Altar in Bedroom

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
Konchog1

Re: Altar in Bedroom

Post by Konchog1 »

Perhaps a shed in your backyard could serve as a private shrine room...
Equanimity is the ground. Love is the moisture. Compassion is the seed. Bodhicitta is the result.

-Paraphrase of Khensur Rinpoche Lobsang Tsephel citing the Guhyasamaja Tantra

"All memories and thoughts are the union of emptiness and knowing, the Mind.
Without attachment, self-liberating, like a snake in a knot.
Through the qualities of meditating in that way,
Mental obscurations are purified and the dharmakaya is attained."

-Ra Lotsawa, All-pervading Melodious Drumbeats
Dave The Seeker

Post by Dave The Seeker »

Thank you for that idea. Never thought of that option.
I'll be working on an out building here soon, and it has heat in it to. As I live in NE North America, it does get chilly, OK cold lol.
I will surly see where I could put a Shrine room in there.

Kindest wishes, Dave
Everyday problems teach us to have a realistic attitude.
They teach us that life is what life is; flawed.
Yet with tremendous potential for joy and fulfillment.
~Lama Surya Das~

If your path teaches you to act and exert yourself correctly and leads to spiritual realizations such as love, compassion and wisdom then obviously it's worthwhile.
~Lama Thubten Yeshe~

One whose mind is freed does not argue with anyone, he does not dispute with anyone. He makes use of the conventional terms of the world without clinging to them
~The Buddha~
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

I had a garden shed built in the back yard, and fitted it out as a shrine room/practice room.....it's served me well. It's detached from the house, and big enough to sleep in, if one is doing retreat...and I can fit a few people in there to do tsoks and such, at times. If you have the space and resources, I'd highly recommend it.
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
Blue Garuda

Post by Blue Garuda »

conebeckham wrote:I had a garden shed built in the back yard, and fitted it out as a shrine room/practice room.....it's served me well. It's detached from the house, and big enough to sleep in, if one is doing retreat...and I can fit a few people in there to do tsoks and such, at times. If you have the space and resources, I'd highly recommend it.
You have a shed?

I'd love a shed.

Everyone should have a shed. I'm sure it is written somewhere in the European HUman Rights legislation!

I'm very fortunate in having a large alcove with my shrine etc. in the living room. I use a bamboo curtain to close it off.

No sex takes place in the living room except for the dog shagging cushions or the legs of visitors. ;)
Left
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

My profile pic is from inside the shed....
Here's my ladies inside the shed.....

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
Blue Garuda

Post by Blue Garuda »

conebeckham wrote:My profile pic is from inside the shed....
Here's my ladies inside the shed.....

Wondeful, thank you. More of a Gompa than a shed methinks!
Left
PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

That would be a shedra, wouldn't it?
:tongue:
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook produces outward insight.
Dave The Seeker

Thanks a lot for the pictures and more ideas. That shed looks awesome!!!! :thumbsup:
About what size is your shed?
I am hoping to build a room 8ft x 8ft, possibly 10 x 10.
Not sure, the pole barn also has to house all my tools and have a grow room for our winter vegetable production. As well as some working space.
Having a shed would be great as I have the space, but as I said where I live we go below freezing for months at a time, so heat is necessary.
Once again thanks for all the input my friends :namaste:

Kindest wishes, Dave
~Lama Surya Das~

If your path teaches you to act and exert yourself correctly and leads to spiritual realizations such as love, compassion and wisdom then obviously it's worthwhile.
~Lama Thubten Yeshe~

One whose mind is freed does not argue with anyone, he does not dispute with anyone. He makes use of the conventional terms of the world without clinging to them
~The Buddha~
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

It's 10 by 12...max dimensions before you need a permit, here!

Dave The Seeker

Thank you Cone

Kindest wishes, Dave
~Lama Surya Das~

~Lama Thubten Yeshe~

~The Buddha~
Snow Tiger

Post by Snow Tiger »

I now live with my daughter due to the house I was living in being unfit for me to stay in due to mold infection and me having a damaged lung. I have a very small room in this house, which is my living space and my bedroom, I am single, and celibate, so find no harm in having my Shrine in my room. I do use the rest of the house too, But out of respect I would not have my shrine down stairs. I also have lots of smaller Buddha's at my work station which is at the foot of my bed. If I ever do need to use my bed for anything else but sleeping in then I think I may have to cover all of my Buddha's out of respect or is that disrespectful? But then to me shutting them in a cupboard would be just as bad! :namaste:
Devotionary

Post by Devotionary »

My spiritual adviser (a Taiwanese nun from the Chan lineage) told me that Buddhas and Bodhisattvas are not like gods or spirits, who desire only the most magnificent of spaces; that they are compassionate and all-wise, and in fact, have the least hesitation to go to the most terrible, detestable places to save beings. So, having an altar in your room is not at all offensive to them.

On the other hand,the Buddhas and Bodhisattvas will not punish you for breaking the Precepts; however, if you purposefully break the Precepts in front of an altar or Sutra (say, take intoxicants or commit sexual misconduct), the karma would be greater. IN an ordinary, mundane place (like a mall or gas stop restroom, for example) ordinary beings have no recollection of the Triple Gem; however, in front of an altar or temple, one's offenses will include not only the breaking of the Precepts, but also the act of ignoring the Buddhas and Bodhisattvas (in the form of their direct representations).

She summed it up this way: what you cannot do in front of yuor own mother or daughter, will you do it in front of the Buddha or sutras?

In the end, it's all about the spirit of respect. IF you can maintain mindfulness and respect because of a bedroom altar, then it should be no problem.

Thus have I been taught...
Yudron

Post by Yudron »

We have four alters in our house. My two room motes and myself have one in each of our bedrooms. I have one in the living room. The one in the living room is inside a cabinet with doors that close so it does not need to be on view to every delivery guy that comes through, it's opened mainly for group tsogs here.

I offer whatever joy may occur in the bedroom to all the Buddhas and Bodshisattvas of the three times. All tantric yogis have their shrine in their retreat cabin or room as well, because you have to have your own shrine for Mahayoga practices.
dakini_boi

Post by dakini_boi »

Yudron wrote: I offer whatever joy may occur in the bedroom to all the Buddhas and Bodshisattvas of the three times. All tantric yogis have their shrine in their retreat cabin or room as well, because you have to have your own shrine for Mahayoga practices.
Yudron, does the rule against sexual activity in front of Buddha images not apply to tantric practitioners? It seems to me, if you've taken the vow to view your body and elements as buddhas, and to take desire on the path (even in aspiration only), then it doesn't make sense to view sexuality as something that would offend the Buddhas, right?
明安 Myoan
Former staff member

Post by 明安 Myoan »

dakini_boi wrote:
Yudron wrote: I offer whatever joy may occur in the bedroom to all the Buddhas and Bodshisattvas of the three times. All tantric yogis have their shrine in their retreat cabin or room as well, because you have to have your own shrine for Mahayoga practices.
Yudron, does the rule against sexual activity in front of Buddha images not apply to tantric practitioners? It seems to me, if you've taken the vow to view your body and elements as buddhas, and to take desire on the path (even in aspiration only), then it doesn't make sense to view sexuality as something that would offend the Buddhas, right?
You're going to give me a complex! I live in a pretty small apartment and current living arrangements preclude having an altar anywhere but the bedroom... on the shelf of a bookcase, no less. And I'm not gonna start shagging in the kitchen or on the patio :P

My attitude towards it, right or wrong, has been that the Buddha and the Dharma ought to be an element in everything I do. I feel no less gratitude or devotion when I prostrate in front of the same representation of Buddha that I've also had sex in front of. But I'm curious to hear more thoughts on this subject.
Namu Amida Butsu
Snow Tiger

Post by Snow Tiger »

This is what I think, and this is just my opinion, and I do not wish to offend anyone. But if you are making love to the person that you are in love with and that person is in love with you and you respect each other, then I can't see no harm. But if you are just out for a shagg, and just picking anyone up and taking them home and shagging them in front of your Shrine :jawdrop: then I do think that this is disrespectful. :buddha2:
明安 Myoan
Former staff member

Post by 明安 Myoan »

I'd be surprised if anyone here takes strangers home for a shag in front of their Buddha altars. :popcorn:
Namu Amida Butsu
Snow Tiger

Post by Snow Tiger »

duckfiasco wrote:I'd be surprised if anyone here takes strangers home for a shag in front of their Buddha altars. :popcorn:
Well I would certainly hope not!! So like I say I can't see no harm. :thumbsup:
Dave The Seeker

Thanks for all the additional input on this topic.

some great points.

:namaste:
~Lama Surya Das~

~Lama Thubten Yeshe~

~The Buddha~
Yudron

Post by Yudron »

duckfiasco wrote:I'd be surprised if anyone here takes strangers home for a shag in front of their Buddha altars. :popcorn:
:hug: In any event, at my age... unlikely.

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”