Dzogchen Chanting

Blue Garuda

Dzogchen Chanting

Post by Blue Garuda »

I know next to nothing about Dzogchen and indeed the Nyingma in general.

My background is Gelugpa where the chanting I have encountered has been fairly flat or the deep throat chanting I can almost accomplish at times.

I have recently posted about receiving an empowerment form Dozgchen Rinpoche, in the course of which I received a mantra and also bought a CD of Dzogchen Monastery Chants.

I find the chants completely engrossing as they enter my mind, almost hypnotic, and chanting the one for which I have transmission is a wonderful experience.

The complexity of the Dzogchen chants seems to involve a lot of singing 'around' each syllable rather than simple enunciation, and some variation such as 'OYM' at the start rather than 'OM' or 'AUMN'.

Is this a characteristic?

Is it was intended to disguise the mantra, or because it is rooted in a more ancient form, etc ?

Here's an example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YSlU1_kd-A" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Left
Malcolm

Re: Dzogchen Chanting

Post by Malcolm »

Blue Garuda wrote:I know next to nothing about Dzogchen and indeed the Nyingma in general.

My background is Gelugpa where the chanting I have encountered has been fairly flat or the deep throat chanting I can almost accomplish at times.

I have recently posted about receiving an empowerment form Dozgchen Rinpoche, in the course of which I received a mantra and also bought a CD of Dzogchen Monastery Chants.

I find the chants completely engrossing as they enter my mind, almost hypnotic, and chanting the one for which I have transmission is a wonderful experience.

The complexity of the Dzogchen chants seems to involve a lot of singing 'around' each syllable rather than simple enunciation, and some variation such as 'OYM' at the start rather than 'OM' or 'AUMN'.

Is it was intended to disguise the mantra, or because it is rooted in a more ancient form, etc ?

Here's an example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YSlU1_kd-A" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It is just style.
Blue Garuda

Post by Blue Garuda »

Namdrol wrote:
Blue Garuda wrote:I know next to nothing about Dzogchen and indeed the Nyingma in general.

Here's an example:

It is just style.

Thank you.

Is that from lineage practices or an aspect of regional linguistics. ?
Left
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

I think it's a combination of a lot of things.....melodies and means of chanting sometimes came to great masters in "visions," etc.

There's a funny song, I think it was from Jamyang Khyentse Wangpo, about the differences between lineages--and he talks about the differences in chanting styles--"Gandenpas chant from deep below, Nyingmas chant through the nose, " or some sort of funny comments like that. He also pokes fun of every lineage, before really making some terse statements about the great benefit of all....

There are quite elaborate systems of music, melody, chanting, etc., for every lineage--even for sub-lineages. I'm sure even the various Nyingma lineages have quite a variety of styles, melodies, etc.

A few years back I was very fortunate to have two Bhutanese (Drukpa Kagyu) Loppons stay with me for a while, and we did a shrine consecration--I joined them, and their methods of chanting, melodies, music, etc. was utterly unlike what I'd been taught. The varieties are truly endless!
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
Blue Garuda

Post by Blue Garuda »

conebeckham wrote:I think it's a combination of a lot of things.....melodies and means of chanting sometimes came to great masters in "visions," etc.

There's a funny song, I think it was from Jamyang Khyentse Wangpo, about the differences between lineages--and he talks about the differences in chanting styles--"Gandenpas chant from deep below, Nyingmas chant through the nose, " or some sort of funny comments like that. He also pokes fun of every lineage, before really making some terse statements about the great benefit of all....

There are quite elaborate systems of music, melody, chanting, etc., for every lineage--even for sub-lineages. I'm sure even the various Nyingma lineages have quite a variety of styles, melodies, etc.

A few years back I was very fortunate to have two Bhutanese (Drukpa Kagyu) Loppons stay with me for a while, and we did a shrine consecration--I joined them, and their methods of chanting, melodies, music, etc. was utterly unlike what I'd been taught. The varieties are truly endless!
Ah, thanks. :)

At the moment, when unfamiliar, I just rise and fall with the tide of actions by those who know what they are doing! LOL :)
Left
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Blue Garuda wrote:
conebeckham wrote:I think it's a combination of a lot of things.....melodies and means of chanting sometimes came to great masters in "visions," etc.

Ah, thanks. :)

At the moment, when unfamiliar, I just rise and fall with the tide of actions by those who know what they are doing! LOL :)
The most profound Dzogchen chant is Song of the Vajra.

N
Blue Garuda

Post by Blue Garuda »

Namdrol wrote:
The most profound Dzogchen chant is Song of the Vajra.

N
Thanks. :)

I have the Nyenpa Lha Sum chant.

The CD has:
Seven line Prayer
Benza Guru Mantra
Bodhicitta Prayer
Om Mani..
Long life Prayer
Prayer for the Tradition

Does the Song of the Vajra require transmission or is it available generally. If so, where can I find it please?
Left
Josef

Post by Josef »

Blue Garuda wrote:
Does the Song of the Vajra require transmission or is it available generally. If so, where can I find it please?
You can get the transmission and text via tonights webcast most likely.

I used to be self conscious about the chanting/singing practices until I started doing the SOV daily.
Now it is one of the most profound practices I have ever encountered. There is a diverse range of applications for it.

The SOV basically turns you into a walking dispensary of ma sgom sangs rgyas chos lnga for the beings you encounter as long as you are present of your potential to benefit then through the practice.
"All phenomena of samsara depend on the mind, so when the essence of mind is purified, samsara is purified. Since the phenomena of nirvana depend on the pristine consciousness of vidyā, because one remains in the immediacy of vidyā, buddhahood arises on its own. All critical points are summarized with those two." - Longchenpa
Blue Garuda

Post by Blue Garuda »

Nangwa wrote:
Blue Garuda wrote:

I used to be self conscious about the chanting/singing practices until I started doing the SOV daily.
Now it is one of the most profound practices I have ever encountered. There is a diverse range of applications for it.

The SOV basically turns you into a walking dispensary of ma sgom sangs rgyas chos lnga for the beings you encounter as long as you are present of your potential to benefit then through the practice.

Is there a link or is it closed?
Left
Josef

Post by Josef »

Blue Garuda wrote:
Nangwa wrote:
Blue Garuda wrote:

Is there a link or is it closed?
It's open.
http://www.shangshunginstitute.net/webcast/video.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"All phenomena of samsara depend on the mind, so when the essence of mind is purified, samsara is purified. Since the phenomena of nirvana depend on the pristine consciousness of vidyā, because one remains in the immediacy of vidyā, buddhahood arises on its own. All critical points are summarized with those two." - Longchenpa
Blue Garuda

Post by Blue Garuda »

Nangwa wrote:/quote]

It's open.
http://www.shangshunginstitute.net/webcast/video.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Seems I'm too late for May 7th - did you mean May 8th?
Left
Kilaya.

Post by Kilaya. »

Nangwa wrote: The SOV basically turns you into a walking dispensary of ma sgom sangs rgyas chos lnga
Meaning?
Look at those charlatans, madly engaged
in fervent argument.
- Milarepa
pensum

Post by pensum »

Kilaya. wrote:
Nangwa wrote: The SOV basically turns you into a walking dispensary of ma sgom sangs rgyas chos lnga
Meaning?
The five methods of liberation without meditating, namely through seeing, hearing, touch, taste and wearing.
Kilaya.

Post by Kilaya. »

pensum wrote:
Kilaya. wrote:
Meaning?
The five methods of liberation without meditating, namely through seeing, hearing, touch, taste and wearing.
Thanks!
Look at those charlatans, madly engaged
in fervent argument.
- Milarepa

Return to “Dzogchen”