The value of regression hypnosis?

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Luke

The value of regression hypnosis?

Post by Luke »

Hi, I have seen many videos about people remembering past lives during hypnosis. This does seem like an easier method of finding out about one's past lives than experiencing them during deep meditation.

What are your opinions about the accuracy of the information about one's past lives that one can get through hypnosis? Do most people just experience imaginary fantasies or are most people actually able to experience their past lives during hypnosis?
Nicholas Weeks

Re: The value of regression hypnosis?

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Fantasies from our minds or from the mind of the hypnotist.

Hypnotism or mesmerism was known in the time of Buddha and before. If it were reliable for knowing past lives, why would Gautama spend all those years in meditation?
May all seek, find & follow the Path of Buddhas.
Josef

Post by Josef »

I don't see any point in knowing about my past lives.
We don't need hypnosis or anything else to know we are very fortunate in this life.
"All phenomena of samsara depend on the mind, so when the essence of mind is purified, samsara is purified. Since the phenomena of nirvana depend on the pristine consciousness of vidyā, because one remains in the immediacy of vidyā, buddhahood arises on its own. All critical points are summarized with those two." - Longchenpa
catmoon
Former staff member

Post by catmoon »

In my opinion, what happens is, the hypnotist and the subject get together, create some interesting imaginations, and then re-label them as factual events.
Sergeant Schultz knew everything there was to know.
Dechen Norbu

Post by Dechen Norbu »

Gullible and fragile people being robbed by professionals without scrupulous that should have their licenses revoked. Crudely speaking, it's a scam.
Luke

Post by Luke »

Will wrote: Hypnotism or mesmerism was known in the time of Buddha and before. If it were reliable for knowing past lives, why would Gautama spend all those years in meditation?
Because his goal went far beyond just remembering past lives, perhaps? Knowing one's past lives does not equal Nirvana.
treehuggingoctopus

Post by treehuggingoctopus »

Luke wrote:Hi, I have seen many videos about people remembering past lives during hypnosis. This does seem like an easier method of finding out about one's past lives than experiencing them during deep meditation.
I honestly doubt you'll find anything useful through any 'regressive' therapies. I know, however, that undergoing them is very likely to result in energy disturbances - as well as much more serious mental problems. One of my friends has nearly managed to get herself confined to a mental institution through indulging in such 'fun'; she's been 'diagnosed' with both mania and schizophrenia and, whatever her shrink means by those words, he is correct in claiming that she is truly seriously ill - so ill as to be perfectly incapable of everyday functioning. Hallucinations, OCD, recurring delusions - you name it.

Keep away. It's dangerous shite.
Générosité de l’invisible.
Notre gratitude est infinie.
Le critère est l’hospitalité.

Edmond Jabès
Anders

Post by Anders »

I think regression hypnosis is a viable method for remembering past lives for some. If you look at the studies, it is compelling. That said, what the studies don't tell you is how many it doesn't work for. The case studies in the books are the must illustrative examples. Far more get much less detail or nothing at all.

I am not sure there is that much to be gained from such regression though, unless you have a heavy karmic pattern that knowledge of the karmic origin might help illuminate.

Regression into the bardo before this life seems like it might be more useful but again, it is very uncertain and if you have the good fortune to have gurus and bodhisattvas monitoring your work here in the saha world, case studies suggest that they often block such things if they think you aren't ripe for it.

And besides one's own qualifications for such regression, there is the fact that many such therapists aren't actually qualified for it either and you end up being led by the therapists own narrative and paying handsomely for it.

One of my own teachers discouraged it unless I felt it was really necessary for all these reasons.
"Even if my body should be burnt to death in the fires of hell
I would endure it for myriad lifetimes
As your companion in practice"

--- Gandavyuha Sutra
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Luke wrote:
Will wrote: Hypnotism or mesmerism was known in the time of Buddha and before. If it were reliable for knowing past lives, why would Gautama spend all those years in meditation?
Because his goal went far beyond just remembering past lives, perhaps? Knowing one's past lives does not equal Nirvana.
Stipulated of course. Yet part of his Bodhi Tree enlightenment was knowing his many past lifetimes. That past lives knowledge only came to fruition from the seed of years of practice, not from regression hypnosis.
Anders

Post by Anders »

Will wrote:That past lives knowledge only came to fruition from the seed of years of practice, not from regression hypnosis.
One method working doesn't rule out another working.

Remembering past lives was not his goal. Even if hypnosis was known and thought to be a viable method for past life regression at the time (I admit, I have never heard of this being current in ancient India) he'd have little incentive to try it, since it wasn't what he was looking for.

--- Gandavyuha Sutra
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Anders: "One method working doesn't rule out another working."

Unwarranted assumption that hypnosis is a method that gives accurate insights into our past lives. Also you seem to be saying that it is just a matter of proper meditative technology to know past lives.

Wisdom and understanding, which Buddha gained under the Tree, are very different than passively letting a hypnotist mind-meld with you to gain a desired objective - "who was I before".
Anders

Post by Anders »

Will wrote:Anders: "One method working doesn't rule out another working."

Unwarranted assumption that hypnosis is a method that gives accurate insights into our past lives.
I don't think it's unwarranted. There has been a fair amount of study on the topic.
Also you seem to be saying that it is just a matter of proper meditative technology to know past lives.

Wisdom and understanding, which Buddha gained under the Tree, are very different than passively letting a hypnotist mind-meld with you to gain a desired objective - "who was I before".
You are conflating things here, Will and it's basically a strawman. You don't need much wisdom and understanding to remember past lives. It's a mundane siddhi. Some people are born with it, others remember parts of it through dreams, others meditate and start remembering (and yes, some are hypnotically regressed too). It doesn't take a mahayogin to have some glimpses of past lives. We're not talking about recollecting billions of lifetimes in one swoop like Shakyamuni did here.

--- Gandavyuha Sutra
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

As you wish Anders; recline on the couch and have fun. :shrug:
Josef

Post by Josef »

Who gives a shit about past lives anyway.
This is the one that matters.
"All phenomena of samsara depend on the mind, so when the essence of mind is purified, samsara is purified. Since the phenomena of nirvana depend on the pristine consciousness of vidyā, because one remains in the immediacy of vidyā, buddhahood arises on its own. All critical points are summarized with those two." - Longchenpa
Anders

Post by Anders »

Will wrote:As you wish Anders; recline on the couch and have fun. :shrug:
Another strawman, Will. If you read my posts, I actually discouraged doing such a thing.

There is room for a bit more nuance between bogus and unreserved approval. The world isn't black and white.

--- Gandavyuha Sutra
Dechen Norbu

Post by Dechen Norbu »

Anders Honore wrote:I think regression hypnosis is a viable method for remembering past lives for some. If you look at the studies, it is compelling. That said, what the studies don't tell you is how many it doesn't work for. The case studies in the books are the must illustrative examples. Far more get much less detail or nothing at all.

I am not sure there is that much to be gained from such regression though, unless you have a heavy karmic pattern that knowledge of the karmic origin might help illuminate.
Agree.
Regression into the bardo before this life seems like it might be more useful but again, it is very uncertain and if you have the good fortune to have gurus and bodhisattvas monitoring your work here in the saha world, case studies suggest that they often block such things if they think you aren't ripe for it.
Interesting. Where have you heard this?
And besides one's own qualifications for such regression, there is the fact that many such therapists aren't actually qualified for it either and you end up being led by the therapists own narrative and paying handsomely for it.
Yup, this is the real problem.
One of my own teachers discouraged it unless I felt it was really necessary for all these reasons.
I assume he would help you himself right?
maybay

Post by maybay »

Could you go through it without the slightest expectation?
People will know nothing and everything
Remember nothing and everything
Think nothing and everything
Do nothing and everything
- Machig Labdron
Anders

Post by Anders »

Dechen Norbu wrote:Interesting. Where have you heard this?
My teacher. And also from some hypnotic therapists who practise this sort of thing. It was on my mind at one point, so I checked it out a bit.
I assume he would help you himself right?
She said if I really felt it was so important, I could just develop the meditative skill to check it out myself. :D

--- Gandavyuha Sutra
Dechen Norbu

Post by Dechen Norbu »

Thanks Anders. That's cool.

Return to “Mahāyāna Buddhism”