Was Just Ganged Up On By Friends

Help required with personal difficulties.
snowlions

Was Just Ganged Up On By Friends

Post by snowlions »

This is my first post, but I've been coming here browsing for a little while now thanks to a friend introducing me.

Anyway, the real point of this post is that I was just on facebook and a couple of my friends along with some of their friends essentially belittled me over something as trivial as a website. The website is Reddit, which is an open forum with things called subreddits, which are certain sections (like this one). Now, normally it tends to be flooded with internet humor and inside jokes and whatnot, but I've taken to heading over to the Buddhism subreddit to discuss the dharma with people, seek or offer advice, interpretation, etc.

My one friend originally posted an article discussing the misogynistic tendencies of individuals that can be found on Reddit, along with a caption that read, "end reddit"

I equated this to how many Americans say things like, "Nuke the Middle East" because it's not about the results being the same, but rather the vacuum of understanding and the emotional kind of crusade that makes you want to "destroy every redditor" or "destroy reddit culture."
There was a recent scandal about underage threads being posted, and so Reddit took them down, but apparently others still exist and there are also threads about harming women/domestic violence/rape etc.
Needless to say I support none of these things, I do what I can to help spread more positivity throughout the community, and spend most of my time, like I said, in the Buddhism part.
However, I was basically relentlessly accused of being ignorant, with a sort of out of sight/out of mind philosophy, and of supporting a site that "supports" these kinds of abusive comments/threads. I find this difficult to deal with because Reddit is a huge forum, and I don't usually run into anything but positive people. When I see the opposite, I just don't feed into it or, if it's something over the line, I report it.

I'm not sure what I should be doing/feeling because I have my own virtues and morals, and those threads conflict with them inexplicably, but I also recognize the public setup of any forum and that it all opens up gates for trouble. One of the things my friend said to me was that I'd never experience misogyny so I basically just don't understand what she's talking about, but I find that to be similar to the misogyny she's criticizing herself. After all, we're friends and I quite obviously do not favor any attitude that lacks compassion and/or leads to harm.

Your input would be most appreciated, everybody. Thank you.

Om mani padme hum.
"The way of exercising inscrutability is that you don’t spell out the truth. You imply the truth with wakeful delight in your accomplishment. What is wrong with spelling out the truth? When you spell out the truth it loses it’s essence and becomes either 'my truth' or 'your' truth. When you spell out the truth you are spending your capital while no one gets any profit. It becomes undignified, a giveaway. By implying the truth, the truth doesn’t become anyone’s property."
  • —Chogyam Trungpa, Shambhala: Sacred Path of the Warrior
Mr. G

Re: Was Just Ganged Up On By Friends

Post by Mr. G »

I'm on Reddit, and there are a couple of Redittors here - there's all sorts of politically incorrect nonsense on there. It is what it is - it's a fun way to waste some time. The Buddhism subreddit is really lacking in sound content and advice. I wouldn't take the site, nor your friends too seriously.
  • How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu
snowlions

Post by snowlions »

Mr. G wrote:I'm on Reddit, and there are a couple of Redittors here - there's all sorts of politically incorrect nonsense on there. It is what it is - it's a fun way to waste some time. The Buddhism subreddit is really lacking in sound content and advice. I wouldn't take the site, nor your friends too seriously.
Thank you! I'm very picky about the Buddhism subreddit, I usually only submit things I've been taught or have read, and I always make sure to quote when I do or just explain clearly and toss the ball back in their court. You're right, it is very lacking, though. I've always found Dharma Wheel much better but I'm not used to the layout just yet. I still find it a little overwhelming and difficult to get to where I want to go exactly, but I'm sure it will grow on me. Thank you for your input, in just a few words you have made me feel much better.
"The way of exercising inscrutability is that you don’t spell out the truth. You imply the truth with wakeful delight in your accomplishment. What is wrong with spelling out the truth? When you spell out the truth it loses it’s essence and becomes either 'my truth' or 'your' truth. When you spell out the truth you are spending your capital while no one gets any profit. It becomes undignified, a giveaway. By implying the truth, the truth doesn’t become anyone’s property."
Mr. G

Post by Mr. G »

No prob.

Now get off Reddit and back to work after enjoying this picture of a Monkey saving a dog from an explosion in China

:D
  • How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu
snowlions

Post by snowlions »

Mr. G wrote:No prob.

Now get off Reddit and back to work after enjoying this picture of a Monkey saving a dog from an explosion in China

:D
Haaaa, you know me all too well already. Work will have to wait a little bit, though, I've been persevering all day and am now getting a bit cross-eyed haha
Thrasymachus

Post by Thrasymachus »

Simple, don't use facebook, delete your account. I am not on that horrible site. I know two sisters who have had a real life fight and feud based on that site. Personally I read reddit and it can be a good source for information. But facebook is much more sinister and encourages vapid comments, empty interaction, attention whoring, acting like you are the center of some small online universe. It is almost wholly negative, what went down there offended you enough to complain here, so just walk away. Not to mention that George Orwell incorrectly postulated that in the future, 1984, the state would have to spy on citizens to maintain the correct views. He could not foresee that citizens would give all their vital personal information and personal contacts to a for profit corporation, which in turn would sell that info to world governments for the right price.
odysseus

Post by odysseus »

Thrasymachus: I´m not so concerned about the Orwell aspect of facebook, but rather that you lose contact with people in real life and everybody posts their activities on facebook. It makes life boring and yes, the comments there are boring to read. I use it, but I have my breaks from it because I think it´s a stupid way of interaction. That goes for other "social networks" too. Just a comment...
Konchog1

Post by Konchog1 »

snowlions wrote:First Post
She's irrational. She's fulfilling her emotional needs by fighting for The Cause. Pay her no mind.
11. Not fit to be trusted even for one day,
Their thoughts determinedly set on misbehavior,
Just acting friendly, these friends of no virtue
Play the friend when they wish, the enemy when they don’t.

-A Song of Longing for Tara by Lozang Tanpa Gyalts’an
Equanimity is the ground. Love is the moisture. Compassion is the seed. Bodhicitta is the result.

-Paraphrase of Khensur Rinpoche Lobsang Tsephel citing the Guhyasamaja Tantra

"All memories and thoughts are the union of emptiness and knowing, the Mind.
Without attachment, self-liberating, like a snake in a knot.
Through the qualities of meditating in that way,
Mental obscurations are purified and the dharmakaya is attained."

-Ra Lotsawa, All-pervading Melodious Drumbeats

Return to “Help Required”