Chakras and etc

Discussion of meditation in the Mahayana and Vajrayana traditions.
taiyaki

Chakras and etc

Post by taiyaki »

I've been recently feeling a new chakra point on the spine. It is aligned with the heart chakra.

It seems all my stress throughout the day clumps up there and when it is free and relaxed it feels like a waterfall of sand moving inward.

Since I do not have any formal practice in regards to energy I am kind of stuck asking around for help.

So far my experimentation through meditation has made the third eye, throat, heart, navel (upper and lower), and root chakra noticeable. Note that is merely on the front of the torso.

The back the torso is a recent phenomena.

I am curious if I should find a kundalini yoga teacher or some kind of energy practice. Is this safe?
It seems there is a natural progression of integration.

Would love to hear your suggestions and advice. Thanks.
Dechen Norbu

Re: Chakras and etc

Post by Dechen Norbu »

Hello there :namaste:

Why are you interested in felling your chakras, if you don't mind me asking? Is it an end in itself or why think you should feel them to accomplish another goal?

Best wishes!
Paul

Post by Paul »

taiyaki wrote: I am curious if I should find a kundalini yoga teacher or some kind of energy practice. Is this safe?

This sounds like you are maybe dealing with lung problems. Especially when you say the day's stress seems to stick somewhere.

It can be dangerous to do serious energy practices - they can lead to mental instability or problems with pain etc. There are some gentle practices that you can do such as gentle versions of vase breathing. I rarely see teachers integrate a lot of teachings on lung into their explanations of meditation, but Tsoknyi Rinpoche is excellent at it. You can find a lot of it in his book Open Heart, Open Mind.
Look at the unfathomable spinelessness of man: all the means he's been given to stay alert he uses, in the end, to ornament his sleep. – Rene Daumal
the modern mind has become so limited and single-visioned that it has lost touch with normal perception - John Michell
Lhug-Pa

Post by Lhug-Pa »

Paul wrote:I rarely see teachers integrate a lot of teachings on lung into their explanations of meditation, but Tsoknyi Rinpoche is excellent at it. You can find a lot of it in his book Open Heart, Open Mind.
I've heard this before, thanks for the reminder.

The Tsa-Lung practices explained in Tenzin Wangyal Rinpoche's Awakening the Sacred Body come with some great information on Lung in relation to the Chakras and Contemplation in the Natural State.

Although for them to be effective, one most likely would need to have received Direct Introduction from an authentic Teacher (not necessarily Bönpo only); but as far as I know you don't need a specific transmission to work with the said Tsa-Lung practices found in the mentioned book.

Yantra Yoga is said to be able to untie knots that have formed in the Nadis related to the Heart Chakra as well.
taiyaki

Post by taiyaki »

Dechen Norbu wrote:Hello there :namaste:

Why are you interested in felling your chakras, if you don't mind me asking? Is it an end in itself or why think you should feel them to accomplish another goal?

Best wishes!
There really isn't a goal. It's kind of there. So I've just been playing with them.
I don't even know or understand how they function or what purpose they serve.
But since they are presenting themselves more and more as I relate to them, it seems this is a natural progression.
taiyaki

Post by taiyaki »

Paul wrote:
taiyaki wrote: I am curious if I should find a kundalini yoga teacher or some kind of energy practice. Is this safe?

This sounds like you are maybe dealing with lung problems. Especially when you say the day's stress seems to stick somewhere.

It can be dangerous to do serious energy practices - they can lead to mental instability or problems with pain etc. There are some gentle practices that you can do such as gentle versions of vase breathing. I rarely see teachers integrate a lot of teachings on lung into their explanations of meditation, but Tsoknyi Rinpoche is excellent at it. You can find a lot of it in his book Open Heart, Open Mind.
Thank you, I'll check the book out!
taiyaki

Post by taiyaki »

I watched Chogyal Namkhai Norbu the other day and he gave a practice where you breath in then OM, pause then AH, then breath out hum.
It seems this has been helping with relaxing and opening the chakras more.
Are there specific energy practices in Dzogchen? I know I need a transmission.

Thanks again!
Paul

Post by Paul »

taiyaki wrote:I watched Chogyal Namkhai Norbu the other day and he gave a practice where you breath in then OM, pause then AH, then breath out hum.
It seems this has been helping with relaxing and opening the chakras more.
Vajra recitation is simply amazing. Very simple but very, very effective.
Are there specific energy practices in Dzogchen? I know I need a transmission.
There are lots, such as yantra yoga.
Look at the unfathomable spinelessness of man: all the means he's been given to stay alert he uses, in the end, to ornament his sleep. – Rene Daumal
the modern mind has become so limited and single-visioned that it has lost touch with normal perception - John Michell
Dechen Norbu

Post by Dechen Norbu »

taiyaki wrote:
Dechen Norbu wrote:Hello there :namaste:

Best wishes!
There really isn't a goal. It's kind of there. So I've just been playing with them.
I don't even know or understand how they function or what purpose they serve.
But since they are presenting themselves more and more as I relate to them, it seems this is a natural progression.
OK, I get it. :thumbsup: Thanks for answering.
You're receiving good advice in this thread.
taiyaki

Post by taiyaki »

Lhug-Pa wrote:
Paul wrote:I rarely see teachers integrate a lot of teachings on lung into their explanations of meditation, but Tsoknyi Rinpoche is excellent at it. You can find a lot of it in his book Open Heart, Open Mind.
I've heard this before, thanks for the reminder.

The Tsa-Lung practices explained in Tenzin Wangyal Rinpoche's Awakening the Sacred Body come with some great information on Lung in relation to the Chakras and Contemplation in the Natural State.

Although for them to be effective, one most likely would need to have received Direct Introduction from an authentic Teacher (not necessarily Bönpo only); but as far as I know you don't need a specific transmission to work with the said Tsa-Lung practices found in the mentioned book.

Yantra Yoga is said to be able to untie knots that have formed in the Nadis related to the Heart Chakra as well.
Just finished this book and started to do the practices from the dvd and book.

I can say that my blockage in the back has opened up and I feel much more spaciousness in my body.

Thank you for pointing me in this direction as I've found immediate relief and an awesome practice to help in all aspects of my life.
Lhug-Pa

Post by Lhug-Pa »

That's good to hear Taiyaki. :)

Last night Chögyal Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche explained the dangers of trying to do Tsa-Lung practices without qualified in-person instruction.

Geshe Tenzin Wangyal Rinpoche advises on the DVD that comes with Awakening the Sacred Body that it's best to receive such instruction, but in the actual book he wrote that the reader has his blessings to go ahead and practice them.

So I think it depends on the specific cycle of Tsa-Lung practices. In other words, the specific Tsa-Lung practices explained in Tenzin Wangyal Rinpoche's said book must be easier to apply than the various Tsa-Lung practices taught in the Dzogchen Community of Chögyal Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche.

Return to “Meditation”