Yantra Yoga - 2 DVDs set

Lhug-Pa

Re: Yantra Yoga - 2 DVDs set

Post by Lhug-Pa »

Thanks YogaDude :thumbsup:

I would have gotten to that part had I just been more patient.

Same with this question:

Lhug-Pa wrote:Do the two two-disc volumes (four discs) have everything that's on the older The Eight Movements-Yantra Yoga DVD?
Of which the answer seems to be yes, because apparently "The Eight Movements of Yantra Yoga" is simply a term for the eight conditions of the breath or Lungsang — Purifying the Prāna.

Although maybe the older DVD has some other things on it—besides Lungsang—that are not on the newer DVD's....
YogaDude11

Post by YogaDude11 »

I wonder, can we do the yantra yoga practice more then 1 time per day? Is there any limits?
florin

Post by florin »

padma norbu wrote:
Pero wrote:
When I learn it, I'm going to come back here and speak freely on the subject.
In which case you will be breaking your samaya.
No, because I was thinking more along the lines of "I could have learned that from a DVD no problem." etc.
Pero wrote:
I have the Breathe DVD, by the way. It does not explain kumbhaka. It also seems to be quite a long routine, very slow and gentle. Not something I can see myself ever doing.
There is also a short routine (20 minutes I think). But if you can't dedicate at least this much daily then perhaps better you forget about kumbhaka.
Listen, Mr. Man, I have already passed up several opportunities to learn kumbhaka. The fact is, if I was going to dedicate a block of time to something, it would be something that interests me. Kumbhaka interests me more than the Breathe video. The Five Tibetan Rites interests me more than the Breathe video and that's probably not even Tibetan, I guess (seems to be some controversy about it, anyway. But, I've done it before and I know it works wonders, keeps people healthy, young, vibrant, flexible, etc.).
There is no kumbaka without undertanding and proficiency in the at least 8 movements and first group of yantra since these are the elements one needs to develop those parts of the body needed and used so much in khumbaka.

In other words khumbaka cannot be established without getting your body well prepared beforehand.
Dronma

Post by Dronma »

alpha wrote: There is no kumbaka without undertanding and proficiency in the at least 8 movements and first group of yantra since these are the elements one needs to develop those parts of the body needed and used so much in khumbaka.

In other words khumbaka cannot be established without getting your body well prepared beforehand.
Exactly! :thumbsup:
From my little experience I know that often people have strange ideas about what it is khumbaka or what it is not... ;)
The sound of s i l e n c e.....
florin

Post by florin »

YogaDude11 wrote:I wonder, can we do the yantra yoga practice more then 1 time per day? Is there any limits?
The best thing to do is check with your instructor.
But i think that the general ideea is to pay attention to your limitations and work around that.
YogaDude11

Post by YogaDude11 »

Hey Alpha, Are you a long time practitioner of Yantra Yoga? If so, would it be ok to ask you some questions?
padma norbu wrote:
Pero wrote:
When I learn it, I'm going to come back here and speak freely on the subject.
In which case you will be breaking your samaya.

There is no kumbaka without undertanding and proficiency in the at least 8 movements and first group of yantra since these are the elements one needs to develop those parts of the body needed and used so much in khumbaka.

florin

Post by florin »

i have started practising formally only recently.
so, no ...i cant give advice.

but on the yantrayoga website there is a list of about 50 or so instructors from all over the world and you can try contacting one of them .they may be able to help.
florin

Post by florin »

According to the view expressed in Precious Vase , Yantra Yoga is an indispensable element for the integration of the profound essence of the teaching in the three doors ,body, voice and mind.

If yantra yoga is considered as part of the secondary practices of Dzogchen how can we understand the view expressed in PV as being absolutely necessary?
Lhug-Pa

Post by Lhug-Pa »

The Yantra Yoga book mentions that it is good to massage the body with alcohol. Does anyone know what type of alcohol is best for this?

And the text mentions that hardwood floors along with a non-spongy Yoga mat or blanket is best for Yantra Yoga; although is it okay to work with circumstances such that we are doing it on carpet (which doesn't seem to have too much padding beneath it) with a wool Yoga blanket?
deepbluehum

Post by deepbluehum »

Lhug-Pa wrote:The Yantra Yoga book mentions that it is good to massage the body with alcohol. Does anyone know what type of alcohol is best for this?

And the text mentions that hardwood floors along with a non-spongy Yoga mat or blanket is best for Yantra Yoga; although is it okay to work with circumstances such that we are doing it on carpet (which doesn't seem to have too much padding beneath it) with a wool Yoga blanket?
I don't know where I heard it, but I remember beer mentioned. Actually, beer mixed with honey.
Lhug-Pa

Post by Lhug-Pa »

Like a higher alcohol-content barley-wine beer mixed with honey?

Thanks for the suggestion Deepbluehum. :cheers:
Lhug-Pa

Post by Lhug-Pa »

Alpha, I think it is implied that there are basically three types of practices:

1) The Main Practice:

Guru Yoga

2) Indispensable secondary practices:

Such as Song of the Vajra, Yantra Yoga; and perhaps Ganapuja and Rushen.

3) All other secondary practices.
simhanada

Post by simhanada »

Lhug-Pa wrote:Alpha, I think it is implied that there are basically three types of practices:

1) The Main Practice:

Guru Yoga

2) Indispensable secondary practices:

Such as Song of the Vajra, Yantra Yoga; and perhaps Ganapuja and Rushen.

3) All other secondary practices.
I thought it was more

Main practice:
Ati yoga, which yantra is part of. As are the rushens, semdzins, guru yoga etc

Secondary practices:
Anuyoga, mahayoga, sutra etc
Basically anything that isn't ati
heart

Post by heart »

Main practice: Semde, Longde and Manngakde

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
Lhug-Pa

Post by Lhug-Pa »

After attending last night's webcast I think it's safe to say that the open, directed, closed, contracted, etc. holds (i.e. the basic holds of Yantra Yoga) and the basic Kumbhaka explained on the non-restricted Yantra Yoga DVD's are the only ones that should be done without qualified in-person instruction. Without the latter said instruction, all the other more elaborate Pranayamas explained in the Yantra Yoga book (even though it is not restricted) such as constricting the glottis, bringing the winds into the central channel, etc. should not be done at all huh.
YogaDude11

Post by YogaDude11 »

Is the webcast open to anyone or do you have to be a member?
Bhusuku

Post by Bhusuku »

It's open: http://www.shangshunginstitute.net/webcast/index.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

However, you're a little late, tomorrow's the last session.
Dechen Norbu

Post by Dechen Norbu »

But there will be others. Just inform yourself about the schedule.
With a little effort you can attend teachings all year round.
Bhusuku

Post by Bhusuku »

In fact, YogaDude, the next webcast will start next week on wednesday - and it'll be a very interesting one, if I might add, since AFAIK, Rinpoche didn't do a special retreat on the SoV in quite a long time.
Lhug-Pa

Post by Lhug-Pa »

On second thought, the rough or indirect breathing (constricting of the glottis) should be pretty easy to get the hang of, at least as applied to the Pranayama of the preliminary Tsadul and the Pranayama of the First Series of Yantras (The Four Characteristic Conditions). So these two said Pranayamas, and The Four Profound Applications (insofar as it is explained on the non-restricted Yantra Yoga DVD's that is) of the Second Series, and maybe even the Third Series Pranayama, should be okay to apply without in-person instruction.

The Fourth Series and Fifth Series Pranayamas however, I don't think I'd try without precise instructions from a qualified instructor.

Return to “Dzogchen”