Buddhism and space

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
catmoon
Former staff member

Buddhism and space

Post by catmoon »

Space is a fundamental concept in Buddhism. As the ground of existence, it is one of the very few things that is eternal and unchanging. Contemplation of space is.. well spacious and mind expanding. Whether we do it in silent meditation, or with Saturn 5 rockets, or just by trotting along a forest path, the urge to explore space is always there. It is truly fundamental.

In the science of quantum mechanics, the fundamental nature of space becomes apparent. Merely by positing a space composed of three dimensions and something existing in it, wave functions can be deduced, particle interactions elucidated, indeed the whole of physics falls out out of this single thing, space. Even so, we don't really understand space, we can't say what it is made of, we can't say where it is, and we can say almost nothing about its properties. What is needed is direct knowledge, insight. And the Space Sphere has that knowledge.

The Space Sphere is the ground of non-dual knowledge. By drawing on the wisdom of the Space Sphere, we can gain a deep and intuitive understanding of space, see why it drives us to explore, know how it shapes the very processes of thought itself. But first, we need to access the Space Sphere. At one time this would mean spending years in retreat, perhaps decades. But I have discovered an unbelievable video that some genius has posted that takes you into direct contact with the Space Sphere. Basically, the knowledge of the Space Sphere is now freely available on the internet.

So without further ado, here's the link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVn1oQL9sWg
Sergeant Schultz knew everything there was to know.
Malcolm

Re: Buddhism and space

Post by Malcolm »

[quote="catmoon"]Space is a fundamental concept in Buddhism. /quote]

There are two kinds of space talked about in Buddhism -- unconditioned space which is simple absence of obsctruction and conditioned space, which means cavities.

N
plwk

Post by plwk »

Just the space for ya ole catty..

Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Only a physics geek would find something of value in that "video"! :tongue:
AND you have the gall to then complain about meme comics!
Must be some "in" joke that I am completely missing.
Plato was discoursing on his theory of ideas and, pointing to the cups on the table before him, said while there are many cups in the world, there is only one `idea' of a cup, and this cupness precedes the existence of all particular cups.

"I can see the cup on the table," interupted Diogenes, "but I can't see the `cupness'".

"That's because you have the eyes to see the cup," said Plato, "but", tapping his head with his forefinger, "you don't have the intellect with which to comprehend `cupness'."

Diogenes walked up to the table, examined a cup and, looking inside, asked, "Is it empty?"

Plato nodded.

"Where is the `emptiness' which procedes this empty cup?" asked Diogenes.

Plato allowed himself a few moments to collect his thoughts, but Diogenes reached over and, tapping Plato's head with his finger, said "I think you will find here is the `emptiness'."
diogenes and alexander the great.jpg
diogenes and alexander the great.jpg (11.99 KiB) Viewed 1406 times
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Astus
Former staff member

Post by Astus »

Nagarjuna says it all.

Know therefore that space
Is neither existent nor non-existent
Neither a characteristic nor characterisable
And that the other five are the same as space.

(MMK 5.7, tr. B.C. Bocking)

Therefore, space is not a thing;
it is not a non-thing;
it is not something characterized;
it is not a characteristic.
The other five elements too are similar to space.

(MMK 5.7, tr. S. Batchelor)
1 Myriad dharmas are only mind.
Mind is unobtainable.
What is there to seek?

2 If the Buddha-Nature is seen,
there will be no seeing of a nature in any thing.

3 Neither cultivation nor seated meditation —
this is the pure Chan of Tathagata.

4 With sudden enlightenment to Tathagata Chan,
the six paramitas and myriad means
are complete within that essence.

1 Huangbo, T2012Ap381c1 2 Nirvana Sutra, T374p521b3; tr. Yamamoto 3 Mazu, X1321p3b23; tr. J. Jia 4 Yongjia, T2014p395c14; tr. from "The Sword of Wisdom"
catmoon
Former staff member

Post by catmoon »

I cannot help but think that most people either have not read the OP in its entirety, or have not followed the link, or have not watched the vid in its entirety, or have failed to track the dates on the posts.

Which I find immensely entertaining.
Sergeant Schultz knew everything there was to know.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Buddha damned April fools gags!
dog chases tail.jpg
dog chases tail.jpg (8.69 KiB) Viewed 1326 times
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde

Return to “Lounge”