Dzogchen, Buddhist and non-Buddhist teachings...

mindyourmind

Re: Dzogchen, Buddhist and non-Buddhist teachings...

Post by mindyourmind »

Darmosiel wrote:
catmoon wrote:
dumbbombu wrote:sorry, not getting it. :shrug:

isn't that akin to saying it doesn't matter what you follow as it all leads to enlightenment? apologies if i'm wrong.
Suppose you go down to the local Baptist church and tell the pastor, "Your teachings, and all of Christianity, indeed all religious teachings, come in the end, to a final, simple thing; the teachings of Dzogchen." Do you think he would agree?
:lol: Because if you said that you would be wrong. Dzogchen is like reaching the Ph.D level of study when all you have learned before falls into place and you become (hopefully) a Realized being. But, one can study, study, and study, and never each Enlightenment. Why do you think that is?

Because one spends too much time on internet chat forums ? :stirthepot:
Dualism is the real root of our suffering and all of our conflicts.

Namkhai Norbu
heart

Post by heart »

Darmosiel wrote: But, one can study, study, and study, and never each Enlightenment. Why do you think that is?
Study is not enough, you have to practice. You have to get the instructions and apply them for a very long time.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

catmoon wrote:Did you mean to say "cause" instead of consequence?

The idea that Dharma is the cause and Dzogchen the result can't possibly be universal, simply because the are billions of Buddhists who are not Dzogchenpas.
All Buddhas are Dzogchenpas. :twisted:
catmoon
Former staff member

Post by catmoon »

Namdrol wrote:

The idea that Dharma is the cause and Dzogchen the result can't possibly be universal, simply because the are billions of Buddhists who are not Dzogchenpas.
Would that include the Mormon Buddhas? :tongue:
Sergeant Schultz knew everything there was to know.
krodha

Post by krodha »

catmoon wrote:
Namdrol wrote:

Would that include the Mormon Buddhas? :tongue:
All the Mormon Buddhas! Except for Mitt Romney... Because he's a Mormon sh*thead. Zing! Politics and religion in the same post, this thread just became officially inappropriate for dinner table/first date discussion. You've been warned out of compassion to avoid slappings from mothers / potential lovers.
catmoon
Former staff member

Post by catmoon »

Dayum, I've been modded!
Sergeant Schultz knew everything there was to know.
mint

Post by mint »

"I must become God and God must become me, so completely that we share the same "I" eternally. Our truest "I" is God."
Meister Eckhart
Dronma

Post by Dronma »

So much analysis always gives more confusion. :rolleye:
I suggest more intellectual minimalism... :meditate:
The sound of s i l e n c e.....
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

mint wrote:"I must become God and God must become me, so completely that we share the same "I" eternally. Our truest "I" is God."
Meister Eckhart
relevance?
treehuggingoctopus

Post by treehuggingoctopus »

mint wrote:"I must become God and God must become me, so completely that we share the same "I" eternally. Our truest "I" is God."
Meister Eckhart
Btw, Mint, could you give the quote's exact source?
Générosité de l’invisible.
Notre gratitude est infinie.
Le critère est l’hospitalité.

Edmond Jabès
Sönam

Post by Sönam »

Meister Eckhart
Pure garbage, totaly irrelevant in a buddhist forum ...

Sönam
By understanding everything you perceive from the perspective of the view, you are freed from the constraints of philosophical beliefs.
By understanding that any and all mental activity is meditation, you are freed from arbitrary divisions between formal sessions and postmeditation activity.
- Longchen Rabjam -
Lhug-Pa

Post by Lhug-Pa »

But it's fun to compare quotes though:

Chögyal Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche wrote:"Reading the Kunjed Gyalpo you will often come across the word "I": "I am the nature of all phenomena," "I am the root of existence," and so on. This "I" is your true state: the primordial Buddha, the supreme source of manifestation."
Of course the two quotes are most likely coming from two totally different views.

Hey Mint, have you ever heard of Jakob/Jacob Boehme/Böhme/Behmen and Johann Georg Gichtel? They were European Christians during the 16th/17th Centuries who had to have had some level of Yogic/Gnostic realization. They were describing Chakras which was probably unheard of in Europe back then (Theosophia Practica by Johann Gichtel):

Last edited by Lhug-Pa on Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.
JinpaRangdrol

Post by JinpaRangdrol »

How are eternalism and strict duality supposed to lead to a recognition of our non-dual nature? Can a Christian attain enlightenment? Sure. But that doesn't mean they will, or that the odds are in their favor. As far as being a Dzogchenpa and an Eternalist, it simply doesn't make sense. Once you have a direct experience of the nature of mind, to continue believing in God, or the concrete reality of good and evil, would require massive amounts of cognitive dissonance. To imply that Christian, Jewish, or Muslim practice is actually leading to a realization of the Great Perfection is rather disrespectful to those traditions.
Dronma

Post by Dronma »

JinpaRangdrol wrote:How are eternalism and strict duality supposed to lead to a recognition of our non-dual nature? Can a Christian attain enlightenment? Sure. But that doesn't mean they will, or that the odds are in their favor. As far as being a Dzogchenpa and an Eternalist, it simply doesn't make sense. Once you have a direct experience of the nature of mind, to continue believing in God, or the concrete reality of good and evil, would require massive amounts of cognitive dissonance. To imply that Christian, Jewish, or Muslim practice is actually leading to a realization of the Great Perfection is rather disrespectful to those traditions.
I agree with JinpaRangdrol.
Of course, all beings (not only humans) have the primordial potentiality to be fully awakened. But this is the root (basis), then follow the different paths and each of them leads to the completion of a goal.
The ultimate goal of aforementioned religions is Τheosis (Greek language is very accurate in philosophical concepts, so Τheosis means to "become one with the God or Gods" - hence Theosophia= wisdom of God/Gods). The ultimate goal of Dzogchen (and let me say of the whole Vajrayana) is Enlightenment = Full Awakening = Great Liberation = Total Perfection.
Do they sound the same? ;)
Last edited by Dronma on Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The sound of s i l e n c e.....
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Dronma wrote:
Do they sound the same?
Not at all.

Return to “Dzogchen”