Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

Sally Gross

Re: Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

Post by Sally Gross » Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:00 pm

Jikan wrote:Hi Sally,

It's good that you're practicing to the best of your ability. Your visualization will become sharper and more stable with practice and experience.

it helps to review the instructions for practice, too: remember the essential elements, and trust that all are present even if they seem a bit wobbly.
Thank you very much indeed, Jikan.
Dukkham eva hi, na koci dukkhito,
kaarako na, kiriyaa va vijjati,
atthi nibbuti, na nibbuto pumaa,
maggam atthi, gamako na vijjati

Suffering there certainly is, but no sufferer,
no doer, though certainly the deed is found.
peace is achieved, but no-one's appeased,
the way is walked, but no walker's to be found.

- Visuddhimagga XVI, 90

Dronma

Post by Dronma » Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:13 pm

Sally Gross wrote: The issue of visualisation has been troubling me, as a beginner who is not used to this type of practice.
Sally, maybe you'd like to see this book:
"An Introduction to the Practice of Contemplation"
http://www.shangshungstore.org/index.ph ... etail&p=42

I think it can be very helpful. :smile:
"My view is as vast as the sky, but my actions are finer than flour"
~ Padmasambhava ~

Sally Gross

Post by Sally Gross » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:08 pm

Dronma wrote: Sally, maybe you'd like to see this book:
"An Introduction to the Practice of Contemplation"
http://www.shangshungstore.org/index.ph ... etail&p=42

I think it can be very helpful. :smile:
Thank you, Dronma. I've ordered it on your advice. :bow:

- Visuddhimagga XVI, 90

kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu » Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:52 am

Sally Gross wrote:
Lhug-Pa wrote: In Deity practices, when we visualize a Mantra going clockwise or counterclockwise, how important is it to eventually be able to visualize each letter in detail?

Is it sufficient at first to simply imagine that there are colored Tibetan letters (either facing inside or outside) rotating that represent the given Mantra?
The issue of visualisation has been troubling me, as a beginner who is not used to this type of practice.
Have you seen Padmasambhava's advice on visualization? It's basically the instruction given on page 10 of this pdf document.

Kirt
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche

Sally Gross

Post by Sally Gross » Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:14 am

kirtu wrote:
Have you seen Padmasambhava's advice on visualization? It's basically the instruction given on page 10 of this pdf document.
Thank you, Kirt. I've copied it and looked at the relevant portion, which is clearly very helpful indeed.

Best wishes

Sally

- Visuddhimagga XVI, 90

mzaur

Post by mzaur » Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:30 am

Introduction to Practice of Contemplation is a wonderful book! I would also recommend Rushens Semsdinz Lojongs and Guru Yoga books. Cycle of Day and Night and Dream Yoga are wonderful too.

Fa Dao

Post by Fa Dao » Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:35 am

Does anybody know what Rinpoche will be covering in the upcoming retreat here in a few days?
"But if you know how to observe yourself, you will discover your real nature, the primordial state, the state of Guruyoga, and then all will become clear because you will have discovered everything"-Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche

simhanada

Post by simhanada » Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:50 am

Fa Dao wrote:Does anybody know what Rinpoche will be covering in the upcoming retreat here in a few days?
The one at Namgyalgar South? Its the Longsal Teaching on the 25 Spaces of Samantabhadra.

simhanada

Post by simhanada » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:00 am

And I'm not sure if anyone has posted this yet.

2012: 6th -12th April
Namgyalgar South retreat.
The teaching for this retreat is Longsal 25 Spaces of Samanta Bhadra. It goes in webcast openly.

6th April 4-6pm(GMT+10). Start the retreat, Introduce the retreat teaching, giving trilung of Short Gana Puja and we do Gana Puja for the full moon.
7th April 10-12am. Giving the teaching of 1st group ofFive Spaces.
8th April 10-12am. Giving the teaching of 2nd group of Five Spaces.
9th April 10-12am. Giving the teaching of 3rd group ofFive Spaces.
10th April 10-12am. Giving the teaching of 4th group ofFive Spaces.
11th April 10-12am. Giving the teaching of 5th group of Five Spaces.
4-5pm. We do our Gana Puja for the end ofthis retreat and so on.
12th April 10-12am. Giving some advices for the dailylife practices and tridlungs of collective practices and so on. We finishthis retreat with a practice of Ati Guru Yoga altogether.

Fa Dao

Post by Fa Dao » Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:05 pm

Wonderful, thank you!!
I was also wondering if anyone knows if one needs a special transmission for 2 different books on the SSI website. I am a DC member and have been watching most of the webcasts for almost a year now. The books are:
#1 The Four Contemplations of the Semde
#2 The Four Choshag. The Practice of Tregchod
"But if you know how to observe yourself, you will discover your real nature, the primordial state, the state of Guruyoga, and then all will become clear because you will have discovered everything"-Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche

Pero

Post by Pero » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:08 pm

simhanada wrote: The teaching for this retreat is Longsal 25 Spaces of Samanta Bhadra.
:twothumbsup:
Fa Dao wrote: I was also wondering if anyone knows if one needs a special transmission for 2 different books on the SSI website. I am a DC member and have been watching most of the webcasts for almost a year now. The books are:
#1 The Four Contemplations of the Semde
#2 The Four Choshag. The Practice of Tregchod
I don't think you need a special transmission to read them.
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar

taiyaki

Post by taiyaki » Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:36 pm

Hey guys!

I just registered and paid to become a dc member. Do they (tsegyalgar) usually take a while to respond back with member logins and such? Or am I supposed to get that from somewhere else.

Also thinking about attending a retreat on july 4th in MA.

Should I go?

Thanks guys.

Lhasa

Post by Lhasa » Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:59 am

Hello Everyone,
First post, I've been reading for awhile. I'm following the current webcast retreat on the 25 Spaces. Does anyone know where I can find the text for the mantras, or pm them to me? I've received the WWT in March and have both the Tun and Guruyoga books. If the mantras are in there, would someone point them out to me?
Thanks
Lhasa

simhanada

Post by simhanada » Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:12 am

Lhasa wrote:Hello Everyone,
First post, I've been reading for awhile. I'm following the current webcast retreat on the 25 Spaces. Does anyone know where I can find the text for the mantras, or pm them to me? I've received the WWT in March and have both the Tun and Guruyoga books. If the mantras are in there, would someone point them out to me?
Thanks
Lhasa
You can find the text of the mantras on the webcast page under the files section. From the namgyalgar retreat last year, The essence of lochen file.

Lhug-Pa

Post by Lhug-Pa » Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:15 am

http://shangshung.org/store/index.php?m ... cts_id=303" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.shangshunguk.org/v1/index.ph ... &Itemid=44" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Is the Thodrol or Thos-Grol Practice of the 25 Thigles somehow related to the 25 Longchens or Spaces of Samantabhadra Practice, or is it pretty much a totally different practice?

Also, does anyone remember if Rinpoche has given the Lung for the Invocation of Samantabhadra in any recent webcasts? (that is if Rinpoche actually does give just the Lung for the Invocation of Samantabhadra)

Simhanada wrote:You can find the text of the mantras on the webcast page under the files section. From the namgyalgar retreat last year, The essence of lochen file.
Thanks Simhanada! :anjali: I didn't think to look there. :oops:
Last edited by Lhug-Pa on Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:25 am, edited 3 times in total.

Lhasa

Post by Lhasa » Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:16 am

Thank you! :smile:

Lhug-Pa

Post by Lhug-Pa » Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:14 am

I think this answers one of my questions:

http://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.ph ... 417#p89752" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

dakini_boi

Yeah I thought I'd heard that regarding the said Mantras, and definitely the second part of what you said.

Chögyal Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche recently said that we can even visualize Latin letters if we need to at first.

Pero

Post by Pero » Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:19 am

Lhug-Pa wrote:http://shangshung.org/store/index.php?m ... cts_id=303

http://www.shangshunguk.org/v1/index.ph ... &Itemid=44" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Is the Thodrol or Thos-Grol Practice of the 25 Thigles somehow related to the 25 Longchens or Spaces of Samantabhadra Practice, or is it pretty much a totally different practice?
Yes those are all synonyms. Those CDs have the Changchub Dorje terma on them though, the mantras differ a little.
Also, does anyone remember if Rinpoche has given the Lung for the Invocation of Samantabhadra in any recent webcasts? (that is if Rinpoche actually does give just the Lung for the Invocation of Samantabhadra)
He doesn't. He'll give a teaching on it soon
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar

Kilaya.

Post by Kilaya. » Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:06 am

simhanada wrote:
Lhasa wrote:Hello Everyone,
Thanks
Lhasa
You can find the text of the mantras on the webcast page under the files section. From the namgyalgar retreat last year, The essence of lochen file.
I was just looking for that, thank you!
Look at those charlatans, madly engaged
in fervent argument.
- Milarepa

Pero

Post by Pero » Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:37 pm

Rinpoche's revised schedule is posted on http://www.melong.com/retreats.html. Lot's of retreats, all webcasts, and almost half of them are teachings from the Longsal cycle. :woohoo:
- Shabkar