education, and usually advantageous social background. Of course, realisation does not require studying the scriptures, nor does it require practising meditation, nevertheless, besides legendary saints, outstanding teachers always had both knowledge and experience. And that includes even Pure Land teachers.
1 Myriad dharmas are only mind.
Mind is unobtainable.
What is there to seek?

2 If the Buddha-Nature is seen,
there will be no seeing of a nature in any thing.

3 Neither cultivation nor seated meditation —
this is the pure Chan of Tathagata.

4 With sudden enlightenment to Tathagata Chan,
the six paramitas and myriad means
are complete within that essence.

1 Huangbo, T2012Ap381c1 2 Nirvana Sutra, T374p521b3; tr. Yamamoto 3 Mazu, X1321p3b23; tr. J. Jia 4 Yongjia, T2014p395c14; tr. from "The Sword of Wisdom"
catmoon
Former staff member

Post by catmoon »

gregkavarnos wrote:
Astus wrote:On the other hand, it is unlikely that somebody with a lower than average intelligence could study the Dharma in depth.
Ouch!!! On a number of levels:
1. The realisation of ones Buddha nature is independent of intelligence, but merely a matter of sentience.
2. Studying Dharma without realisation is a complete and utter waste of time!
3. Realisation through practice is more likely, than realisation through study (albeit that study is a form of practice).
4. Within the mantrayana the "feeling" associated with a practice is more important than the thoughts about the practice.
5. Study can easily lead to conceptualisation, a hug obstacle to realisation!
6. And what of faith my dear Astus? Who do you reckon has a higher "chance" of recognising Amitabha during the bardo of death? Someone that has chanted Namo Amitofu with full faith during their lives or somebody that has studied the various intellectual nuances and history of the development of the Amitabha practice?
7. There are more which I am sure will come to me now that I am off to practice! :smile:
:namaste:
I think yer both right. A person with an impaired mind can only study a little, can only learn a little. BUT there is no limit on their practice, attainments, or compassion. Those can be developed infinitely. Thus, the Dharma is fully open to the brain damaged, the mentally ill, Greeks, the uneducated, and alcoholics. No restrictions. All can develop.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

catmoon wrote:...Greeks...
Dude, when my ancestors were practicing Buddhism yours were still beating each other over the head with wooden cudgels and waiting for the Romans to bring them a written alphabet and numerical system! :tongue:
uuuurgghhh!.jpg
uuuurgghhh!.jpg (10.39 KiB) Viewed 3156 times

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

And I won't even mention your feline predecessors!
cave cat.jpg
cave cat.jpg (8.53 KiB) Viewed 3139 times

catmoon
Former staff member

Post by catmoon »

gregkavarnos wrote:
catmoon wrote:...Greeks...
Dude, when my ancestors were practicing Buddhism yours were still beating each other over the head with wooden cudgels and waiting for the Romans to bring them a written alphabet and numerical system! :tongue:
romans... romans.... oh yes I remember them. Irritating fellows, we had to beat the crap out of them and kick them out of the country. Seemed to think they owned it for some reason. I assume your ancestors had to do the same?

I mean, like if you ignore the First Macedonian War, which wasn't really against Greece, you know, and the Second Macedonian War, where the Greeks got pulped, and the Seleucid War, where the Greeks, with the help of powerful allies, got pulped, and the brave rebellion of the Third Macedonian War, where the Greeks got pulped, and the gigantic eruption of nationalist indignation and noble pride, which was the Fourth Macedonian War (in which the Greeks got pulped), well if you set that aside, the Greeks did quite well against the Romans, don't you think?

Of course you must have eventually gotten the upper hand and thrown them out cuz they aren't there anymore.

Oh wait, i forgot, the Muslims did that. I think the Greeks got pulped in the process too. No wonder they are so angry about everything.

Anyhow, this quite silly and off topic, and we should return to the original topic. Oh, wait, damn, the original topic was just a silly as this one. Never mind.
daelm

Post by daelm »

Nosta wrote:I know that some of the issues raised by my question were discussed on other topics, but i still dont get certaing things.

First, let me put the question: is there a better teaching and/or sutra than all the others? If you read Lotus Sutra for example (i toke this info from wikipedia): Chapter ten ".. Medicine King, now I say to you, I have preached various sutras, and among those sutras the Lotus is foremost!"

Chapter fourteen states:

"Among the sutras, it holds the highest place."

Now, reading the sutras regarding Amitabha/Sukkhavati, one may find thats the most important thing that Buddha taught. Seeking inside other sutras, probably you may find similar things, etc.

I know that there are 84000 Dharmas, etc, etc and that Buddha taught thousands of dharmas so everybody can choose the best practice to him/herself, etc, but if thats true, why the need to say "That sutra is the best, sutra xyz is the foremost, etc"? That will make people like me get confused? Wasnt better to say "All the sutras are good, choose the one that fits best on your life"?

Thanks

the most important teaching is that liberation is real and possible. it pervades all systems and transcends arguments about this sutra and that text. without understanding that teaching every other is meaningless.

d
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

catmoon wrote:romans... romans.... oh yes I remember them. Irritating fellows, we had to beat the crap out of them and kick them out of the country. Seemed to think they owned it for some reason. I assume your ancestors had to do the same?

I mean, like if you ignore the First Macedonian War, which wasn't really against Greece, you know, and the Second Macedonian War, where the Greeks got pulped, and the Seleucid War, where the Greeks, with the help of powerful allies, got pulped, and the brave rebellion of the Third Macedonian War, where the Greeks got pulped, and the gigantic eruption of nationalist indignation and noble pride, which was the Fourth Macedonian War (in which the Greeks got pulped), well if you set that aside, the Greeks did quite well against the Romans, don't you think?

Of course you must have eventually gotten the upper hand and thrown them out cuz they aren't there anymore.

Oh wait, i forgot, the Muslims did that. I think the Greeks got pulped in the process too. No wonder they are so angry about everything.

Anyhow, this quite silly and off topic, and we should return to the original topic. Oh, wait, damn, the original topic was just a silly as this one. Never mind.
Step on your tails did I?
greeks.jpg
greeks.jpg (34.56 KiB) Viewed 3110 times

catmoon
Former staff member

Post by catmoon »

gregkavarnos wrote:Step on your tail did I?
Nope. Just an opportunity for comedy which I could not let slip by. You not laughing? Always so serious dem Greeks.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

masks.png
masks.png (76.12 KiB) Viewed 3078 times
Seriously comic or comically serious? :tongue:

muni

Post by muni »

biggest? The releasing one liberates. Liberating reveals the process of release!
Holding on apprehended concepts not.

"Guarding knowledge is not a good way to understand. Understanding means to throw away your knowledge. You have to be able to transcend your knowledge the way people climb a ladder. If you are on the fifth step of a ladder and think that you are very high, there is no hope for you to climb to the sixth. The technique is to release. The Buddhist way of understanding is always letting go of our views and knowledge in order to transcend". Thich Nhat Hanh.
Dave The Seeker

Post by Dave The Seeker »

In a teaching from Lama Yeshe
Lord Buddha himself exhorted his students not to get attached to his teachings: "If I give you this teaching, promise me that you won't get attached to it." Can you imagine? Lord Buddha's teachings are incredible, his methods are universal, but still we should not get attached to them. He even said that we should not get attached to enlightenment, nirvana, or inner freedom; we should practice without attachment.
So is there really a "biggest" teaching other than non-attachment?

Kindest wishes, Dave
Everyday problems teach us to have a realistic attitude.
They teach us that life is what life is; flawed.
Yet with tremendous potential for joy and fulfillment.
~Lama Surya Das~

If your path teaches you to act and exert yourself correctly and leads to spiritual realizations such as love, compassion and wisdom then obviously it's worthwhile.
~Lama Thubten Yeshe~

One whose mind is freed does not argue with anyone, he does not dispute with anyone. He makes use of the conventional terms of the world without clinging to them
~The Buddha~
Aura

Post by Aura »

The biggest teaching
is always the teaching
that one truly has not yet learned!
Quiet Heart

Post by Quiet Heart »

:smile:
If you mean "What is the best teaching?"", here's a story dealing with that idea.

Once a rich man had to go on a long trip leaving his family alone while he was gone. Being worried about his family while he was gone, he asked his servant to take special care of their health while he was away. His servant promised hin he would do that.
After a few months, as the rich man was coming home, he saw his servant running down the road toward him.
"Master", his servant said, "I am very sorry, but I have failed your trust. Some kind of a fever has afected your family. I fear they have all gone crazy with that fever."
"What is the effects of this strange fever?', the rich man asked.
"Well", said the servant, "each person in your family seems to be affected differently. Your wife for example. thinks only of jewels and gold. All day she counts her gold coins again and again. Your eldest daughter, on the other hand, dreams only of romance...she thinks only of love all day. Your children only want to play with their toys all day...they will not go to school and study their lessons. Each person in your house seems to be affected differently by this strange fever."
"But have you had the doctor there?", the rich man asked.
"Yes, I have", said the servant, "and the doctor has said it is all the same fever, just affecting them all differently. The doctor gave me medicine to give to your family....but they will not take it to cure themselves."
"Then let me see what I can do", said the rich man.
So when he arrived home, he first took the medicine to his wife. Knowing she was obsessed with gold, he told her that the medicine would make her rich if she took it. She took the medicine, and soon was cured.
Then he went to his eldest daughter, who thought only of love. He told her that the medicine would bring her true love. She took it, and she was also cured.
In the same way he cured his children by telling them that the nedicine was like a toy that they would enjoy playing with.
When they were all cured his family thanked him for bringing them that particular medicine that was made exactly for them...to cure their particular fever.
The rich man never told them his secret...that the medicine each one took was exacttly the same medcine...and only because their perception was wrong due to their fever...did they believe that each medicine was different and specifically designed for them.
Of course, once they took that medicine, no mater for whatever reason they took it, they lost their fever...and then they saw clearly.

And that is the story of the "best teaching".
Shame on you Shakyamuni for setting the precedent of leaving home.
Did you think it was not there--
in your wife's lovely face
in your baby's laughter?
Did you think you had to go elsewhere (simply) to find it?
from - Judyth Collin
The Layman's Lament
From What Book, 1998, p. 52
Edited by Gary Gach
Nosta

Post by Nosta »

gregkavarnos wrote:
catmoon wrote:.
Step on your tails did I?
greeks.jpg

I really hope that Greece can survive to the new Monster: Germany Government.
We, the weak ones, must join the hands against such powerful countries seeking more and more power even if that means giving a shot (so to say) to the people.

But we in Portugal cannot complain: people seems to act like sheeps! At least in Greece you give the hell of a fight!

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”