Compassion is more than your books.

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
neerdowell

Re: Compassion is more than your books.

Post by neerdowell »

Yep. I wonder why it is that Christians generally know more about it.
muni

Post by muni »

"Compassion", seen through miperception is for fools since it has no controlling power. Controlling intelligence is mistakenly seen as being wisdom.
What more can contradict the buddha's teachings?

There is no single grain of sand to hold on.

Worldly power is a dry drop in the vast ocean of Bodhichitta.
Paul

Post by Paul »

I've been into conspiracy theories for a long, long time. When I was a young teenager I used to read articles by John Lear and especially William Cooper. I still listen to a lot of William Cooper's stuff - he was a great story teller. The thing is, although it's very entertaining, it's nearly 100% untrue. Conspiracy writers don't make everything up but they draw connections that are simply not there and don't actually fit historically - this seems to be more common in people dealing with symbols. This is why they can be so convincing - the surface evidence seems to be there. But if you look - for example - at the actual age of the eye of providence as a Masonic symbol, you can see it was adopted after the use of it on the dollar bill. Although I guess that's a cheap way of getting your secret symbols in influential places.

As Robert Anton Wilson (and Umberto Eco and tragically Paul Bennewitz) showed, conspiracies are a black hole that will suck you in with confirmation bias.
Look at the unfathomable spinelessness of man: all the means he's been given to stay alert he uses, in the end, to ornament his sleep. – Rene Daumal
the modern mind has become so limited and single-visioned that it has lost touch with normal perception - John Michell
muni

Post by muni »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xP7IPDfC3yg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by Dechen Norbu on Fri May 04, 2012 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Link removed (author's request)
Infinite

Post by Infinite »

Paul wrote:I've been into conspiracy theories for a long, long time. When I was a young teenager I used to read articles by John Lear and especially William Cooper. I still listen to a lot of William Cooper's stuff - he was a great story teller. The thing is, although it's very entertaining, it's nearly 100% untrue. Conspiracy writers don't make everything up but they draw connections that are simply not there and don't actually fit historically - this seems to be more common in people dealing with symbols. This is why they can be so convincing - the surface evidence seems to be there. But if you look - for example - at the actual age of the eye of providence as a Masonic symbol, you can see it was adopted after the use of it on the dollar bill. Although I guess that's a cheap way of getting your secret symbols in influential places.

As Robert Anton Wilson (and Umberto Eco and tragically Paul Bennewitz) showed, conspiracies are a black hole that will suck you in with confirmation bias.
^Pretty much. Conspiracy Theories also suffer from Correlation=Causation which is a logical fallacy properly known as Post hoc ergo propter hoc. Conspiracy Theories are a delusion that is basically attempting to assign order to chaos and apply sinister connections to what is typically just Human Arrogance/Ignorance.
Paul

Post by Paul »

Infinite wrote:
Paul wrote:I've been into conspiracy theories for a long, long time. When I was a young teenager I used to read articles by John Lear and especially William Cooper. I still listen to a lot of William Cooper's stuff - he was a great story teller. The thing is, although it's very entertaining, it's nearly 100% untrue. Conspiracy writers don't make everything up but they draw connections that are simply not there and don't actually fit historically - this seems to be more common in people dealing with symbols. This is why they can be so convincing - the surface evidence seems to be there. But if you look - for example - at the actual age of the eye of providence as a Masonic symbol, you can see it was adopted after the use of it on the dollar bill. Although I guess that's a cheap way of getting your secret symbols in influential places.

^Pretty much. Conspiracy Theories also suffer from Correlation=Causation which is a logical fallacy properly known as Post hoc ergo propter hoc. Conspiracy Theories are a delusion that is basically attempting to assign order to chaos and apply sinister connections to what is typically just Human Arrogance/Ignorance.
You also can't disprove them - or at least the most intricate ones.
Look at the unfathomable spinelessness of man: all the means he's been given to stay alert he uses, in the end, to ornament his sleep. – Rene Daumal
the modern mind has become so limited and single-visioned that it has lost touch with normal perception - John Michell
muni

Post by muni »

Investigation about mercury and Autism Spectrum could not be proved is me here just said. Its a question to see clear and yes indeed investigation is better than swallow. Since when such propaganda roll over the screens, there is also research which is not so easy agreeing with such logics.

We must be careful for the manipulating muppet show.

Before all who was a bit emotional reacting got the label hysteria, now that turned in many labels and causes and treadments.
Last edited by muni on Thu May 03, 2012 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
muni

Post by muni »

Then must say, there is so called scientifical investigation which is filling their pockets and helping the economy. therefore investigation must be vast.
All those products to lose weight or be for ever young, good builded body (botox...) are also "scientifical tested" and promoted.
Last edited by muni on Thu May 03, 2012 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Lhug-pa's quote from G. Higgins is wrong, there is no "account" given by Mr Moorcroft, only this description of a cloak worn by a Tibetan:
On the back of this habit, and on the right shoulder were sewed the saw, adze, chisel, rule, and all the insignia of Free Masonry in iron ; the symbols of a fraternity, of which he said he was a member.
The Asiatic Researches volume the quote was in, came out in 1818, so the Moorcroft expedition was some years earlier (I did not check exactly). While an ancient form of Asian Masonry may exist, the British introduced, into India, their own ordinary form of Freemasonry. So this Tibetan who worked with the British may have joined that ordinary form. Of course, I am not sure in what year the British did plant Masonry in India.
May all seek, find & follow the Path of Buddhas.
Dechen Norbu

Post by Dechen Norbu »

Hi guys!
Perhaps I should say something in this thread, since it was I who asked Tony to confine "conspiracy theories" (not trying to be derisive here, just using a vulgar term) to the Lounge.

Tony, you are not confined to the Lounge, for goodness sake! Write wherever you want, please!

I just asked you to keep these particular subjects to the lounge. I noticed you were placing on different topics posts that have more to do with these "conspiracy theories" than the subject of the topics themselves. This can lead topics to derail. Don't take it the wrong way, OK? It's just a matter of keeping the forum tidy.

That's all. Don't feel constrained. You can post anywhere you like, but I would appreciate that you confined this sort of subjects to the Lounge forum.
I believe I was clear in the PM I sent you, but one can never be sure... :smile:

Best wishes!
Lhug-Pa

Post by Lhug-Pa »

H.P. Blavatsky (parenthesis notes not hers) wrote:"No wonder that the Northern seer, Swedenborg, advises people to search for the (Secret Mantra) LOST WORD (of Masonry) among the hierophants of Tartary, China, and Thibet."
Hi Will, related to what you said about ordinary British Freemasonry:

Isabel Cooper-Oakley quoted C.W. King who wrote:"A Master Mason of the very highest degree lately informed me that he had detected the signs now in use engraved amongst the sculptures in the Cave-Temples of Elephanta;
Manly P. Hall 33º wrote:"On the mandalas of the Tibetans, heaven is laid out in the form of a cross, with a demon king at each of the four gates. A remarkable cross of great antiquity was discovered in the island caves of Elephanta in the harbor of Bombay. Crosses of various kinds were favorite motifs in the art of Chaldea, Phœnicia, Egypt, and Assyria. The initiates of the Eleusinian Mysteries of Greece were given a cross which they suspended about their necks on a chain, or cord, at the time of initiation. To the Rosicrucians, Alchemists, and Illuminati, the cross was the symbol of light..."
and, what is still more important that although Brahmins are Masons, yet if a European makes the sign to them, they immediately put their hands before their eyes, as if to shut out the sight of the profanation of things holy. But the curious fact can be explained with the utmost certainty."
Have you ever read any of the writings of Godfrey Higgins (not to be confused with Frank C. Higgins) ? His works were referred to often by Theosophists such as Manly P. Hall and H.P. Blavatsky.
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Yes Lhug-pa, [what does your screen name mean?] I have Higgins' Anacalypsis volumes, but have read only half or so of it and that was years ago.
May all seek, find & follow the Path of Buddhas.
Dechen Norbu

Post by Dechen Norbu »

It's just an expression. :smile:
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

I don't think an earnest discussion of Buddha Dharma is necessarily interconnected with any particular theory of external mind control. Example: Buddha Shakyamuni was able to teach without reference to Art Bell. Example: Chih-i was able to teach Dharma without recourse to anxiety over water flouridation. &c

Dharma is perfectly separable from conspiratorial and in some cases paranoid thinking. I'm not accusing Tony of paranoia. I am saying that some of the views expressed in this thread seem paranoid to me. Buddhism is not about paranoia.

In the meanwhile, and since we're in the lounge, I will leave you with the real truth about the new world order:

http://www.anomalies-unlimited.com/Denver_Airport.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
muni

Post by muni »

[quote="muni"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xP7IPDfC3yg

Is it possible moderators to undo that second youtube in my earlier post, I already here deleted? Thank you very much. :namaste:

Furthermore i must say: all is compassion, we cannot close our eyes and hold on theoretical dharma, dharma must emerge in daily life, we are not separate.
Lhug-Pa

Post by Lhug-Pa »

Paul wrote:I've been into conspiracy theories for a long, long time. When I was a young teenager I used to read articles by John Lear and especially William Cooper.
Behold a Pale Horse was the first conspiracy book I ever read. A popular reference in Hip-Hop too. There's even a MC who named himself after William Cooper lol :thumbsup:
plwk

Post by plwk »

Buddhism is totally about paranoia. Believing the unreal to be real.
Right...from your perspective, of course... :thinking:
Infinite

Post by Infinite »

This place just gets stranger and stranger. :spy:
muni

Post by muni »

I don't know how people percieve this. The pollution and influences on health for example, we can push our head in the sand. More I have not to say, but we can inform us and be generous by protection, talk about. :group: We are not nihilists.

:namaste:
muni

Post by muni »

Infinite wrote:This place just gets stranger and stranger. :spy:
Dharma in texts is good of course. But how for example to act in this world by Dharma? The father of Gautama was keeping him away from suffering beings, so that he should not see it. He escaped the "safe place" knew how suffering is , the temporary, believe in self and so on. Than he thaught many. When the self dissolves, than compassion is spontaneous "for all", not?
We shouldn't run with a holly head around while people are suffering. We cannot talk about Dharma texts while children are eating unhealthy things and so on. We can be careful, not be afraid and we can protect. (Paramitas).

This is only how I see, and apologize to pollute this tread. :namaste:

Return to “Lounge”