Here an explanation done by Lopon Tenzin Namdak Rinpoche, about the Master – student relation in Bon Dzogchen.
Explained are some qualities as well from the Master as well his/her student.
Nyam zhag Gom pai Lag len – The teachings of Equipose.
It is taken out the Zhang Zhung Nyen Gyud Dzogchen cycle of Teachings and explained by: H.E. Lopon Tenzin Namdak Rinpoche, the Rigdzin of the Bon Zhang Zhung Nyen Gyud Lineage.
Here is by Lopon Lak explained that a Dzogchen Master must have the 4 qualifications namely:
1) The Master has received transmission purely in an unbroken lineage
2) The Master knows the meaning of the text without mixing it with others like Sutra, Tantra or other Dzogchen Teachings. It should be kept pure.
3) The Master is not merely able to repeat the text but also has experience and has all practised
4) The Master is not influenced by other lineages or texts, but keeps this lineage purely
Those who listen and receive Teachings from such a Master must know what they are listening to, which text it is and what its contents are. Then you have devotion to the / this text, purely, without influence from other texts or lineages.
So these are the qualities from the students:
1) To know the meaning of the text
2) To have devotion to the text and meaning
3) To have belief, trust, patience and determination to practice
4) While studying, learning and practising, you have to take compassion as the base
5) Always keep faithfully vows to Masters and Yidams. Honour them always respectfully.
The general mentality of the student would be that the Dzogchenpa must be open, not sectarian.
Discussion of the fifth religious tradition of Tibet.
1 post • Page 1 of 1